Question regarding LSAT (Specifically CAS)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TRex77

Question regarding LSAT (Specifically CAS)

Postby TRex77 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:40 am

So I am planning on taking the LSAT on Oct. 1. I know you can have your scores and everything set to schools of your choice automatically, but I won't be applying for 2-3 more years so don't want to do this.

What exactly is this Credential Assembly Service? Do I have to do it now or can I wait until I get closer to applying for law school?

Thanks!

Hawkeye Pierce

Re: Question regarding LSAT (Specifically CAS)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:53 am

It's for submitting transcripts and letters of recommendation. Just buy it before you start sending those in, so I'd guess the winter/spring before you actually apply (you want to give a bit if cushion just in case of any hiccups)

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:54 am

TRex77 wrote:So I am planning on taking the LSAT on Oct. 1. I know you can have your scores and everything set to schools of your choice automatically, but I won't be applying for 2-3 more years so don't want to do this.

What exactly is this Credential Assembly Service? Do I have to do it now or can I wait until I get closer to applying for law school?

Thanks!

the CAS is only for one year. So if you register now, you would be wasting your money. The general rule is to apply for CAS at least 3 weeks before your FIRST law school applications are due ( so your 1 year membership will last the entire application cycle)

the cas (credential assembly service) does what its name suggests. it assembles your credentials for law schools to see. Basically, you send in your transcript and letters of recommendation to CAS. They will them compile a report and make everything a neat bundle. Then, they send that bundle to every school you apply to on LSAC.

So basically, it's like a middleman who does all the logisitcal work

richie222

Postby richie222 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:31 am

i am pretty sure it lasts for 5 years

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”