Academic Misconduct - Help Please!!!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mshao3

Academic Misconduct - Help Please!!!

Postby mshao3 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:57 am

I received an academic misconduct warning in university. I missed one class and then borrowed notes (excel file) from a student. I then passed the notes to another friend of mine. When I started my project two weeks later, I created new spreadsheets in the same file. Although my work was completely different from the other two, my professor decided that I was being dishonest based on the three files' identical creation date. This warning did not show on my transcript and my grade for that class was unaffected. I asked my college and told me that this WILL show on dean's certification.

Any idea how bad is it gonna hurt my application??? It was an accounting class so I guess the professor uses very strict methods to check cheating.

shoeshine

Re: Academic Misconduct - Help Please!!!

Postby shoeshine » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:58 am

mshao3 wrote:I received an academic misconduct warning in university. I missed one class and then borrowed notes (excel file) from a student. I then passed the notes to another friend of mine. When I started my project two weeks later, I created new spreadsheets in the same file. Although my work was completely different from the other two, my professor decided that I was being dishonest based on the three files' identical creation date. This warning did not show on my transcript and my grade for that class was unaffected. I asked my college and told me that this WILL show on dean's certification.

Any idea how bad is it gonna hurt my application??? It was an accounting class so I guess the professor uses very strict methods to check cheating.

Many schools don't ask for a dean's cert.

mshao3

Postby mshao3 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:05 am

Yes, but they'd ask questions... my plan is to disclose it and send in an addendum. Just wonder how bad is it gonna hurt.

canes

Postby canes » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:14 am

The only school I remember asking for a Dean's cert was Stanford. I wouldn't worry about it.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:12 pm

Yea, I'd write a short addendum, but it won't hurt much, if at all. If it was serious, you wouldn't have completed the class and received a decent(?) grade.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:16 pm

shoeshine wrote:
mshao3 wrote:I received an academic misconduct warning in university. I missed one class and then borrowed notes (excel file) from a student. I then passed the notes to another friend of mine. When I started my project two weeks later, I created new spreadsheets in the same file. Although my work was completely different from the other two, my professor decided that I was being dishonest based on the three files' identical creation date. This warning did not show on my transcript and my grade for that class was unaffected. I asked my college and told me that this WILL show on dean's certification.

Many schools don't ask for a dean's cert.

I'd still disclose it. Many (most? all?) schools ask for a dean's cert as part of your enrollment paperwork, so the law school's going to find out eventually and I'd rather worry about it affecting my apps than worry about it getting my admission rescinded.

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:21 pm

You should appeal it if you can. Otherwise, if they don't ask for it, don't offer it. Save yourself a headache.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:05 pm

If they don't ask on the application, don't mention it. Tell them about it immediately after you matriculate, though. This will come up again during your bar application, and your school will be able to advocate for you if they know about it.

Cory045

Postby Cory045 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:09 am

I would definitely appeal this. First,if you haven't tried, go the professor and try to explain your situation. Offer to bring your friends in and they can support the truth. If this does not work, go the department chair and do the same. If your prof is the chair or the chair won't listen go to the dean and try to work it out. Lastly, try the academic provost or someone in admin that can help you like the director of student life (or someone in a similar position). The thing is just keep going up the ladder. Remember though, always present yourself in a respectful non-confrontational way, ie dont say the prof is lying. If you have a prof that knows you and you have friendship with they may be able to help with getting you into seeing admin as well or putting in a good word.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:16 am

It wont matter. Law schools would accept almost anyone with a decent LSAT score who can qualify for loans. the c&f committee wont care as long as you say you are sorry and learned your lesson.

mshao3

Postby mshao3 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:10 am

Cory045 wrote:I would definitely appeal this. First,if you haven't tried, go the professor and try to explain your situation. Offer to bring your friends in and they can support the truth. If this does not work, go the department chair and do the same. If your prof is the chair or the chair won't listen go to the dean and try to work it out. Lastly, try the academic provost or someone in admin that can help you like the director of student life (or someone in a similar position). The thing is just keep going up the ladder. Remember though, always present yourself in a respectful non-confrontational way, ie dont say the prof is lying. If you have a prof that knows you and you have friendship with they may be able to help with getting you into seeing admin as well or putting in a good word.

It was in 2009 and I did argue. My prof asked, did you cheat, I said no (of course I didn't). Then she showed me the identical timestamp and concluded that I lied. She was going to give me a zero on the project, which would lead me to a C/D, but after I argued, she didn't do that and I end up with a B+. I cannot appeal at this point, it already passed the deadline to do it. Gosh I should have appealed! This is totally unfair! I didn't think about going to law school at that time.

mshao3

Postby mshao3 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:14 am

bp shinners wrote:Yea, I'd write a short addendum, but it won't hurt much, if at all. If it was serious, you wouldn't have completed the class and received a decent(?) grade.

Yea that's what I thought too... I end up with a B+ for that class and I have a A- overall gpa. The only thing I am worried about is how is it gonna affect my application. My goal is a T20 school.

mshao3

Postby mshao3 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:16 am

Thank you all for replies!

HYSnNothingLess

Postby HYSnNothingLess » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:33 am

You've been a very naughty boy.

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:25 am

Wow.... after a quick scan of my "ethics" book, I'm worried.

** Edit - that is, for myself..... too much self-talk...

On second thought... prepositions and grammar.... ur f'ed

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:57 am

Appeal if you can. If the appeal is unsuccessful, try to get your version included in the record (similiar to contested matters in credit reports). Otherwise, you will need to include an addendum if your appeal is unsuccessful. As presented in your original post in this thread, it doesn't appear to be a serious matter.

P.S. Yale, in addition to Stanford & some other law schools, requires a dean's certification.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:01 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Appeal if you can. If the appeal is unsuccessful, try to get your version included in the record (similiar to contested matters in credit reports). Otherwise, you will need to include an addendum if your appeal is unsuccessful. As presented in your original post in this thread, it doesn't appear to be a serious matter.

P.S. Yale, in addition to Stanford & some other law schools, requires a dean's certification.

Yale is different from Stanford in that, the latter requires the dean's cert as part of the application while the latter does not.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:10 pm

My understanding is that Yale will not review an application prior to receipt of the dean's certification. One's application is not complete until receipt of the dean's certification at Yale. Yale has required a dean's certification as part of the application for two or three years.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:47 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:My understanding is that Yale will not review an application prior to receipt of the dean's certification. One's application is not complete until receipt of the dean's certification at Yale. Yale has required a dean's certification as part of the application for two or three years.

Not this year....

http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/12319.htm

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:16 pm

Both were admitted. In calling to check on their apps prior to notification of a decision both were told that they needed to furnish a dean's certification.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”