How to handle a statement for a disciplinary warning?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Baruch Hume

How to handle a statement for a disciplinary warning?

Postby Baruch Hume » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:05 pm

I was accepted in to Law School for this coming fall, and in the process to finalize my enrollment, I was required to hand in a dean's certification form. After doing so, it appeared that the dean of my undergraduate program had me listed for a disciplinary warning for the Spring semester of 2006, due to the accusation of drug possession/usage/being in the presence of drugs, something which I was not aware of. I was emailed by the dean of my law school to submit a description of the event so they can attach it to my application and close my file. The charge resulted from a complaint that my dorm smelled like marijuana upon inspection of my RA, on a day in which my roommate had been smoking, and I was at home and not at school. I was found guilty to the charge since I failed to appear before student judiciary board hearing, which for whatever reason I was not notified of.
I went to my undergraduate school’s dean of students office, where I was informed that I would not be able to challenge this decision since the event happened back in 2005.

I am checking to see if this statement would be ok to send to the dean of students of the law school I am attending. I feel that either way I am going to look bad on this one, but I want to do as much damage control as possible.

The disciplinary warning by xxxx University of 2/3/06 to 05/3/06, resulted from a suspicion of drug possession/ drug usage/ being in the presence of drugs, during the Fall semester of 2005. On November 5, 2005 there had been a complaint of a smell of smoke coming from my dorm room. When the room was inspected by a public safety officer of xxxx University, there was no one in the room. I met with an administrator from the xxxx University Dean of Students office, and informed them I was at home during the day of the incident. I had failed to appear before a Student Judiciary Board subsequent to this meeting, and was thus given a disciplinary warning for the Spring Semester of 2006.

Re: How to handle a statement for a disciplinary warning?

Postby richie222 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:57 pm

do you have a pre-law advisor you can call. i got a ton of help from the pre-law advisor at my former undergrad university on writing about this type of stuff, and they were ready and willing to help me even though i graduated in 2010.

Re: How to handle a statement for a disciplinary warning?

Postby MumofCad » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:58 pm

I would expand slightly on the brief note. I got alot more clarity on the situation from the paragraph above it. Maybe make it more of a statement than a defense to in the wording: "I informed the Dean that I was in fact at home during the incident, and considered the matter resolved. I was not informed of a further disciplinary meeting, resulting in my non-appearance and subsequent automatic warning. As I had not been notified of the meeting, I was not aware that I had failed to show at the hearing and received any disciplinary action."

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”