How to: Letter of Recommendation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ajerlow

How to: Letter of Recommendation

Postby ajerlow » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:35 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to include as far as instructions to your evaulators for the letters of recommendation that they will send on to LSAC.
LSAC isn't too specific about how to direct the people who will be writing your LOR on the process. Anything helps, thanks!

Yeshia90

Re: How to: Letter of Recommendation

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:42 pm

Most professors have already written letters of recommendation for other students, so they're familiar with the process. I'd actually built pretty nice relationships with a couple of my teachers, so it wasn't a matter of asking whether they'd be willing to write me one, just one of giving them my PS, resume, transcript, and a paragraph about what I'd like them to mention (i.e.: my ability to grasp and comprehend difficult material, classroom participation and enthusiasm, taking leadership roles, passion for the material, etc.). One asked me to answer a few additional questions to help him tailor the LoR, so I doubt this is something you really have to worry about.

ajerlow

Postby ajerlow » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:40 pm

Thanks for the advice!

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:58 pm

I am wondering how to go about asking for them. I have one professor who has offered several times to write one, so I merely have to give her the information when I'm ready, but I have another who I only mentioned it in passing to and haven't seen him since (it's been some time). How do I go about asking him. He's incredibly busy (he's a county prosecutor as well as an adjunct professor). I've heard it's in poor taste to ask about it in an email, but I don't think he will have time to meet with me to discuss it.

ajerlow

Postby ajerlow » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:51 am

I asked my prof a few weeks after graduation and had to send her an e-mail to do so. It probably would have been better for me to ask in person, but the circumstances didn't really allow it so e-mail it was. Anyway, she agreed to write me a LoR so I'm guessing that it won't hurt you. Especially if you've already mentioned it to them.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:23 pm

Thanks. I'm hoping that I'll run into him at school and get a chance to talk to him, but he comes directly from work to teach class, sometimes directly from court. He leaves immediately after too, so it's tough.

I'm hoping an email will be okay. Any ideas on what one would say in such an email? I haven't spoken to him in over a year, and I don't know him THAT well.

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:25 pm

Just be like hello, I was your student in such and such class and I was wondering if you'd be willing to write a LOR for me for law school. Offer to give him any kind of information and maybe some of your time to meet or talk over the phone or whatever.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:28 pm

Most profs know and understand that this is part of their job description. If they already asked you I would just send them an email and ask for a meeting to say hi and talk about a letter of rec for law school.

Just ask, there really isn't much more to it than that but I think doing it in person if possible is the way to go.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:30 pm

I asked for, and sat down with mine for about an hour talking about my life/goals, they knew it was coming, and that was it. Like it's been said- it is part of their job. Don't be weird about it.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:11 pm

I suppose I can't be the first to ask. He teaches a business law class and is the only professor on my small campus who went to law school. He certainly must be expecting it.

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:24 am

and how to send professors the LSAC forms? attach (completed) scanned forms to email? Send a nice little package to them in the mail with transcripts and addressed envelopes? What do you guys think works best?

Neatrends

Postby Neatrends » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:38 am

loomstate wrote:and how to send professors the LSAC forms? attach (completed) scanned forms to email? Send a nice little package to them in the mail with transcripts and addressed envelopes? What do you guys think works best?

I was wondering the same thing; conclusion I came to is that since they are required to send a physical version of the LSAC form, sending them a printed form alongside a stamped envelope addressed to LSAC, would be most convenient for them.

Wondering what the experience has been for those of you who have already gone through the LOR process??

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:49 am

Neatrends wrote:
loomstate wrote:and how to send professors the LSAC forms? attach (completed) scanned forms to email? Send a nice little package to them in the mail with transcripts and addressed envelopes? What do you guys think works best?

I was wondering the same thing; conclusion I came to is that since they are required to send a physical version of the LSAC form, sending them a printed form alongside a stamped envelope addressed to LSAC, would be most convenient for them.

Wondering what the experience has been for those of you who have already gone through the LOR process??

I decided to do this. I emailed each professor to make sure they were willing, they all said yes, so now I'm sending a manilla folder with everything to each professor. Also I'm thinking that since it will be easier on them they will get it done faster/not be in a pissy mood when they write the letters themselves. For many cases these interactions will be the last with these professors so I think it's good to leave a good impression and show you're serious about law school.

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:29 pm

Also, for anyone using this as a reference, IMPOSE PSEUDO DEADLINES ON YOUR PROFESSORS.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”