Justice Scalia LOR Help or Hurt? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Paraflam

Bronze

Justice Scalia LOR Help or Hurt?

Post by Paraflam » Mon May 23, 2011 1:59 pm

Was talking to my uncle the other day about applying to law school, and apparently the owner of his company is good friends with Scalia and the three of them play golf together pretty often. He said if I need someone to put in a good word for me, he could probably get Scalia to write me a LOR. I'm assuming that to Adcoms this would look like a weak attempt to show them I've "got connections" or something, since obviously I have no personal relationship with Scalia and the letter would undoubtedly be generic and wouldn't contain any info specific to me personally. Would it just be better to get LORs from professors/etc that I actually have a personal relationship with?

Knock

Platinum

Re: Justice Scalia LOR Help or Hurt?

Post by Knock » Mon May 23, 2011 2:01 pm

Paraflam wrote:Was talking to my uncle the other day about applying to law school, and apparently the owner of his company is good friends with Scalia and the three of them play golf together pretty often. He said if I need someone to put in a good word for me, he could probably get Scalia to write me a LOR. I'm assuming that to Adcoms this would look like a weak attempt to show them I've "got connections" or something, since obviously I have no personal relationship with Scalia and the letter would undoubtedly be generic and wouldn't contain any info specific to me personally. Would it just be better to get LORs from professors/etc that I actually have a personal relationship with?
It'd probably be better to get a letter from someone who actually knows you and can speak to your abilities and characteristics.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Mon May 23, 2011 2:01 pm

Unless you get a LOR from God, an impersonal, canned LOR won't help and won't impress any admissions committee. They might get a good laugh out of it though. Like...do a double-take at the name and then show it to everyone in the office.

soaponarope

Bronze

Post by soaponarope » Mon May 23, 2011 2:04 pm

An LOR from a Supreme Court Justice!?!?!

Are you kidding me?!?! Take the LOR and RUNNNNNNNNNNNNN with it... this is a Supreme Court Justice. I don't think you comprehend the significance, the prestige, the clout that a SCOTUS judge has. You take that letter son. You are a very lucky person.

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:05 pm

Just get a copy for the heck of it and frame it on your wall.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:05 pm

Knock wrote:It'd probably be better to get a letter from someone who actually knows you and can speak to your abilities and characteristics.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:06 pm

It won't help as much as you would suspect... If the letter is super-generic, the adcomms will quickly realize that you don't really have any personal relation to Justice Scalia

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:06 pm

i would think you'd get the LOR from professors but keep in touch with him to use him down the line for employment purposes.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Mon May 23, 2011 2:07 pm

trollin'

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon May 23, 2011 2:07 pm

bartleby wrote:Unless you get a LOR from God.
Scalia is just as good in Law School.

Do it.

Fuck what everyone else is saying.

And if they still reject you.... have him write another and sign it, "I respectfully dissent."

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:08 pm

1) Trolling
2) He wouldn't do it
3) Yes you morons it'd probably help him.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:10 pm

AP-375 wrote:Just get a copy for the heck of it and frame it on your wall.
I actually like this idea. Either way, I can't see the LOR hurting you and it could definitely help, a lot.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon May 23, 2011 2:12 pm

taxguy's son got a recommendation from Kennedy, but it didn't help: all that matters is your LSAT and GPA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Paraflam

Bronze

Post by Paraflam » Mon May 23, 2011 2:13 pm

I'm really not trolling, and I realize that it's not a guarantee that Scalia would actually write it but my uncle made it sound like it'd be a done deal. I don't know what kind of relationship his boss and Scalia have but apparently they're pretty close.

I was just worried that if I COULD get a LOR from him, Adcoms would look at it as some kid trying to impress them or something, since it obviously wouldn't speak to any of my specific abilities that would make me successful in law school.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Mon May 23, 2011 2:14 pm

Paraflam wrote:I'm really not trolling, and I realize that it's not a guarantee that Scalia would actually write it but my uncle made it sound like it'd be a done deal. I don't know what kind of relationship his boss and Scalia have but apparently they're pretty close.

I was just worried that if I COULD get a LOR from him, Adcoms would look at it as some kid trying to impress them or something, since it obviously wouldn't speak to any of my specific abilities that would make me successful in law school.
Networking/having connections is a specific ability that could make you successful as an attorney.

You're still totally trolling, though.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:1) Trolling
2) He wouldn't do it
1-3 are the TCRs

But if for some reason this isn't trolling and he actually would do it then let me give the generic famous person LOR advice:

Try to meet with them and impress them as to your character, accomplishments etc. (although, I imagine Scalia would be a hard guy to impress - are you a Rhodes scholar or a Navy Seal?) and leave them a copy of your resume to make it easier to customize the letter. Waive your right to see the letter but if they offer to show you it then take a look - if its two sentences and generic and you have 2-3 shining letters from people who actually know you then use those instead - but if it seems decent and the person really is impressive then use it, if its from a Supreme Court Justice...it will stand out.

That said - I think the Justices know the power of writing a letter for an applicant and if this not trolling it may not be as easy to impose on Scalia's time and get him to use his name in support of his golf buddies' subordinates' son as your Uncle thinks because of the golf buddy connection.
Last edited by jtemp320 on Mon May 23, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon May 23, 2011 2:16 pm

Paraflam wrote:I'm really not trolling, and I realize that it's not a guarantee that Scalia would actually write it but my uncle made it sound like it'd be a done deal. I don't know what kind of relationship his boss and Scalia have but apparently they're pretty close.

there's no such thing as bad press. at least you'll stand out.

also, how the fuck does your english teacher know whether you'll be successful in law school? they'll probably figure that a Scalia rec means you'll have no problem finding employment after LS.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon May 23, 2011 2:18 pm

also, in before his uncle is Alito

Paraflam

Bronze

Post by Paraflam » Mon May 23, 2011 2:19 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
Networking/having connections is a specific ability that could make you successful as an attorney.

You're still totally trolling, though.
Not going to argue this, because I'm not trying to impress/get a rise out of any of you with this thread. I was just wondering what your opinions were on getting a LOR from a significant figure in the legal world who doesn't know you at all.

EDIT: In that vein, thanks everyone for the responses.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Mon May 23, 2011 2:22 pm

lol, okay, i'm probably wrong. take the LOR and run with it, i guess.

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:27 pm

lol at people thinking this wouldn't help. also lol at people thinking this kind of stuff doesn't happen.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Mon May 23, 2011 2:43 pm

2) He wouldn't do it
+1

On the slim chance you're not trolling: make sure you get two good, non-generic letters from professors, and use this as your third.

As you suspect, it would look like a very transparent attempt to show that you have connections, but I can't see why that is a bad thing. Law schools want students that are going to get jobs.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Mon May 23, 2011 2:49 pm

2) He wouldn't do it
Uhhh.... duh!

Jesus Christ ppl, all 3 of these are flagrant, except maybe bullet point (1); I can see how OP might just be a clueless 0L who doesn't realize how exceptional this would be.

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Mon May 23, 2011 2:58 pm

I doubt Nino would even be willing to do this for someone he's never met, knowing what I know about him. He's a no nonsense kind of guy, he's not going to waste his time.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Mon May 23, 2011 3:03 pm

I would like to go on record as saying that I don't think Justice Scalia would write you or anyone else he didn't know a letter of recommendation.

Either way read this answer from several T6 admissions deans about your question:
http://blogs.law.columbia.edu/admission ... s/#letters

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”