LSAC GPA vs. AMCAS GPA?? Confused!!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gabletrained

LSAC GPA vs. AMCAS GPA?? Confused!!

Postby gabletrained » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:48 am

I heard through a med school friend that AMCAS factors undergraduate grades into their gpa for classes taken after initial graduation. Does anyone know if this is true. The reason I ask is simply curiosity. I graduated nearly 10 years ago with a 3.2 gpa in communications. About 4 years ago I completed the undergraduate requirements for a psychology degree with at 3.93 gpa (much better). This was simply a fact of maturity. According to my friend, if I were applying to medical school, I would be sitting pretty well gpa wise because they would factor my 3.93 into their gpa calculation. It hurts that LSAC doesn't factor in these grades. Is this simply an LSAC thing? How does this process work for other graduate programs? If my friend is incorrect, I can at least go on not kicking myself quite so hard. Let me know if you have any knowledge regarding this.

Hawkeye Pierce

Re: LSAC GPA vs. AMCAS GPA?? Confused!!

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:57 am

Not entirely sure what the point of this thread is.... Are you going to apply to other graduate programs if they did take into account GPA post-graduation?

If not, just forget about it...

NewLobo

Postby NewLobo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:55 am

Your friend is correct. I also agree with the above. Is your point just to gripe about the law school admissions process?

gabletrained

Postby gabletrained » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:41 pm

Yes, my point is to gripe about the law school admissions process. It is idiotic for LSAC to not process the gpa of a second bachelor's degree when figuring LSAC gpa. Think about it; I have a blah gpa in an easy major, and a strong gpa in a slightly more difficult major. Why on earth would every graduate program known to exist (a more prestigious AMCAS included) take into account (for obvious reasons) the gpa of a second bachelor's degree, while LSAC takes only the gpa of the initial one? It's ludicrous!

If I want to be a PT and graduated with a 2.8 gpa, all I have to do is go back to undergrad, Ace a bunch of science prerequisites, and I'm in like Flynn. That makes sense. The same should be true for law school!

In a day in age where schools "look to the highest" and you can take the LSAT 5 times until you get a good score, why in the hell can't you go back and pick up a few extra gpa points as well? I guess I am just irritated that LSAC is the only graduate school employing this Naziist gpa policy.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:05 pm

Med school is a lot more holistic. There's also the whole required science classes like oh, Organic Chemistry, and a lot of top schools are expecting Biochemistry...etc. If you actually find it easy to ace these courses from a reputable program, then you shouldn't be going to law school.

TrojanHopeful

Postby TrojanHopeful » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:45 pm

Go to top-med-schools and ask.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”