Not sure about law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
doake

New

Not sure about law

Post by doake » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:25 am

I'm 19, born and living in canada, and im current studying mechanical engineering. I'm a year into my program, doing very well with a 3.9 gpa and on the deans list. But im still not sure im happy with engineering.

I always had good grades in high school, with a 96 average when I graduated, the second highest in my school. Its a medium sized of school of 850 students, and its the highest rated school in my province academically. I recieved scholarships for university, and I completed some advanced placement courses in high school that gave me a bit of a head start.

I'm enjoying the program so far, but im having doubts its what i want to do for a career. I was always great at math and science, but i was also great at english, psychology, and history. i really miss putting the pen to paper and writing an essay, forming an arguement, and doing reasearch. Ive always had a great interest in the law, i regularly read books on political issues and landmark court cases, and I really feel like ive shut that intellectual side out of my life. Im not sure id want to be a lawyer either, but I want it to be an option. I dont quit what ive started, so ill finish my engineering degree, but ive heard thats a good undergrad to persue law anyway.

i guess im just looking for some advice. Anyone who's been down this road before, even engineers who went into law. also, some advice on how to prepare myself for law school application, like what things I should have for my resume ( i already have extensive extra curricular and volunteering) and the types of tests i would have to take for american schools (SAT, LSAT etc) thanks for any advice!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Re: Not sure about law

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:32 am

Keep your gpa high. Kill the LSAT. profit.

Also, you've got plenty of time. Don't worry too much. Do some research, see if law is something you actually want. Talk to lawyers about what they actually do day to day and see if it seems appealing.

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:34 am

First: stay in engineering. If you get good grades in an engineering program that will be a boost.

Also browse through the different forums on lsat prep and forums for applicants etc. There is a lot of good stuff in there. You request for general advice on law school is a little broad. Most will probably say don't go.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:41 am

Find a patent law firm near you and see if you can get a summer job there, or a part time fall/spring job and see if you like it. Then you will know more.

firecracker10

New

Post by firecracker10 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:33 pm

Stay in engineering! Consider law school later...you have plenty of time.
doake wrote:I'm 19, born and living in canada, and im current studying mechanical engineering. I'm a year into my program, doing very well with a 3.9 gpa and on the deans list. But im still not sure im happy with engineering.

I always had good grades in high school, with a 96 average when I graduated, the second highest in my school. Its a medium sized of school of 850 students, and its the highest rated school in my province academically. I recieved scholarships for university, and I completed some advanced placement courses in high school that gave me a bit of a head start.

I'm enjoying the program so far, but im having doubts its what i want to do for a career. I was always great at math and science, but i was also great at english, psychology, and history. i really miss putting the pen to paper and writing an essay, forming an arguement, and doing reasearch. Ive always had a great interest in the law, i regularly read books on political issues and landmark court cases, and I really feel like ive shut that intellectual side out of my life. Im not sure id want to be a lawyer either, but I want it to be an option. I dont quit what ive started, so ill finish my engineering degree, but ive heard thats a good undergrad to persue law anyway.

i guess im just looking for some advice. Anyone who's been down this road before, even engineers who went into law. also, some advice on how to prepare myself for law school application, like what things I should have for my resume ( i already have extensive extra curricular and volunteering) and the types of tests i would have to take for american schools (SAT, LSAT etc) thanks for any advice!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:41 pm

I know exactly how your feeling. Engineering can quickly lose its charm if you aren't the right kind of personality for it. but you should know that law is the same way. Don't get a summer job at a patent law firm either, you would be better served with actual engineering experience. You should definitely shadow some patent attorneys, however, and get a feel for the work and job. Also, look up some patents, if what you see doesn't make you gag, then you might be good for prosecution.

Engineering isn't what everyone makes it up to be either, it undergoes awful cycles of boom and bust. Aerospace industry undergoes a documented 7 year swing, and at the lowpoint lots of people are laid off. Oil and gas is even more variable. Those seem to be the two industries that most MechEs fall in btw.

And as everyone else said, all you have to worry about is keeping your GPA up and kill the LSAT

From the loyola PLIP thread.
Okay, its me again. Heres what i mean ...
you see, only among the fancy law firms and federal courts do people care about what school you go to... Outside of that, noone really cares as to what T50 is or T14 or T100 etc etc ...

So, for example, take an instance where some kid with MS bio goes to cooley... and lets say for the sake or argument that he has no job upon graduation. Well, at this point the kid has no choice but to work at the patent office (they are always hiring...always. Just like them low prices at walmart, ALWAYS!!!)

About 4 years at the patent office, BOOM! He hit his target of a 100+ salary because a lot of law firms will overlook that.

Lets take another instance same kid decides to work for a biotech or pharma company. Now at this point, even though he may start off as "merely" an engineer at the company, he can very easily impress his boss because he can say the following, "We wont give those dirty rotten law firms any more money!! I can get patents for you. I have already passed the patent bar exam."
Now I know you are prolly saying that just passing the patent bar exam doesnt make you informed enough to start prosecuting patents. I agree!!!

But the world doesnt know that. You and I know that because we shoot for nice high quality patents.
Anyway, he ends up impressing his boss, and then boss tells him to go into management positions and BOOM!! Hes hit his target. Also, a side note, while he was working for an engineer, he was prolly making 60s ish easily.

Lets take another instance that some kid goes to cooley, cant get into firms so he has to go back to engr. Well, if the kid works for a company, on a long enough time line (think 5 years ish), he/she can get his P.E. license. Now, because he has worked with the company, developed contacts, he can start off his own consulting firm. At this point, you have this kid who has some business because he did make contacts, and worked long enough for the company, he has his PE license, and to top it all off, the kid can easily protect his own IP on his designs on the consulting work. Now, BOOM!! hes hit his target. Side note: the amt he/she will be making for this lil game might very well be close to 500K+. Remember man: he has no legal or contractual overhead. He can take care of his own stuff. Mabye, hiring secretary will be useful... and part time accountant ...

So you see, possibilities are endless

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:02 pm

Take the rest of college to figure out how you feel about law. Keep your grades high. Revisit the question when you're ready to start looking at the LSAT. For now, just study things you like and keep getting good grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”