Paranoia question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bittner1989

Paranoia question

Postby Bittner1989 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:44 pm

So I work at a courthouse doing public records searches for a small company. Today, A county sheriff saw me waving my phone for a signal and thought I was taking pictures of the courthouse.

Long story short, I was searched and detained for about 30 minutes while my license and information were taken down, but I wasn't charged with anything (mostly because I wasn't taking pictures)

Regardless, as I wasn't charged with anything though my information was taken down, would I have to report something like this when I apply to law school?

TrojanHopeful

Re: Paranoia question

Postby TrojanHopeful » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:47 pm

Bittner1989 wrote:So I work at a courthouse doing public records searches for a small company. Today, A county sheriff saw me waving my phone for a signal and thought I was taking pictures of the courthouse.

Long story short, I was searched and detained for about 30 minutes while my license and information were taken down, but I wasn't charged with anything (mostly because I wasn't taking pictures)

Regardless, as I wasn't charged with anything though my information was taken down, would I have to report something like this when I apply to law school?

Really?

Bittner1989

Postby Bittner1989 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:48 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:
Bittner1989 wrote:So I work at a courthouse doing public records searches for a small company. Today, A county sheriff saw me waving my phone for a signal and thought I was taking pictures of the courthouse.

Really?

Yeah, this is a dumb question - sorry, this happened a couple hours ago and I'm still in an adrenaline/rage kind of mode where I'm not thinking clearly at all.

TrojanHopeful

Postby TrojanHopeful » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:50 pm

In all seriousness, I guess you would have to report it if an application asked if you have ever been "detained."

From what I hear though, they just ask if you have ever been charged or arrested for a crime.

So did you get good pictures? :lol:

Bittner1989

Postby Bittner1989 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:54 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:In all seriousness, I guess you would have to report it if an application asked if you have ever been "detained."

From what I hear though, they just ask if you have ever been charged or arrested for a crime.

So did you get good pictures? :lol:

Yep, the county sheriffs found pictures of my car hitting 60,000 on the odometer, a group of friends stacking random food and dishes on top of a passed out drunken friend, my epic 70 Point Words With Friends word, and a letter I received from the Ron Paul 2012 campaign.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:12 pm

Similar thing happened to me when I was leaving JFK airport last month after I flew in from London. Apparently, after baggage claim, you have to go past a couple customs officers, and I was on the phone with my dad telling him where to pick me up. Turns out that was against the law, and they took me aside, patted me down, and went through my bags. And they took my phone and checked for pictures--joke was on them, I was using an old phone that didn't even have a camera!

Dicks.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:16 pm

This is a good question. You're absolutely going to need to report this incident in your "Why Penn?" essay.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:37 pm

It is against the law to take pictures of a public building? If you are unsure how to answer, ask the school.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:04 am

sarahh wrote:It is against the law to take pictures of a public building? If you are unsure how to answer, ask the school.

I think it's illegal to take pictures in a courthouse if you're not a member of the press.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Something like this deserves some sort of addendum. Make sure to also be forthcoming about any detentions and/or suspensions that you may have incurred in high school.

TrojanHopeful

Postby TrojanHopeful » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:20 am

TheFactor wrote:Something like this deserves some sort of addendum. Make sure to also be forthcoming about any detentions and/or suspensions that you may have incurred in high school.

And don't forget about those times you were sent to time out when you were a child. You will definitely want to disclose that.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:21 am

I think this should be the subject of your PS. Make yourself into a Rodney King meets Jesus type character.

Use this phrase:
"It was only after they took my cell phone, beating me with it repeatedly, that I knew I wanted to become a lawyer."

Bittner1989

Postby Bittner1989 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:18 am

TrojanHopeful wrote:
TheFactor wrote:Something like this deserves some sort of addendum. Make sure to also be forthcoming about any detentions and/or suspensions that you may have incurred in high school.

And don't forget about those times you were sent to time out when you were a child. You will definitely want to disclose that.

Yeah yeah, I'm an idiot. Keep at it. Also, it was good enough to get me fired from my job, so...yeah.....

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:09 am

Bittner1989 wrote:
TrojanHopeful wrote:

Yeah yeah, I'm an idiot. Keep at it. Also, it was good enough to get me fired from my job, so...yeah.....

What the what? They fired you for this malarky? Please tell me you're not trolling.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:10 pm

Bittner1989 wrote:Yeah yeah, I'm an idiot. Keep at it. Also, it was good enough to get me fired from my job, so...yeah.....

Shame on that company for firing you for something that was not your fault. Look at it this way, if they treat people like that than they do not deserve to have you.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:15 pm

Bittner1989 wrote:
TrojanHopeful wrote:

Something tells me you weren't fired simply for waving your phone around to see if it got reception.

Bittner1989

Postby Bittner1989 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:21 pm

SBL wrote:
Bittner1989 wrote:
TrojanHopeful wrote:

Something tells me you weren't fired simply for waving your phone around to see if it got reception.

Hey update! The boss called me the next day (Yesterday) and apologized for overreacting and I can come back in on Monday. So I was fired for about 20 hours. It's a small public records researching job with about 6 employees including myself. He's more paranoid/crazy than I am. C'est la vie.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”