Nontraditional Applicant, LSAT importance/Retake

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thesilentman

Nontraditional Applicant, LSAT importance/Retake

Postby thesilentman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:38 pm

I am a nontraditional applicant preparing to apply for law school for the first time. 3.72/168 graduated 6 years ago in poli-sci/econ dual major from a well-regarded private university, not a URM. While still an undergrad, I started a career in the private sector. I have since ascended to a high-level management position with direct report to CEO (organization of ~5000 employees) and staff of 12 that I manage directly. I'm now looking to start a new career in law.

My goal is to reach into the T-14. Specifically looking at Duke/Georgetown as top choices with interest Cornell as well. If not looking for $ at a T-30, perhaps GWU/WUSTL/BC/BU.

A few questions:
1. Does my management experience and proven track record in business give me a significant leg up? I believe through resume/PS/LOR I can make a compelling case that it does.
2. Is this enough to overcome a median or lower LSAT at Duke/Georgetown/Cornell, or is it worth retaking in October? Realistically I think I can hit 172 but doubt higher given my continuing hectic work schedule.
3. If retaking causes me to submit applications towards the Thanksgiving timeframe (hopefully just before), is this a significant enough disadvantage that I should wait for the February LSAT and apply next fall?

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

rinkrat19

Re: Nontraditional Applicant, LSAT importance/Retake

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:43 pm

Northwestern.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:46 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Northwestern.

+1. The WE is a good soft factor, but won't overcome a sub-median LSAT. Retake, pick uo 3-5 points, and do really well.

thesilentman

Postby thesilentman » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:45 am

Northwestern favors people with business backgrounds? or work experience in general?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:09 am

I don't think that your managerial experience will give you a huge leg up in admissions, though it will help more when you go through OCI. I think you may get one of the above schools (maybe more), but none are a slam dunk. I would throw Michigan and Northwestern into the mix if you can stand the midwest. I got into Cornell ($$), Duke ($) and Michigan with work experience, a 169 and a lower GPA than yours. Did not apply to GT or NW, dinged at VA. I think if you managed a 170 you would have your pick of the schools you mentioned and have a decent shot at some money from the t-14.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:50 am

thesilentman wrote:Northwestern favors people with business backgrounds? or work experience in general?

Work experience in general, as long as it's somewhat substantive. Your WE will be looked at quite favorably at Northwestern. I know the law school has a close relationship with Kellogg, the business school, so business WE may be very slightly preferred.

On a different note, are you classifying yourself as non-traditional just because you've been out of undergrad for six years? If you graduated UG at the "normal" age (~22), you're a little old for other T14s, but at Northwestern, you'd be not much above the average age. Just FWIW. (For many, myself included, that's another point in the NU column!)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”