Addendum for GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PJG70

Addendum for GPA

Postby PJG70 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:05 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for some feedback/ opinions for this addendum regarding matters related to GPA inconsistencies. I'm attempting to steer away from making excuses, instead, I'm attempting to merely explain my circumstances. Please feel free to make changes or offer ideas to strengthen it.

I appreciate your comments.

Here it is-

I’d like to use this portion of the addendum to address some inconsistencies in my GPA. The courses of my first two years as an undergraduate were all towards an associate’s in business, which required much different skill set and learning style then a liberal arts degree. I was not completely prepared for this change when I entered the liberal arts degree, which is why my junior year grades suffered some. As a senior, when I entered the upper level courses, I doubled my study hours and adjusted my style of learning to see that my grades improved to mostly A’s. This drop in grades will not happen during law school because I have taken two years off to prepare myself for this type of studying.

The low grades in Spanish can be attributed to a matter of prioritization. During my senior year I directed nearly all my efforts towards both excelling in my communication courses, working part time and developing a community service project as a the philanthropy chair in my fraternity.

thederangedwang

Re: Addendum for GPA

Postby thederangedwang » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:12 pm

PJG70 wrote:Hi all,

I'm looking for some feedback/ opinions for this addendum regarding matters related to GPA inconsistencies. I'm attempting to steer away from making excuses, instead, I'm attempting to merely explain my circumstances. Please feel free to make changes or offer ideas to strengthen it.

I appreciate your comments.

Here it is-

I’d like to use this portion of the addendum to address some inconsistencies in my GPA. The courses of my first two years as an undergraduate were all towards an associate’s in business, which required much different skill set and learning style then a liberal arts degree. I was not completely prepared for this change when I entered the liberal arts degree, which is why my junior year grades suffered some. As a senior, when I entered the upper level courses, I doubled my study hours and adjusted my style of learning to see that my grades improved to mostly A’s. This drop in grades will not happen during law school because I have taken two years off to prepare myself for this type of studying.

The low grades in Spanish can be attributed to a matter of prioritization. During my senior year I directed nearly all my efforts towards both excelling in my communication courses, working part time and developing a community service project as a the philanthropy chair in my fraternity.

DELETE!!!!

You are basically saying, sorry, my grades were bad cause I was too busy with my frat....

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:13 pm

Do not write a GPA addendum...

MoS

Postby MoS » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:14 pm

Haha. This is (A) not something you should write an addendum for, and (B) a terrible spin on the situation.

You switched from an easy major to another easy major and it wasn't easy for you. Also, what did you do for two year to prepare for law school studying? Sorry that part just made me laugh.

Unless you got a deadly disease, had to take care of a debilitated family member, or were debilitated in a significant way, you should not be making excuses for your GPA.

PJG70

Postby PJG70 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:34 pm

The honesty is appreciated. I have read that it is better to disclose then not. But the last thing I want to do is present admissions with statements that appear to be excuses.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:37 pm

PJG70 wrote:The honesty is appreciated. I have read that it is better to disclose then not. But the last thing I want to do is present admissions with statements that appear to be excuses.

It's better to disclose...when you have something to /disclose/. This is not disclosing anything, this is exactly what they'll assume even without a GPA addendum. Sending one in is just confirming it and calling attention to it.

A GPA addendum should be disclosing something that sets your case apart from the rest of the business/PS/soc/philo/etc majors who were involved in frats/clubs/nonprofs on campus and switched majors (read: almost everyone applying to LS). It should be something like a family crisis, some sort of sickness, or having to work FT during school to support yourself/your family.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:00 pm

If you were ever on academic probation, however, you will have to write an addendum. If this is not the case, don't draw attention to it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”