Retake? and When?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hadisious

Retake? and When?

Postby hadisious » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:43 am

--
Last edited by hadisious on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Re: Retake? and When?

Postby Samara » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:02 am

A 3.8/158 (not sure if CU-B averages or not) with good WE is not out of the question at CU-B. Their 25th is only 160. That said, I do think you should retake, considering that you're now willing to put in the kind of studying that you weren't before. If you get it up to 162 or so, you have a good shot, 165 and you're golden. With some good studying, that is not at all out of the question. So, I say retake in December and see what happens. It's not super late, especially for somewhere like CU-B I imagine. Plus, you can always reapply next cycle.

As I am sure many others will tell you, aim higher than CU-B. If you can get your LSAT up to 165, you can get into much better schools. Up to 168-170 and you could crack the T14. Good luck!

hadisious

Postby hadisious » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:27 am

---

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:53 am

I think you're putting too much weight on ED. The difference between a 158 and a 163 is the difference between being below the LSAT 25th and at the median. With a GPA that high and a median LSAT, I can't imagine that applying a little late is going to be so damaging that it will preclude you from admission. Applying early is more important to splitters and people on the bubble.

hadisious

Postby hadisious » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:41 pm

--

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:05 pm

Well, you can tell them that you're retaking, but I think you have to tell them to either consider your application with your current scores or hold your application until December/January. Under the latter option, you're in the same boat as if you waited to submit your app. Under the former option, you run the risk of rejection before the retake.

If you're willing to wait a cycle to retake the LSAT, then you're willing to reapply next cycle, right? I say submit after the retake and if you underperform your numbers, try again next year. If you wait until after the retake, you'll also be in a better position to assess your target schools. The only downside is that if you're set on CU-B, applying late risks losing out on schollies, but applying early with a lower score isn't going to help you there either.

It's a lot to consider, but ultimately, I think you can't go wrong with a retake. Good luck and update us on your cycle! (And, as I'm sure you know, the LSAT Prep forum here has tons of great advice.)

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:06 pm

If I was in your situation (which really isn't that bad of a situation to be in :D), register for the October LSAT, start studying your ass off right now, determine where you think you're scoring a few days before, and decide whether or not to delay till December. I think for someone who's already taken the test twice (and is clearly capable of scoring in the high 150s during an actual administration) you should have no problem cracking the 160s in 6-7 weeks. After all, you just want to be a lock at Boulder right? I think a 3.8/161+ should do that.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”