Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Wade LeBosh
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:46 pm

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby Wade LeBosh » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:15 am

PDaddy wrote:Yeah? Adcoms agree with me.


PDaddy wrote:If you have enough evidence that says otherwise, please, enlighten us.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby bjsesq » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:16 am

Wade LeBosh wrote:
PDaddy wrote:Yeah? Adcoms agree with me.


PDaddy wrote:If you have enough evidence that says otherwise, please, enlighten us.


Are you saying this is evidence? His claim that adcoms agree with him?

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby PDaddy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:18 am

bjsesq wrote:
It may make up for a little, but not an appreciable amount. If you have enough evidence that says otherwise, please, enlighten us. Also, stop arguing that ug psychology isn't a joke, dude. It is.


Ok...I get your point. I think most majors are good, depending on what the course load is and what the person takes from it. But if it's generally considered to be a joke, I won't argue the point. I can only speak from my experience at my university (a national top-10 public).

Glad I wasn't a psych major. Jeez! :lol:

User avatar
Wade LeBosh
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:46 pm

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby Wade LeBosh » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:19 am

bjsesq wrote:
Wade LeBosh wrote:
PDaddy wrote:Yeah? Adcoms agree with me.


PDaddy wrote:If you have enough evidence that says otherwise, please, enlighten us.


Are you saying this is evidence? His claim that adcoms agree with him?


I found it funny someone would make a baseless claim and then demand evidence from someone else soon after.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby bjsesq » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:20 am

PDaddy wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
It may make up for a little, but not an appreciable amount. If you have enough evidence that says otherwise, please, enlighten us. Also, stop arguing that ug psychology isn't a joke, dude. It is.


Ok...I get your point. I think most majors are good, depending on what the course load is and what the person takes from it. But if it's generally considered to be a joke, I won't argue the point. I can only speak from my experience at my university (a national top-10 public).

Glad I wasn't a psych major. Jeez! :lol:


I was a criminal justice major and am proud to claim that my major is, almost without exception, complete and utter garbage.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby bjsesq » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:21 am

Wade LeBosh wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Wade LeBosh wrote:
PDaddy wrote:Yeah? Adcoms agree with me.


PDaddy wrote:If you have enough evidence that says otherwise, please, enlighten us.


Are you saying this is evidence? His claim that adcoms agree with him?


I found it funny someone would make a baseless claim and then demand evidence from someone else soon after.


:?

I said the second line.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby PDaddy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:21 am

bjsesq wrote:
Are you saying this is evidence? His claim that adcoms agree with him?


This is not evidence. Why the focus on Psychology. My point is that a lower GPA in a tough science major (even if we exclude psychology) will win out over a higher major in a less demanding major, all else being equal.

Quit acting like I said some random ugly chick is as hot as Scarlett Johansson.

User avatar
IamJosh
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:35 am

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby IamJosh » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:22 am

PDaddy wrote:And I don't knoiw what schools you guys went to, but Psychology is a very tough major at the top universities, one of which I graduated from. The average grade in the 100 level psychology courses is about 2.7.


Okay, you're right and wrong. My psych 101 professor told me that most psych majors get their lowest major grade in 101. It's a weed-out class at "top" schools. Upper level classes? Not so hard. Psych will always be a joke major, and I say that as someone who considered it for a really long time (and decided against it for unrelated reasons.) I'll also say that I completely screwed up in that class, so I'm not coming from a position of "I got an A+++ without studying so everyone else should, too." But I will say that my professor basically told me she didn't want to teach the class and one of my TA's could barely speak English and she graded two of my papers. Despite my not doing well, the class was still a bit of a joke.

On topic: Major difficulty is totally arbitrary. I have a buddy who is a total math genius and is really good in the sciences. He'll probably keep a 3.8+ GPA through undergrad as an econ/bio major (or whatever he ends up doing along those lines) but he'd be a C student as an English major. Really, really smart... but inarticulate. Is English a harder major than bio? No. It depends on what one is good at. The only thing that can be measured is workload, and that MIGHT carry a little weight?

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby bjsesq » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:24 am

PDaddy wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Are you saying this is evidence? His claim that adcoms agree with him?


This is not evidence. Why the focus on Psychology. My point is that a lower GPA in a tough science major (even if we exclude psychology) will win out over a higher major in a less demanding major, all else being equal.

Quit acting like I said some random ugly chick is as hot as Scarlett Johansson.


I said it twice, bro. This line wasn't even directed at you. You acknowledged the point and I dropped it.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby PDaddy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:26 am

Ok. My bad above, dude...

This is so random...let's move on. You get my point. I made it several posts ago. There's no point in debating the merits of a psychology degree. The bottom line is that a tougher major can make adcoms look beyond a lower but still competitive GPA. A 3.4 in a tough major such as a hard science, mathematics, history, English, etc. would merit such consideration.

User avatar
IamJosh
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:35 am

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby IamJosh » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:28 am

PDaddy wrote:Ok. My bad above, dude...

This is so random...let's move on. You get my point. I made it several posts ago. There's no point in debating the merits of a psychology degree. The bottom line is that a tougher major can make adcoms look beyond a lower but still competitive GPA. A 3.4 in a tough major such as a hard science, mathematics, history, English, etc. would merit such consideration.


Note: No sarcasm...

Do people consider English tough?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:29 am

PDaddy wrote:Ok. My bad above, dude...

This is so random...let's move on. You get my point. I made it several posts ago. There's no point in debating the merits of a psychology degree. The bottom line is that a tougher major can make adcoms look beyond a lower but still competitive GPA. A 3.4 in a tough major such as a hard science, mathematics, history, English, etc. would merit such consideration.
And some of us still think you're wrong.

My middling engineering GPA (and chemistry minor) didn't get me into any schools I wouldn't have gotten into with the same GPA in basketweaving.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby PDaddy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:31 am

IamJosh wrote:
On topic: Major difficulty is totally arbitrary. I have a buddy who is a total math genius and is really good in the sciences. He'll probably keep a 3.8+ GPA through undergrad as an econ/bio major (or whatever he ends up doing along those lines) but he'd be a C student as an English major. Really, really smart... but inarticulate. Is English a harder major than bio? No. It depends on what one is good at. The only thing that can be measured is workload, and that MIGHT carry a little weight?


This is a good example. For law school, his deficiency with the english language would definitely hurt him. So, for law school, it would matter. That's why the course load is so important. We TLSers advise people of where they might get into school without seeing transcripts. We don't know their courses, grade trends, inflation, number of "I", "NG", "W", "CR/NC" grades, etc. It's tough to really gage what someone's GPA means.
Last edited by PDaddy on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby shoeshine » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:32 am

PDaddy wrote:This is so random...let's move on. You get my point. I made it several posts ago. There's no point in debating the merits of a psychology degree. The bottom line is that a tougher major can make adcoms look beyond a lower but still competitive GPA. A 3.4 in a tough major such as a hard science, mathematics, history, English, etc. would merit such consideration.

The bottom line is that law schools would rather take a Criminal Justice major with a 4.0 over a Biology major with a 3.5. They like the 4.0 more because US News Rankings do not care about the type of major but they do care about the entering GPA of the class.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby PDaddy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:34 am

shoeshine wrote:
PDaddy wrote:This is so random...let's move on. You get my point. I made it several posts ago. There's no point in debating the merits of a psychology degree. The bottom line is that a tougher major can make adcoms look beyond a lower but still competitive GPA. A 3.4 in a tough major such as a hard science, mathematics, history, English, etc. would merit such consideration.


The bottom line is that law schools would rather take a Criminal Justice major with a 4.0 over a Biology major with a 3.5. They like the 4.0 more because US News Rankings do not care about the type of major but they do care about the entering GPA of the class.


True (bold)...hence my advice to apply early. Early application diminishes this effect. Read my first post.

The rankings come into consideration late in the cycle. Early on the adcoms are reading the files more in-depth, and they are more likely to take that biology major with the lower GPA over the crim major with the 4.0.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby bjsesq » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:35 am

I wholeheartedly approve of my major being used as the shit major comparison point. Please continue to do this in the future.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:19 am

PDaddy wrote:
riley22 wrote:Will a 3.4 gpa with a tough double major be as good as a higher gpa with a less difficult major?


Yes, as long as the major is truly "tough" - like Psychology, a hard science or mathematics - and you apply early.

All else being equal, I'd take a double-major (3.4 in Psychology/History) over a 3.8 in Sociology.


Psych is the easiest major at my school.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:29 am

PDaddy wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Are you saying this is evidence? His claim that adcoms agree with him?


This is not evidence. Why the focus on Psychology. My point is that a lower GPA in a tough science major (even if we exclude psychology) will win out over a higher major in a less demanding major, all else being equal.

Quit acting like I said some random ugly chick is as hot as Scarlett Johansson.


There is no way you can say that one major is easier than another just by looking at the name of the major.

You can have a BS(BA, really) in Physics where the person took lots of theoretical classes on one end, and a BA in Poli. Sci. major where the person took lots of analytic coursework because he/she's into Economism or something else that can be considered "applied" on another. You can't measure who had harder classes.

I heard (from an ex-Harvard Law adcomm) that they give a soft for people that take hard classes, but it's nothing that's going to make or break you. You either have the GPA, or you don't.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:31 am

That goes without saying, going into a science or engineering major will allow you to take the patent bar. So.. there's that.

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:50 am

PDaddy wrote:
Quit acting like I said some random ugly chick is as hot as Scarlett Johansson.


I'm not going to go all the way out there and say she's ugly, but I really don't get the Scarlett Johansson is sooo super-hot thing, generally, so this analogy fails to work for me.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:59 am

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
Quit acting like I said some random ugly chick is as hot as Scarlett Johansson.


I'm not going to go all the way out there and say she's ugly, but I really don't get the Scarlett Johansson is sooo super-hot thing, generally, so this analogy fails to work for me.

Super cool story bro.

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:06 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
Quit acting like I said some random ugly chick is as hot as Scarlett Johansson.


I'm not going to go all the way out there and say she's ugly, but I really don't get the Scarlett Johansson is sooo super-hot thing, generally, so this analogy fails to work for me.

Super cool story bro.


Ha.
I feel like my post is as useful as anything else in this thread.
The OP's question was answered a long time ago.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:28 am

PDaddy wrote:Ok. My bad above, dude...

This is so random...let's move on. You get my point. I made it several posts ago. There's no point in debating the merits of a psychology degree. The bottom line is that a tougher major can make adcoms look beyond a lower but still competitive GPA. A 3.4 in a tough major such as a hard science, mathematics, history, English, etc. would merit such consideration.


I guess if we're going to throw in English and history we might as well throw in anthropology and or political science, and re-affirm the arbitrariness of the yardstick.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby Opie » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:55 pm

I have to say for the record that I found accounting classes moderately difficult. I'm a business major, which I don't think is considered overly difficult and don't expect any brownie points for, but I think will help me out some day in the future because my interests are in employment/labor.

I've heard that some schools like majors that have an emphasis on research and writing like law does. For this reason they may favor Journalism, Philosophy, and Literature... Majors everyone else on the planet finds mostly ridiculous.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Do they consider difficulty of your major ?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:13 am

Opie wrote:I have to say for the record that I found accounting classes moderately difficult. I'm a business major, which I don't think is considered overly difficult and don't expect any brownie points for, but I think will help me out some day in the future because my interests are in employment/labor.

I've heard that some schools like majors that have an emphasis on research and writing like law does. For this reason they may favor Journalism, Philosophy, and Literature... Majors everyone else on the planet finds mostly ridiculous.
My roommate was a business major of some kind and we used to laugh at the pathetic math assignments she brought home. "OMG, rinkrat, today we learned about the X and Y axes!" We both got through AP calc in high school, so her business college math was what we'd been doing in 8th grade.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], emirleee, Yahoo [Bot], yhchoi1687 and 5 guests