Noob question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
panico

Noob question

Postby panico » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:11 pm

it seems everyone usually applies their junior year, but why not wait until after your graduate senior year and take the test that summer. When you apply you would have only had a few months work experience anyway, so if i just don't mention any work experience (because I won't have a job) would it hurt me?

Br3v

Re: Noob question

Postby Br3v » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:15 pm

Most ppl apply senior yr

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:21 pm

panico wrote:it seems everyone usually applies their junior year, but why not wait until after your graduate senior year and take the test that summer. When you apply you would have only had a few months work experience anyway, so if i just don't mention any work experience (because I won't have a job) would it hurt me?

Assuming you mean take the LSAT between junior and senior year, and apply senior year and that your plan is to take the test after senior year and apply the next fall.

If that is the case, you should at least have an answer to the question of what you're doing during that year off. Applicants have definitely been asked that question by schools. I know Michigan does that, and I would expect any school that would consider interviewing (GULC, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Harvard, etc.) would ask that question as well. If you have a good answer, then you'll be fine. But a gap on your resume is never a good thing. It could also look like you tried to find a job, but are so miserable at anything job-related you couldn't land one. That isn't a very good message to send.

However, if you take time off and actually get a job... that could be beneficial for your cycle. In fact, maybe you can get a job that you like and don't have to shell out six-figures in order to do it. Then it would definitely be worth it.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:35 pm

I took a year off and bullshitted. Did some volunteer stuff and some odd jobs for money (painting, vineyard work, shit like that) and no one ever questioned it. You don't have to do anything amazing...it's really not that serious.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”