Using LS LoRs in internship application packet

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bobeo

Using LS LoRs in internship application packet

Postby Bobeo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:25 pm

I am planning on applying for a legislative internship and they ask for 3 professional/academic LoRs. Assuming that the internship committee is ok with me using the same letters as my LS apps (they might mention my desire for LS), would LSAC have a problem with it? I only ask because I signed the thing on the LoR form. But the fact is I need 3 LoRs and I feel bad asking my recommendera to rewrite them.

And, in your opinion, would using law school LoRs be acceptable for an internship application?

Samara

Re: Using LS LoRs in internship application packet

Postby Samara » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:40 pm

The law school letters mention law school, right? That would be weird if you submitted a letter for an internship that mentioned law school. As someone who used to evaluate applicants for a legislative internship program, I would view someone who is submitting LS letters for an internship application as a candidate who is not serious about the internship program.

It should be really easy for your recommenders to change the letters from addressing law school to addressing an internship program, though.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:52 pm

Might look a little weird to the committee if the letter says "and this is why I think X is such a great candidate for law school." eh?

Bobeo

Postby Bobeo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:58 pm

Alright good advice. I just feel bad asking my teachers in particular to redo the letters especially when I got them relatively long ago (6-8 months). And I've already graduated. It just feels weird but that's what I will do I guess.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:06 pm

Have you read the letters? If not, just ask the recommenders if they remember how they tailored it. I can't imagine it would be a big deal for someone to rework a letter a little bit.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”