(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bioengineer

Postby bioengineer » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:03 am

Last edited by bioengineer on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Glock

Re: public intoxication ticket at 17

Postby Glock » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:04 am

Depends on how the question is worded. Convicted or arrested?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:07 am

Glock wrote:Depends on how the question is worded. Convicted or arrested?

This.
Also I gather that it is always better to just be straight
Up instead of the bar asking you done the rd why you lied about it (witheld it)

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:22 am

For a Misdemeanor, receiving a citation (but not being actually put in the back of a police car) is still an 'arrest' iirc

Some apps will ask if you've ever been charged with a crime or arrested; some will just ask if you've ever been convicted of a crime; most specify whether or not you can omit expunged/sealed records (usually you cannot omit them for that reason).

You'll probably also need to write an addendum on the apps where you do disclose it.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:56 am

bioengineer wrote:right after i turned 17 i was given a ticket for public intoxication (NOT ARRESTED). i showed up for my court date, went to trial, testified, then was found NOT GUILTY by a judge. do i have to mention this on my law school apps? it was so long ago (im 22 now) and seems so irrelevant, i barely rememeber it. im pretty sure records from before you were 18 are sealed anyway? advice?

Don't rely on the bolded if you have to explain this.

Read apps carefully, make sure you say you were found not guilty if you must disclose it.

If you have to disclose this think about putting a positive spin on it by writing a diversity statement about knowing what the trial process/acquittal feels like. I think an essay would be preferable to a "but I didn't do it!" addendum.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:46 pm

buckilaw wrote: I think an essay would be preferable to a "but I didn't do it!" addendum.

I don't think so. He was found not guilty, so I can't imagine they would really hold it against him. I don't see why this incident should become a big deal. I would just write a short and to the point explanation of what happened. Make sure you're honest about it, but you don't need to write a novel IMO.

straxen

Postby straxen » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:04 pm

You were 17, it's a relatively minor offense, and you were acquitted. No biggie. If there's any doubt at all whether the app's request for disclosure covers this particular incident, then for the sake of covering your bases, disclose the facts as they are (cited for public intoxication and acquitted) and it really shouldn't have an impact. I wouldn't dwell on it.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:33 pm

straxen wrote:You were 17, it's a relatively minor offense, and you were acquitted. No biggie. If there's any doubt at all whether the app's request for disclosure covers this particular incident, then for the sake of covering your bases, disclose the facts as they are (cited for public intoxication and acquitted) and it really shouldn't have an impact. I wouldn't dwell on it.

+1

I wouldn't split hairs on cited/arrested etc. Just err on the side of disclosure and write a short addendum. You were 17, you weren't prepared to handle alcohol responsibly, and you've learned how to comport yourself when drinking since then. As long as this is your only alcohol related offense, and it seems it is, I really doubt it's a problem.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:44 pm

Just mention it. There's no way something like this would ever get you dinged from anywhere. Schools only care about your GPA and LSAT median, and the background questions are only really there to make sure you can pass the bar. People who have gotten DUIs during law school have ended up passing the bar, so you're definitely okay with a ticket 1) when you were 17, and 2) for something as minor as public intoxication.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”