year off, advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
confusedlaw

year off, advice

Postby confusedlaw » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:46 pm

So after the june lsat i decided that i will take a year off and reapply, went from a 157-167 so it was a pretty big leap.

I was wondering what kind of things i could do that would make my app look better.
i have a job now but its part time working as a tutor at an elementary school in Manhattan, but its only going to be 30 hours.
As a liberal arts major in college, there are not many jobs out there that i qualify for without furthering my education

Does anyone have any opinions of things i could do, i have been volunteering on the weekends since i was 15, but i was looking to maybe do some more of that or other options.

i know things like TFA and Peace Corps are out, but any advice would be great

numbers 167- 3.7ish

loomstate

Re: year off, advice

Postby loomstate » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:52 pm

i would advise you to keep up the volunteering and apply for as many positions as you can. what was your major? environmental studies? apply for environmental research positions at universities, join not for profit campaign efforts etc. use your imagination and stay busy. also a position that you could tie into your reasoning for taking the year off would be preferred... ie you're working as a legal assistant because you want to make sure you want to be a lawyer before committing to LS etc.

confusedlaw

Postby confusedlaw » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:53 pm

thanks, i was a history major, if that clears anything up

and i mean realistically i took the year off because my score jumped so high lol so this is why im asking for some advice, thanks again!

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:20 pm

You can continue tutoring/working part-time and apply for jobs on the side.

If you don't want to try TFA/Peace Corps, you could still try:

- Applying to non-profit entry level positions through Idealist.org
- Work as a paralegal at a law firm/ non-profit (downside: most want you to stay for 2 years)
- Americorps - 1 year long
- City Year (also in education) - 1 year long
- Match Corps - only 1 year long - --LinkRemoved--
- Teach abroad through programs like JET, in Korea, World Teach, Teach for India, etc
- Or just continue doing what you are now for the next year, if you like it, and try to negotiate a full time position with them.

confusedlaw

Postby confusedlaw » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:54 pm

it seems that it is too late to apply for most of these opportunities, with the only ones available are the ones that end in the middle of october or november

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:03 pm

Why not see if your local history museum has an internship program? I worked at a museum for several years and took on a ton of interns in my department. It's fun, and if you could swing it in the research/curatorial department, you might learn a bit about conservation laws.

A bit out of left field, but I thought I'd throw it out as a possibility :)

confusedlaw

Postby confusedlaw » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:07 pm

i emailed the museum of nat history today, so maybe that will come, but i figured enough people do that so that it wont really make me stand out

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:21 pm

Working 30 hours a week is sufficient.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:35 pm

Working 30 hours a week and volunteering sounds like enough to me, honestly.

confusedlaw

Postby confusedlaw » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:36 pm

you think so? thanks!
i just figured with the year off if there is anything i can do to help my chances at my reach school, i should try and add on to my resume

btw the reach is cornell

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:46 pm

confusedlaw wrote:you think so? thanks!
i just figured with the year off if there is anything i can do to help my chances at my reach school, i should try and add on to my resume

btw the reach is cornell

No, I don't think any of your other options will improve your chances much.

The only softs/WE that would matter more are things like Peace Corps, TFA, working in prestigious companies or the UN or something more extraordinary.

The other options you have aren't going to change the game much for you compared to your current position.

GueritaPeloChino

Postby GueritaPeloChino » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:59 am

confusedlaw wrote:So after the june lsat i decided that i will take a year off and reapply, went from a 157-167 so it was a pretty big leap.

I was wondering what kind of things i could do that would make my app look better.
i have a job now but its part time working as a tutor at an elementary school in Manhattan, but its only going to be 30 hours.
As a liberal arts major in college, there are not many jobs out there that i qualify for without furthering my education

Does anyone have any opinions of things i could do, i have been volunteering on the weekends since i was 15, but i was looking to maybe do some more of that or other options.

i know things like TFA and Peace Corps are out, but any advice would be great

numbers 167- 3.7ish

Congratulations! How did you increase your score so much? Any LSAT study tips?

confusedlaw

Postby confusedlaw » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:09 am

When I first took it I used kaplan and only did what hey asked. Aka only takin 4 practice test and their methods. Then I discovered TLS wisdom and got the powerscore bibiles and took about 25 more tests. I did neglect rc a lot and I wish I hadn't because I got minus 7 which really stopped me from getting a 170

GueritaPeloChino

Postby GueritaPeloChino » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:07 pm

confusedlaw wrote:When I first took it I used kaplan and only did what hey asked. Aka only takin 4 practice test and their methods. Then I discovered TLS wisdom and got the powerscore bibiles and took about 25 more tests. I did neglect rc a lot and I wish I hadn't because I got minus 7 which really stopped me from getting a 170

I was actually thinking of signing up for a Kaplan prep course. What were you scoring on their practice tests? Did you feel the course helped you any?

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:25 pm

Are you in a major city? getting a full time job at a shitlaw firm (making from 15-20) shouldn't be too hard. I just used craigslist.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”