Should I not even bother applying to Northwestern?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Blahh_Blahh

Should I not even bother applying to Northwestern?

Postby Blahh_Blahh » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:11 pm

I am taking a year off after UG, but I don't even have a job lined up yet because I'm just volunteering and concentrating on LSAT studying at this point. I'm gonna work on finding a job after the October LSAT, around the same time I'll be applying for law schools.

Chicago is one of my target markets, but should somebody who doesn't have relevant work experience just not bother applying to NU at all? I will only have academic LORs. Nothing from an employer.

MattLiv12

Re: Should I not even bother applying to Northwestern?

Postby MattLiv12 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:15 pm

Blahh_Blahh wrote:I am taking a year off after UG, but I don't even have a job lined up yet because I'm just volunteering and concentrating on LSAT studying at this point. I'm gonna work on finding a job after the October LSAT, around the same time I'll be applying for law schools.

Chicago is one of my target markets, but should somebody who doesn't have relevant work experience just not bother applying to NU at all? I will only have academic LORs. Nothing from an employer.

You and I are in very similar positions. I'm going to apply anyway, even though I have almost no WE, as my LSAT/gpa is very strong for NU. Most people say WE is almost a prerequisite for NU, but I would be very surprised if they flat out reject people over both the GPA and LSAT 75ths. If your numbers are below median and you have no WE, you are a very likely rejection. So I suggest you dominate that OCT LSAT and then decide.

chem

Postby chem » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:28 pm

MattLiv12 wrote:
Blahh_Blahh wrote:I am taking a year off after UG, but I don't even have a job lined up yet because I'm just volunteering and concentrating on LSAT studying at this point. I'm gonna work on finding a job after the October LSAT, around the same time I'll be applying for law schools.

You and I are in very similar positions. I'm going to apply anyway, even though I have almost no WE, as my LSAT/gpa is very strong for NU. Most people say WE is almost a prerequisite for NU, but I would be very surprised if they flat out reject people over both the GPA and LSAT 75ths. If your numbers are below median and you have no WE, you are a very likely rejection. So I suggest you dominate that OCT LSAT and then decide.

Think again

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:36 pm

MattLiv12 wrote:

Just make sure you understand the math: 2% of last year's entering class had no WE. That's about 5 people.

From what I understand from current students, those 5 people all pretty much have HYS-type numbers, and have demonstrated their "maturity" (what NU is actually looking for by requiring WE) in ways other than working.
Some very qualified applicants with no WE are offered a hefty (full ride, I think) scholarship, on the condition that they will defer a year and spend that year working.

MattLiv12

Postby MattLiv12 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:31 am

chem wrote:
MattLiv12 wrote:

Think again

I stand corrected. Didn't know it was THAT heavily weighted. Guess I won't be applying to NU, even with solid numbers. Thanks for the info. Might have saved me $100.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:10 pm

Last edited by Tom Joad on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:19 pm

Tom Joad wrote:What is NU's point in requiring WE for all applicants? I have heard arguments for why WE is beneficial but making it a prerequisite instead of another part of a holistic review seems just a little questionable to me.

(Former) Dean David Van Zandt wrote:Our top applicants ... have already demonstrated through post-college work that they can function effectively on teams and are capable of completing projects effectively. They are ambitious and mature, and the substantial work experience that they bring provides real-world perspectives for fellow students. We look for applicants who have sound judgment and demonstrate respect for differing ideas and backgrounds.
In the eyes of employers, our graduates already stand out as better prepared to succeed in an increasingly competitive world. As our graduates continue to differentiate themselves in the workplace, I think that we will begin to see other schools adopting a similar approach.

Asst. Dean of Amissions Johann Lee wrote:By 360 degree learning, we mean students would learn from faculty, which is the traditional sense, students would learn from other students, which definitely does occur, and also where faculty would learn from students. So with this 360 approach, we found that those with substantial work and life experience had the most to bring to the table for the conversation, and we felt that those were the types that would benefit the most from this type of learning model.

As to how disadvantaged is someone right from undergrad, yeah, there is a slight disadvantage. However, if you are applying straight from undergrad, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of doing the evaluative interview as part of the application process. When we discuss work experience, what we are looking for are the things that work experience brings: maturity, strong career focus, good interpersonal skills, and the ability to work in groups in a professional setting. The interview process helps us answer those questions from those who are applying straight from undergrad.
I think the general overarching theme is that not all work experiences are created equally. For us at Northwestern, getting to know an applicant is really important — especially if an applicant thinks they do not have strong post-graduate work experience — I strongly suggest that all undergrad applicants do the interview, because that’s a way for the applicant to demonstrate to the admissions committee that they have the types of intangible qualities that we’re looking for out of our students.
We are ideally looking for professional post-graduate work experience. What does that mean? It could mean a variety of different things in a variety of different fields. What we’re really looking for is skills that come out of work experience. We are looking for project management experience, advocacy experience, responsibility and leadership within their different roles.

It’s not really the first line of the resume that’s important to us. It’s the description of what comes after that first line. I’ve seen a lot of wonderful looking titles, but then when you drill down deeper, there’s really not much there.

Basically, they want self-sufficient grownups, not K-JD kids who've never supported themselves or lived outside the academic bubble.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:32 pm

Last edited by Tom Joad on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:54 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Fair enough, but I think they are excluding potential K-JD applicants who are mature and focused, which only hurts NU.
Hence, the interview.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:08 pm

If they like you enough, and good numbers they will give a fullride scholarship if you defer a year. I know several people on scholarships like that. Apply anyway.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If they like you enough, and good numbers they will give a fullride scholarship if you defer a year. I know several people on scholarships like that. Apply anyway.

Wait, really? But this is only for people with no work experience, I'm assuming... Sad. That sounds awesome, but I already have 1 year of WE.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:29 pm

freestallion wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:If they like you enough, and good numbers they will give a fullride scholarship if you defer a year. I know several people on scholarships like that. Apply anyway.

Wait, really? But this is only for people with no work experience, I'm assuming... Sad. That sounds awesome, but I already have 1 year of WE.

If they like you and have the numbers for it, they'll offer you a fullride with no wait.

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
freestallion wrote:

If they like you and have the numbers for it, they'll offer you a fullride with no wait.

what kind of numbers are we talking about?
How about splitters with a very very high LSAT? (177+)

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:44 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Fair enough, but I think they are excluding potential K-JD applicants who are mature and focused, which only hurts NU.

I think NU is actually smart to build a niche for itself. Sure, some K-JD applicants are mature and focused and will go elsewhere, but I don't think it really hurts NU to pass them by. When firms do OCI at NU, there's a brand they expect of older,mature students with experience in the workplace and it's a brand I think they generally like.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:56 pm

acrossthelake wrote:

I think NU is actually smart to build a niche for itself. Sure, some K-JD applicants are mature and focused and will go elsewhere, but I don't think it really hurts NU to pass them by. When firms do OCI at NU, there's a brand they expect of older,mature students with experience in the workplace and it's a brand I think they generally like.

What baffles me is that K-JDs would want to go here.

I heard one K-JD today whining at OCI that so many interviewers kept asking him questions that I thought were clearly feeling out his maturity. Why would a K-JD want to go between two people who can pitch themselves as mature professionals? Better to head up to Michigan and be compared with (mostly) people like you.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:37 am

IAFG wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:

What baffles me is that K-JDs would want to go here.

I heard one K-JD today whining at OCI that so many interviewers kept asking him questions that I thought were clearly feeling out his maturity. Why would a K-JD want to go between two people who can pitch themselves as mature professionals? Better to head up to Michigan and be compared with (mostly) people like you.

Yeah, exactly. I'm a K-JD, which I know won't be great for OCI, so might as well go somewhere where they know to at least expect them.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:46 pm

senorhosh wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
freestallion wrote:

what kind of numbers are we talking about?
How about splitters with a very very high LSAT? (177+)

You'll be paying sticker.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:50 pm

A partner talked shit about K-JD to me in an interview.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”