DS - first generation/socioeconomic status..help?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Killingly

DS - first generation/socioeconomic status..help?

Postby Killingly » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:50 pm

Technically, I'm not considered a first generation college/post-graduate student. My biological mother holds only a high school diploma, while my adoptive father has a master's degree. Before my parents' marriage and my subsequent adoption, my mother and I struggled economically. We had subsidized housing/daycare, food stamps, etc. Thanks to my father's financial contributions, we were able to live a comfortable middle-class lifestyle.

None of my mother's extended family has been educated beyond high school. Their lifestyles reflect this. My adoptive father's family is much wealthier and well-off. Both his parents hold graduate degrees. I grew up well aware of "where I came from" and how fortunate I was to be given a much more stable life.

Would this be an appropriate topic to write a DS about? I understand that I could very well be pushing it (and that my situation, although weird, is not necessarily diverse), but I figured I'd ask. I don't want to waste an opportunity for a DS if I actually have one.

Killingly

Re: DS - first generation/socioeconomic status..help?

Postby Killingly » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:47 pm

Anyone?

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:10 pm

can definitely write one, or put it into your PS.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:24 am

Thanks for the input. My PS currently touches on this subject, but I was thinking of rewriting it to keep it and the DS from overlapping.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:28 am

This is a very good topic, however, just be careful to not make it into a soap opera sob story

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:30 am

Definitely. I don't want to throw a pity party.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”