Resume question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HellOnHeels

Resume question

Postby HellOnHeels » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:30 pm

Last edited by HellOnHeels on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

acrossthelake

Re: Resume question

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:39 pm

stephinmd wrote:I currently have a resume that I keep updated. However, I have been out of undergrad since 2004, so my resume consists of jobs held, schools attended, degrees earned, that sort of thing.

My question is, on the resume I submit for applications, should I put back in all the awards and extra things I did as an undergrad? Luckily, I still have a copy of my resume from when I graduated, so I don't have to remember all those things, but on top of current career stuff, it might get lengthy.

Don't go over 2 pages, and don't go over 1 page for Yale, and that's fine. You obviously want to emphasize what you've done more recently, but you can tuck awards and undergrad stuff under the heading for your college. I'd put in stuff you had leadership positions for. If it gets unwieldy, leave out stuff you were just a peripheral member of unless it was an affinity group and you're applying for diversity scholarships.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:40 pm

Yep. Include them under 'Education' with subheads of 'Honors & Awards' and 'Extracurriculars' (for example). GPA is really what counts, but they do want to see sports, clubs, scholarships, honor societies, offices held, etc.
(And don't forget Dean's List like I did. D'oh.)

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:45 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
stephinmd wrote:I currently have a resume that I keep updated. However, I have been out of undergrad since 2004, so my resume consists of jobs held, schools attended, degrees earned, that sort of thing.

My question is, on the resume I submit for applications, should I put back in all the awards and extra things I did as an undergrad? Luckily, I still have a copy of my resume from when I graduated, so I don't have to remember all those things, but on top of current career stuff, it might get lengthy.

Don't go over 2 pages, and don't go over 1 page for Yale, and that's fine. You obviously want to emphasize what you've done more recently, but you can tuck awards and undergrad stuff under the heading for your college. I'd put in stuff you had leadership positions for. If it gets unwieldy, leave out stuff you were just a peripheral member of unless it was an affinity group and you're applying for diversity scholarships.

Why do you say this about Yale? Is it listed somewhere on the YALE website that they dont want 2 pages resumes?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:47 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
Why do you say this about Yale? Is it listed somewhere on the YALE website that they dont want 2 pages resumes?

Dean Asha wrote about it in a blog post.

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:50 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

Have a link for that?

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:54 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

Found the blog...thanks, you mighta saved me there

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:54 pm

kulshan wrote:
Have a link for that?

6. OK, I'm going to get dicey here and, after the overwhelming response to my post on proper punctuation, I have a feeling this might get controversial. If you do include a resume (which we don't require), it should be one page. This is standard business practice, unless you're an academic with a lot of publications to your name which might take several pages to list. Now, this isn't a job application, and I'm sure we admit many people every year who have multiple-page resumes, so it's not an application-killer. But from a practical perspective, I'll note that it's really a lot easier to read a one-page resume and to see your life highlights at a glance. If you're concerned that you won't be able to fit everything you want to show on one page -- voila! We have a question on our application just for you -- Question 5a-c (see above).

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... tters.aspx

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:54 pm

kulshan wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

Have a link for that?

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:03 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
kulshan wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

Have a link for that?

Thanks.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”