Does ED affect my chances for NYU's RTK and others

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
$1.99

Does ED affect my chances for NYU's RTK and others

Postby $1.99 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:16 pm

would applying ED and getting accepted lessen my chances for the RTK and other scholarships as it would for my financial aid package?

sarahh

Re: Does ED affect my chances for NYU's RTK and others

Postby sarahh » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:59 pm

I don't believe so. A special committee decides who to invite to the interviews and then you are interviewed by a panel of people. I think they are more focused on your public interest experience.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:09 pm

A Root who I know doesn't feel ED will hurt your chances at all. There was even a bit of speculation that your commitment to attending NYU may be an asset during the interview, if you are granted one. Best of luck!

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:23 pm

clintonius wrote:A Root who I know doesn't feel ED will hurt your chances at all. There was even a bit of speculation that your commitment to attending NYU may be an asset during the interview, if you are granted one. Best of luck!

I'm skeptical. NYU manages their money rather carefully, why would they pay out for a guaranteed enrollment? Also, why would someone with RTK numbers ED anyways? I wouldn't personally be hoping for much money out of them after ED. I'm relentlessly cynical however.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:38 pm

that is what i thought as well but i saw some ppl on lsn get these with sub median numbers. i wish someone who attends NYU or is a RTK fellow could chime in.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:56 pm

ahduth wrote:
clintonius wrote:A Root who I know doesn't feel ED will hurt your chances at all. There was even a bit of speculation that your commitment to attending NYU may be an asset during the interview, if you are granted one. Best of luck!

I'm skeptical. NYU manages their money rather carefully, why would they pay out for a guaranteed enrollment? Also, why would someone with RTK numbers ED anyways? I wouldn't personally be hoping for much money out of them after ED. I'm relentlessly cynical however.

RTK is not simply a general merit scholarship. You get the scholarship, but you have to participate in additional activities during the year and commit yourself to public service. I interviewed for RTK, and I don't see them flying people out there and making them interview in front of a 7-person panel if it was only a tool for luring people with high numbers. All the RTK people that I met had significant public interest experience.

Also, you should not ED to a school if you are not willing to go at sticker.

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:30 pm

When i talked to an NYU adcomm at the LSAC Chicago forum, he told me RTK and the other fellowships are not merit, numbers driven awards, but that substantive experience and commitment to public service are key.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:54 pm

I have some reason to believe they offer RTKs to people that both deserve it and might be lured to some other school otherwise. So it might affect your app in that they won't need to lure you away. You will attend anyway.

Everyone that interviews has strong PI credentials, and I don't think the decisions are made on scores at that point, but I do think what other schools you've been accepted to plays a part.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:41 pm

Do you really have to post the same question over and over again in new threads?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Yes. NYU hates erectile dysfunction.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:31 pm

sarahh wrote:
ahduth wrote:

RTK is not simply a general merit scholarship. You get the scholarship, but you have to participate in additional activities during the year and commit yourself to public service. I interviewed for RTK, and I don't see them flying people out there and making them interview in front of a 7-person panel if it was only a tool for luring people with high numbers. All the RTK people that I met had significant public interest experience.

Also, you should not ED to a school if you are not willing to go at sticker.

Maybe NYU really is cooler than u of c and CLS. I still find it tough to believe that RTK and the like aren't just Rubenstein/Hamiltons in fancier clothing.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”