Waiting for a very strong LOR Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I wait for the "PERFECT" LOR?

wait for his letter because your app isn't done til oct anyhow
91%
move on, he is too busy
9%

Total votes: 11

lrslayer

Silver

Waiting for a very strong LOR

Post by lrslayer » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:28 pm

I have a professor that is a very strong recommender and an alumni for my target school who everyone knows due to the fact that he is a local pundit as well as former mayoral candidate for the city. The problem is that he just got promoted to department chair starting fall semester and is finishing another book and blah blah blah, so he is super busy. When we met today he said he would LOVE to recommend me and in the very next breath told me applications weren't due until November. This tips me off that he will drag his feet. Is this an accurate assumption? Does it matter? I am taking October LSAT so it shouldn't matter anyhow right? I had hoped to have apps done way before hand so that as soon as LSAT scores were released I would be done. I was under the impression that this is best due to the rolling admissions cycles. Does it matter or should I just not count on his letter?
Thanks in advance!

Gold

Re: Waiting for a very strong LOR

Post by 094320 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:38 pm

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:05 pm

acrossthelake wrote: ETA: So yeah, have him be your third, and have 2 others ready to go.
Yeah I'd say this is TCR.

He's probably stressed from the big workload he's got and isn't thrilled about throwing on any more. If that's fresh on his mind he's probably inclined to resist taking on anything else. If you tell him it's important that you get these apps in early you should be fine. But have that contingency letter just in case.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:49 am

Also remember at some most schools you can still send LORs in after everything is complete. His letter might also be a good one to send later on to schools you haven't heard from or are waitlisted at. I would just go ahead and send in your applications and add his later as a third.

Michaela

Bronze

Post by Michaela » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:13 am

lrslayer wrote:I have a professor that is a very strong recommender and an alumni for my target school who everyone knows due to the fact that he is a local pundit as well as former mayoral candidate for the city. The problem is that he just got promoted to department chair starting fall semester and is finishing another book and blah blah blah, so he is super busy. When we met today he said he would LOVE to recommend me and in the very next breath told me applications weren't due until November. This tips me off that he will drag his feet. Is this an accurate assumption? Does it matter? I am taking October LSAT so it shouldn't matter anyhow right? I had hoped to have apps done way before hand so that as soon as LSAT scores were released I would be done. I was under the impression that this is best due to the rolling admissions cycles. Does it matter or should I just not count on his letter?
Thanks in advance!
I read that whole post in Starbuck's voice. LOVE your 'tar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:18 am

While being a waitress is a great soft, I don't know if it's working just for the LOR.

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:26 am

Michaela wrote:
lrslayer wrote:I have a professor that is a very strong recommender and an alumni for my target school who everyone knows due to the fact that he is a local pundit as well as former mayoral candidate for the city. The problem is that he just got promoted to department chair starting fall semester and is finishing another book and blah blah blah, so he is super busy. When we met today he said he would LOVE to recommend me and in the very next breath told me applications weren't due until November. This tips me off that he will drag his feet. Is this an accurate assumption? Does it matter? I am taking October LSAT so it shouldn't matter anyhow right? I had hoped to have apps done way before hand so that as soon as LSAT scores were released I would be done. I was under the impression that this is best due to the rolling admissions cycles. Does it matter or should I just not count on his letter?
Thanks in advance!
Would you believe I look like her in real life? I went to comic con dressed like her and had sooooo many people asking for autograph and taking pics with me. I never dressed like that for comic con again. :)

edit: and I flew on helicopters in the marines so she and i have a lot in common! haha

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:29 am

flexityflex86 wrote:While being a waitress is a great soft, I don't know if it's working just for the LOR.
my softs? oh, you must be mistaking waitressing for flying the helicopter into baghdad that carried the recon team that captured Saddam Hussein. innocent mistake i'm sure, i know they are VERY similar :)

Michaela

Bronze

Post by Michaela » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:43 am

lrslayer wrote:
Michaela wrote:
Thanks in advance!
Would you believe I look like her in real life? I went to comic con dressed like her and had sooooo many people asking for autograph and taking pics with me. I never dressed like that for comic con again. :)

edit: and I flew on helicopters in the marines so she and i have a lot in common! haha
That is so awesome! I'm just starting season 4 and am soooo sad that it's almost over, I am SO obsessed.

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:50 am

Michaela wrote:
lrslayer wrote:
Michaela wrote:
Thanks in advance!

That is so awesome! I'm just starting season 4 and am soooo sad that it's almost over, I am SO obsessed.
enjoy the ride!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”