LOR - LSAC Service vs. My School's Service

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pichu

LOR - LSAC Service vs. My School's Service

Postby pichu » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:06 am

tonight i was in the middle of reading anna ivey's guide to law school admissions and i came across something that scared the s%!$ out of me. she said that law school admissions officers highly prefer if you use the CAS letter of rec service (the official LSAC one). however, i asked one of my professors from a rec during my junior year and i used my school's letter of rec service because i was totally unaware of LSAC's service. now my professor is off in france for the next 6 months (hence no new letter to LSAC) and i'm going to apply to law school this fall.

did anyone here use a non-LSAC letter of rec service? if so, how'd your cycle turn out? or, what's the common knowledge about this?

bhan87

Re: LOR - LSAC Service vs. My School's Service

Postby bhan87 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:10 am

There are some schools that don't accept non-CAS LORs. In fact, schools that accept non-CAS LORs are probably in the minority. Cut your losses and find a new recommender ASAP. As long as they don't badmouth you in the letter, it won't impact your application much

pichu

Postby pichu » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:16 am

bhan87 wrote:There are some schools that don't accept non-CAS LORs. In fact, schools that accept non-CAS LORs are probably in the minority. Cut your losses and find a new recommender ASAP. As long as they don't badmouth you in the letter, it won't impact your application much

Crap

pichu

Postby pichu » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:18 am

Is there a way to submit the letter from my school's letter service to LSAC without having my professor fill out all of the forms? I might be able to get a copy of my school's forms, which he signed...

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:21 am

pichu wrote:Is there a way to submit the letter from my school's letter service to LSAC without having my professor fill out all of the forms? I might be able to get a copy of my school's forms, which he signed...

If your school has a signed copy of the original letter on file, you could request they send it into LSAC with the appropriate form (in essence treating LSAC like any other grad program). Try giving LSAC a call to see if that'll work.

pichu

Postby pichu » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:39 am

bhan87 wrote:
pichu wrote:Is there a way to submit the letter from my school's letter service to LSAC without having my professor fill out all of the forms? I might be able to get a copy of my school's forms, which he signed...

If your school has a signed copy of the original letter on file, you could request they send it into LSAC with the appropriate form (in essence treating LSAC like any other grad program). Try giving LSAC a call to see if that'll work.

yeah i'll give this a try tomorrow. thanks for the advice!

pichu

Postby pichu » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:34 pm

niiiiice!! i just called LSAC and they said they would accept the LOR on file at my school's service.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”