socioeconomic disadvantage statement

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
triplem25

socioeconomic disadvantage statement

Postby triplem25 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:48 pm

I was wondering if someone might read my socioeconomic statement via PM.

Some of the prompts/questions I would be responding to include:

Berkeley: "If you have experienced disadvantages that have adversely affected past performance, and if you have successfully overcome such disadvantages, this information will be considered when assessing your potential to be successful in the classroom and to contribute to the educational process and the legal profession."

USC: "Do you believe you were raised in an economically disadvantaged household? If yes, please explain in a separate addendum."

My statement is very straightforward as opposed to the stylistic writing of my PS & DS. The straightforward approach was taken from the advice about addenda in Anne Ivey's book. If anyone suggests another approach, I am taking all advice right now and would greatly appreciate anything people have to say on the matter. In addition, I also mention my situation in my PS, another reason I felt a straightforward approach was good.

shoeshine

Re: socioeconomic disadvantage statement

Postby shoeshine » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:54 pm

You are doing it wrong.

It shouldn't be an addendum. Make it part of your PS. I was accepted to both of the schools you mentioned in your post without an additional addendum. I came from a very poor background but I worked that into my PS. If done right, it makes whatever you talk about in your PS sound like an overcoming adversity story.

triplem25

Postby triplem25 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:01 pm

It is mentioned in my PS, but they also ask specifically for an addendum. I figured if they ask specifically for an addendum, even though it is mentioned in the PS, it is important to follow the directions.

In addition, I don't want to claim that I came from a very poor background, but rather I was economically disadvantaged in that my parents couldn't afford to pay for my college education while at the same time providing for my siblings at the time current and future college educations. The addendum explains my decision to provide for myself.

Anyone willing to read it?

Master_Splinter

Postby Master_Splinter » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:15 pm

I willing to take a look.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Send me the draft.

Also, Unless your personal statement is amazing you should have your socioeconomic background as the central theme. Your personal statement can't make up for low numbers but it can be the tiebreaker between you and another comparable candidate.

PriOSky

Postby PriOSky » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:36 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”