A timing question.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

A timing question.

Postby Opie » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:56 am

So, everyone agrees that earlier is better, but here's a dilemma I'm thinking about today:

Should I submit my application on 10/26 when my LSAT scores should be available, or should I wait until 11/10ish when I will have completed one more class at my UG school (we don't use a semester-based calendar and go year-round, which is why I'm completing a class in early November)?

I know both are fairly early, but is the two week delay worth the additional A? The A is almost guaranteed as it's a leadership class that should be cake.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: A timing question.

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:39 pm

Wait until your LSDAS report reflects the additional "A".

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: A timing question.

Postby Opie » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:30 pm

Thanks! I thought maybe there would be a heated debate, but apparently it's not that controversial.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: A timing question.

Postby bport hopeful » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:34 pm

I would turn it in sooner and update your LSAC when your grade comes in and notify your schools. Just me tho.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: A timing question.

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:00 pm

Unless that single A gets you over the median at your dream school, I would submit early and update my transcript when the grade comes in.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: A timing question.

Postby Xifeng » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:03 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Unless that single A gets you over the median at your dream school, I would submit early and update my transcript when the grade comes in.


This. Especially since you may complete the class 11/10ish, but then your school has to report it, you have to get it from your school, and LSAC has to send out the academic summary report to your schools. If it gets you above median then wait, but if not I'd just submit early and then update LSAC when the new grade gets in (LSAC will automatically update your schools, and they'll take the new GPA into consideration if they haven't decided yet)

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: A timing question.

Postby Opie » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:56 pm

I'm already about .1 over the median, so that's not an issue, and this won't take me above the 75th percentile, so I think I will apply as early as possible and then amend.

That leads me into a new matter: I will complete a total of three classes after submitting my app. Do I amend after each one, or just after all of them?

The last one will be complete on 2/16 and I should have grades within a week after that. I know this is getting down to splitting hairs, but my goal is as much scholarship money as possible (I don't think getting in will be a problem provided I do close to as well as I have been doing on LSAT prep tests).

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: A timing question.

Postby lawgod » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:59 pm

Whats the most important part of a joke timing.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: A timing question.

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:34 am

Opie wrote:I'm already about .1 over the median, so that's not an issue, and this won't take me above the 75th percentile, so I think I will apply as early as possible and then amend.

That leads me into a new matter: I will complete a total of three classes after submitting my app. Do I amend after each one, or just after all of them?

The last one will be complete on 2/16 and I should have grades within a week after that. I know this is getting down to splitting hairs, but my goal is as much scholarship money as possible (I don't think getting in will be a problem provided I do close to as well as I have been doing on LSAT prep tests).

If they all bring your GPA up, update after each grade is submitted.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: A timing question.

Postby Samara » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:30 am

You'd be fine waiting. The general rule of thumb is by Halloween you're early, by Thanksgiving you're on time and by Christmas you're late.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: A timing question.

Postby Opie » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:34 pm

Okay, what I think I will do is this:

Submit the app on October 26 or thereabout when LSAT scores come in.

Update after I finish my leadership class in mid-November (provided my GPA increases).

Update again after the last two classes are done (they finish in mid-January and mid-February and hopefully I'll already be accepted and not worrying about it by then).

If I'm waitlisted or otherwise not accepted, I might update each time I get a grade and see what that does. I don't think it will come to January though because I'm already above median for GPA and my projected LSAT is 10 points above the 75th percentile.

Now, all of this could change when I get my LSAT score. Speaking of which, time to go take another prep test.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: A timing question.

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Opie wrote:Okay, what I think I will do is this:

Submit the app on October 26 or thereabout when LSAT scores come in.

Update after I finish my leadership class in mid-November (provided my GPA increases).

Update again after the last two classes are done (they finish in mid-January and mid-February and hopefully I'll already be accepted and not worrying about it by then).

If I'm waitlisted or otherwise not accepted, I might update each time I get a grade and see what that does. I don't think it will come to January though because I'm already above median for GPA and my projected LSAT is 10 points above the 75th percentile.

Now, all of this could change when I get my LSAT score. Speaking of which, time to go take another prep test.

This is what you should do.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lawlzi, tuesdayninja and 5 guests