Waiting for a very strong LOR

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I wait for the "PERFECT" LOR?

wait for his letter because your app isn't done til oct anyhow
10
91%
move on, he is too busy
1
9%
 
Total votes: 11

User avatar
lrslayer
Posts: 576
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 am

Waiting for a very strong LOR

Postby lrslayer » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:28 pm

I have a professor that is a very strong recommender and an alumni for my target school who everyone knows due to the fact that he is a local pundit as well as former mayoral candidate for the city. The problem is that he just got promoted to department chair starting fall semester and is finishing another book and blah blah blah, so he is super busy. When we met today he said he would LOVE to recommend me and in the very next breath told me applications weren't due until November. This tips me off that he will drag his feet. Is this an accurate assumption? Does it matter? I am taking October LSAT so it shouldn't matter anyhow right? I had hoped to have apps done way before hand so that as soon as LSAT scores were released I would be done. I was under the impression that this is best due to the rolling admissions cycles. Does it matter or should I just not count on his letter?
Thanks in advance!

094320
Posts: 4086
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Waiting for a very strong LOR

Postby 094320 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:38 pm

..

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3151
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Waiting for a very strong LOR

Postby minnbills » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:05 pm

acrossthelake wrote:ETA: So yeah, have him be your third, and have 2 others ready to go.


Yeah I'd say this is TCR.

He's probably stressed from the big workload he's got and isn't thrilled about throwing on any more. If that's fresh on his mind he's probably inclined to resist taking on anything else. If you tell him it's important that you get these apps in early you should be fine. But have that contingency letter just in case.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11559
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Waiting for a very strong LOR

Postby Dany » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:49 am

Also remember at some most schools you can still send LORs in after everything is complete. His letter might also be a good one to send later on to schools you haven't heard from or are waitlisted at. I would just go ahead and send in your applications and add his later as a third.

User avatar
Michaela
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Waiting for a very strong LOR

Postby Michaela » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:13 am

lrslayer wrote:I have a professor that is a very strong recommender and an alumni for my target school who everyone knows due to the fact that he is a local pundit as well as former mayoral candidate for the city. The problem is that he just got promoted to department chair starting fall semester and is finishing another book and blah blah blah, so he is super busy. When we met today he said he would LOVE to recommend me and in the very next breath told me applications weren't due until November. This tips me off that he will drag his feet. Is this an accurate assumption? Does it matter? I am taking October LSAT so it shouldn't matter anyhow right? I had hoped to have apps done way before hand so that as soon as LSAT scores were released I would be done. I was under the impression that this is best due to the rolling admissions cycles. Does it matter or should I just not count on his letter?
Thanks in advance!


I read that whole post in Starbuck's voice. LOVE your 'tar.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Waiting for a very strong LOR

Postby flexityflex86 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:18 am

While being a waitress is a great soft, I don't know if it's working just for the LOR.

User avatar
lrslayer
Posts: 576
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 am

Re: Waiting for a very strong LOR

Postby lrslayer » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:26 am

Michaela wrote:
lrslayer wrote:I have a professor that is a very strong recommender and an alumni for my target school who everyone knows due to the fact that he is a local pundit as well as former mayoral candidate for the city. The problem is that he just got promoted to department chair starting fall semester and is finishing another book and blah blah blah, so he is super busy. When we met today he said he would LOVE to recommend me and in the very next breath told me applications weren't due until November. This tips me off that he will drag his feet. Is this an accurate assumption? Does it matter? I am taking October LSAT so it shouldn't matter anyhow right? I had hoped to have apps done way before hand so that as soon as LSAT scores were released I would be done. I was under the impression that this is best due to the rolling admissions cycles. Does it matter or should I just not count on his letter?
Thanks in advance!


I read that whole post in Starbuck's voice. LOVE your 'tar.

Would you believe I look like her in real life? I went to comic con dressed like her and had sooooo many people asking for autograph and taking pics with me. I never dressed like that for comic con again. :)

edit: and I flew on helicopters in the marines so she and i have a lot in common! haha

User avatar
lrslayer
Posts: 576
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 am

Re: Waiting for a very strong LOR

Postby lrslayer » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:29 am

flexityflex86 wrote:While being a waitress is a great soft, I don't know if it's working just for the LOR.


my softs? oh, you must be mistaking waitressing for flying the helicopter into baghdad that carried the recon team that captured Saddam Hussein. innocent mistake i'm sure, i know they are VERY similar :)

User avatar
Michaela
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Waiting for a very strong LOR

Postby Michaela » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:43 am

lrslayer wrote:
Michaela wrote:
lrslayer wrote:I have a professor that is a very strong recommender and an alumni for my target school who everyone knows due to the fact that he is a local pundit as well as former mayoral candidate for the city. The problem is that he just got promoted to department chair starting fall semester and is finishing another book and blah blah blah, so he is super busy. When we met today he said he would LOVE to recommend me and in the very next breath told me applications weren't due until November. This tips me off that he will drag his feet. Is this an accurate assumption? Does it matter? I am taking October LSAT so it shouldn't matter anyhow right? I had hoped to have apps done way before hand so that as soon as LSAT scores were released I would be done. I was under the impression that this is best due to the rolling admissions cycles. Does it matter or should I just not count on his letter?
Thanks in advance!


I read that whole post in Starbuck's voice. LOVE your 'tar.

Would you believe I look like her in real life? I went to comic con dressed like her and had sooooo many people asking for autograph and taking pics with me. I never dressed like that for comic con again. :)

edit: and I flew on helicopters in the marines so she and i have a lot in common! haha


That is so awesome! I'm just starting season 4 and am soooo sad that it's almost over, I am SO obsessed.

User avatar
lrslayer
Posts: 576
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 am

Re: Waiting for a very strong LOR

Postby lrslayer » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:50 am

Michaela wrote:
lrslayer wrote:
Michaela wrote:
lrslayer wrote:I have a professor that is a very strong recommender and an alumni for my target school who everyone knows due to the fact that he is a local pundit as well as former mayoral candidate for the city. The problem is that he just got promoted to department chair starting fall semester and is finishing another book and blah blah blah, so he is super busy. When we met today he said he would LOVE to recommend me and in the very next breath told me applications weren't due until November. This tips me off that he will drag his feet. Is this an accurate assumption? Does it matter? I am taking October LSAT so it shouldn't matter anyhow right? I had hoped to have apps done way before hand so that as soon as LSAT scores were released I would be done. I was under the impression that this is best due to the rolling admissions cycles. Does it matter or should I just not count on his letter?
Thanks in advance!


I read that whole post in Starbuck's voice. LOVE your 'tar.

Would you believe I look like her in real life? I went to comic con dressed like her and had sooooo many people asking for autograph and taking pics with me. I never dressed like that for comic con again. :)

edit: and I flew on helicopters in the marines so she and i have a lot in common! haha


That is so awesome! I'm just starting season 4 and am soooo sad that it's almost over, I am SO obsessed.


enjoy the ride!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests