What do fee waivers really mean? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FMK_18840

New

What do fee waivers really mean?

Post by FMK_18840 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:02 pm

I got a fee waiver for a T-20 school, and I don't exactly have T-20 numbers. Are these schools just trying to raise their number of rejections? Or, do I legitimately have a chance at the school having been selected to apply for free?

Sorry if this post seems a little disorganized, or if the subject has already been discussed.

Thanks in advance

NYC Law

Gold

Re: What do fee waivers really mean?

Post by NYC Law » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:06 pm

You're correct, many schools just send them out to lower their acceptance percent. You still may as well apply since it's free, but don't expect much.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:09 pm

It isn't even completely free. You still have to pay LSAC (I think it's $12). So if you're A) sure they won't accept you, or at least sure enough that $12 can be put to better use or B) you're never going to attend even if accepted, then you'd be better off just not sending in the application.

FMK_18840

New

Post by FMK_18840 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:13 pm

I knew it! Do you have to register for the CAS before schools can find you?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:16 pm

FMK_18840 wrote:I knew it! Do you have to register for the CAS before schools can find you?
I think you have to sign up for CRS (the free referral service), not CAS though (the service you have to pay for before applying).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FMK_18840

New

Post by FMK_18840 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:17 pm

Got it. Thanks :)

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:39 pm

What about schools you have the #s for? Are they just looking to boost the applicant pool?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:46 pm

minnbills wrote:What about schools you have the #s for? Are they just looking to boost the applicant pool?
Then that could be a good sign, just go ahead and apply. They really don't mean anything. Some schools send them to applicants they have no intention of admitting, some send them to applicants they will admit but might be in an area the applicant would otherwise overlook, then of course theres the slew of TTTs just looking to lure some suckers. Take any fee waivers with a grain of salt, but if you would actually consider attending then go ahead and apply wherever you get them (even if they seem out of reach). It also helps to keep an open mind and apply to schools for free you haven't otherwise considered - many of them offer to pay for you to visit so it can be a good opportunity to check out parts of the country you've never seen, you could end up falling in love with the area and attending.

sold123

New

Post by sold123 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:54 pm

I wouldn't really worry about what it "means". That's a pretty elusive answer. If I had mild interest in a school, and said school bestowed me with a fee waiver (solicited or unsolicited), I would send in my application.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:04 pm

NYC Law wrote:
minnbills wrote:What about schools you have the #s for? Are they just looking to boost the applicant pool?
Then that could be a good sign, just go ahead and apply. They really don't mean anything. Some schools send them to applicants they have no intention of admitting, some send them to applicants they will admit but might be in an area the applicant would otherwise overlook, then of course theres the slew of TTTs just looking to lure some suckers. Take any fee waivers with a grain of salt, but if you would actually consider attending then go ahead and apply wherever you get them (even if they seem out of reach). It also helps to keep an open mind and apply to schools for free you haven't otherwise considered - many of them offer to pay for you to visit so it can be a good opportunity to check out parts of the country you've never seen, you could end up falling in love with the area and attending.
The school is MN. I know that they sent out a ton of fee waivers already, I also heard (although hearsay I suppose) from an alumni that the admissions dept. was sending out emails last cycle detailing how they weren't getting enough applicants.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:07 pm

minnbills wrote: The school is MN. I know that they sent out a ton of fee waivers already, I also heard (although hearsay I suppose) from an alumni that the admissions dept. was sending out emails last cycle detailing how they weren't getting enough applicants.
That's actually one of the schools I had in mind (I received an app from them last cycle). Apply early and check it out if you get in. Minneapolis is awesome and they reimburse up to $300 if you go visit. Plus they're very generous with scholarship money. It might be a good sign, but it's hard to tell. UIUC sent out a ton of fee waivers and subsequently waitlisted almost everyone, so a fee waiver is by no means a sure thing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”