Seeking advice...need help!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Get a job or go to law school?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:36 pm

MBA related job
86%
Law School
14%

Total votes: 7

firecracker10

Seeking advice...need help!

Postby firecracker10 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:59 pm

Last edited by firecracker10 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kekepania

Re: Seeking advice...need help!

Postby kekepania » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Sorry to hear that you lost your job.

How are you doing on your LSAT? Have you been getting scores that qualify you to apply and be accepted into a top school?

Also, I would think about it this way. If money was not a concern, would you still want to be a lawyer? Are you considering law because you know that it's what you want to do or because you think it is the only way to land a decent job? It's a big commitment to go to law school and become a lawyer, especially if you want to make it into big law, and it seems like you are aware that going to law school doesn't guarantee that you will be able to find a job in the legal field. However, if you are sure that you want to be a lawyer, then you will just have to work hard and do everything in your power to become one.

I can't give you any info about big law, but I do think if you have shown you are qualified and commited to working in big law, you would be hired. I'm assuming you have solid work experience, especially since you have a MBA, and that may help with acceptance and even job prospects if you are able to use that work experience to your advantage.

Good luck!

T-Account

Postby T-Account » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:46 pm

I can't really help you all that much as I'm just looking into applying to law school too (I graduated with a master's degree in accounting this year). But where did you get your MBA? If it's a top school you should be able to find a job faster than it will take you to apply/attend law school.

Some questions that you should be asking yourself. I'm wrestling with similar questions about law school.

Why do you not want to use your MBA in the business world? If you did not go to a top school I could understand it being very difficult to find a job for an extended period of time.
Why do you want to go to law school? Just for BigLaw? If you're only going for BigLaw you might want to reconsider since even at a top school it's very difficult to get here.
Are you only after money or would you still want to go to law school if you knew you were going to get a job that paid 50k out of school? If you're only after money you definitely want to consider the probability of getting (especially not getting) a high paying job.
What do you want to be doing in ten years? Is law school necessary or is there a cheaper alternative? Is BigLaw your final stop in your career path or just a logical next step? If you don't absolutely need a JD to do what you want to do "when you grow up" than I wouldn't go. You likely have a lot of experience and could probably leverage your current experience to get something closer in line with your end goals. Maybe not, but something to think about.

Best of luck figuring it out

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:51 pm

firecracker10 wrote:Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and I am seeking some advice...

Find a Kaplan center that would do a free diagnostic test for you and see what kind of LSAT score you get. Once you get your score, go to LSP and input your UGPA and your AA status and see what kinds of schools you have strong chances at. You should also pop into the LSAT forum once you have a diagnostic to figure out how much work it would take to get your ideal score.

From there, it's a lot easier to evaluate whether or not law school is worth it. Who knows? You could score over 170 on your first practice test, in which case, you really *should* consider law school very seriously but if the LSAT is as difficult for you as it is for some people, getting into the 160s could mean months of work, which makes it a much less valuable proposition.

firecracker10

Postby firecracker10 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:58 pm

Last edited by firecracker10 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firecracker10

Postby firecracker10 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:02 pm

Or I could just take a practice LSAT at home tonight and score it myself...everyone knows that those Kaplan Center's are there just to sell there expensive LSAT courses and nothing else.

paratactical wrote:
firecracker10 wrote:Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and I am seeking some advice...

Find a Kaplan center that would do a free diagnostic test for you and see what kind of LSAT score you get.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:32 pm

firecracker10 wrote:Or I could just take a practice LSAT at home tonight and score it myself...everyone knows that those Kaplan Center's are there just to sell there expensive LSAT courses and nothing else.

Sure. But the diagnostic is free and you get to take it in a classroom with a proctor and other people. I found it to be quite useful and well worth the trouble of adding their email to my spam folder.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:36 pm

I hate it when these people delete everything they wrote within a couple hours of posting it. What's the point of that? Fear that someone out there will see that they asked for help? #Annoying.

firecracker10

Postby firecracker10 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:50 pm

I'm not ashamed of asking for help...I just didn't get enough answers or help on the topic I posted--that's all.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”