Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:56 pm

Congratulations guys! There was one more held international with a JS1 on the Harvard thread, so that makes at least three today.

I had my JS1 last year. Hopefully they'll make decisions on all of us together after your interviews.

I'm guessing Nulli and Josephus haven't heard anything. It wouldn't surprise me if there was another round later this week though, since she can only do so many interviews at a time.
Last edited by AntipodeanPhil on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk641

Bronze

Post by bk641 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:15 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Congratulations guys! There was one more held international with a JS1 on the Harvard thread, so that makes at least three today.

I had my JS1 last year. Hopefully they'll make decisions on all of us together after your interviews.
...you already got into Y :P just kidding. thanks!

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:30 am

Meh.

bk641

Bronze

Post by bk641 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:58 am

has anyone been able to log into NYU's FAAPS to check scholly info? i don't think we were informed of student IDs and i don't have an ssn. credentials used to login to the ASW did not work.

mjitbswyd

Bronze

Post by mjitbswyd » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:45 pm

bk641 wrote:has anyone been able to log into NYU's FAAPS to check scholly info? i don't think we were informed of student IDs and i don't have an ssn. credentials used to login to the ASW did not work.
Try email the FA office, they are very nice. Also, don't forget to mention that you have a JS1: they will add $75000 to your account.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk641

Bronze

Post by bk641 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:21 pm

haha... js1 =/= acceptance!! also, i've already emailed them, i was just hoping someone know beforehand...

sent you PM btw

madvillain

Bronze

Post by madvillain » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:43 pm

Hello all. I am in awe of all you YHS people, even the ones with a JS1. Have yet to get any love from HYSC or a JS1. But I did receive 75K from NYU yesterday, which I was very glad about. As internationals tho do we have to provide the tax returns and all that stuff? It's all merit-based aid, definitely not need based at all, which I made clear in my initial aid application.

mjitbswyd

Bronze

Post by mjitbswyd » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:19 pm

madvillain wrote:Hello all. I am in awe of all you YHS people, even the ones with a JS1. Have yet to get any love from HYSC or a JS1. But I did receive 75K from NYU yesterday, which I was very glad about. As internationals tho do we have to provide the tax returns and all that stuff? It's all merit-based aid, definitely not need based at all, which I made clear in my initial aid application.
How do you find out about the money? According to what FA office told me, you definetly don't have to. But do ask them!

madvillain

Bronze

Post by madvillain » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:11 pm

I received an email from the financial aid office directing me to their FAAPS website and after I logged in I had access to the PDF document detailing my award.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mjitbswyd

Bronze

Post by mjitbswyd » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:04 pm

madvillain wrote:I received an email from the financial aid office directing me to their FAAPS website and after I logged in I had access to the PDF document detailing my award.
Thank you. If so i guess you definetly don't have to provide anything as they told me you only have to if asked.

bk641

Bronze

Post by bk641 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:12 am

madvillain wrote:I received an email from the financial aid office directing me to their FAAPS website and after I logged in I had access to the PDF document detailing my award.
how did you log in, if i may ask? do you have a ssn? the asw id/pw didn't work.

BKB

New

Post by BKB » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:55 am

bk641 wrote:
how did you log in, if i may ask? do you have a ssn? the asw id/pw didn't work.
You may ask LSAC. They assigned one for you.

madvillain

Bronze

Post by madvillain » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:25 pm

As a Canadian I have a SSN, so I used that. LSAC also had it in my records.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk641

Bronze

Post by bk641 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:46 am

yeah... the number in the "SSN" field that lsac assigned for me didn't work. i emailed the nyu office of admissions on friday after initially emailing the office of financial aid and being told to ask the admissions office... guess i'm waiting until monday (tuesday here, actually) to see what scholarship, if any, i got. also that april 6 deadline is scary considering i'm still waiting on columbia.,..

BKB

New

Post by BKB » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:13 pm

bk641 wrote:yeah... the number in the "SSN" field that lsac assigned for me didn't work. i emailed the nyu office of admissions on friday after initially emailing the office of financial aid and being told to ask the admissions office... guess i'm waiting until monday (tuesday here, actually) to see what scholarship, if any, i got. also that april 6 deadline is scary considering i'm still waiting on columbia.,..
Strange....That worked for me. Anyway, enjoy HLS!

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:29 am

Does debt and the exchange rate factor into anyone else's decision on where they want to go to school? Do you guys plan to go back to your home countries after graduation?

mjitbswyd

Bronze

Post by mjitbswyd » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:02 pm

bk641 wrote:yeah... the number in the "SSN" field that lsac assigned for me didn't work. i emailed the nyu office of admissions on friday after initially emailing the office of financial aid and being told to ask the admissions office... guess i'm waiting until monday (tuesday here, actually) to see what scholarship, if any, i got. also that april 6 deadline is scary considering i'm still waiting on columbia.,..
The 4-digit number on the "SSN" fileld is only the last 4 digit of the SSN. I email nyu and they confirmed that we need the SSN assigned by LSAC to enter their website. I just email LSAC and hopefully they will reply soon.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk641

Bronze

Post by bk641 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:36 pm

mjitbswyd wrote:
The 4-digit number on the "SSN" fileld is only the last 4 digit of the SSN. I email nyu and they confirmed that we need the SSN assigned by LSAC to enter their website. I just email LSAC and hopefully they will reply soon.
thanks, i actually got an email back from nyu saying they were able to log in with my credentials, now it makes sense that they were able to (if they do indeed know the full 9 digits of my "SSN")

muddup

New

Post by muddup » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:34 pm

Hey, does anyone here know how the student VISA work permit works? Like are we allowed to work as summer associates during 1L or 2L summers with it? (If not that seems to be a huge problem) Or are you guys/gals coming on student VISA's at all?

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:56 pm

muddup wrote:Hey, does anyone here know how the student VISA work permit works? Like are we allowed to work as summer associates during 1L or 2L summers with it? (If not that seems to be a huge problem) Or are you guys/gals coming on student VISA's at all?
In theory, you shouldn't have any problems. If you are on an F-1 student visa, your school should be able to authorize you to work during summer through a program called "Curriculum Practical Training" (CPT). There are some complications - you might have to sign up to take a special CPT course the next semester, for example - but usually nothing serious.

Here is Harvard's CPT application form, as an example:

http://www.law.harvard.edu/academics/wr ... ptform.pdf

And a helpful handout produced by Barry Law describing the system in more detail:

http://www.barry.edu/includes/docs/inte ... 0%20cb.pdf

That said, some schools make this more of a hassle than others, and I have heard rumors that some schools limit or restrict students' participation, so check with whatever schools you are considering before sending in a deposit. If the law school isn't very helpful, try contacting the international students' office (which goes by different names at different schools).

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:18 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
muddup wrote:Hey, does anyone here know how the student VISA work permit works? Like are we allowed to work as summer associates during 1L or 2L summers with it? (If not that seems to be a huge problem) Or are you guys/gals coming on student VISA's at all?
In theory, you shouldn't have any problems. If you are on an F-1 student visa, your school should be able to authorize you to work during summer through a program called "Curriculum Practical Training" (CPT). There are some complications - you might have to sign up to take a special CPT course the next semester, for example - but usually nothing serious.

Here is Harvard's CPT application form, as an example:

http://www.law.harvard.edu/academics/wr ... ptform.pdf

And a helpful handout produced by Barry Law describing the system in more detail:

http://www.barry.edu/includes/docs/inte ... 0%20cb.pdf

That said, some schools make this more of a hassle than others, and I have heard rumors that some schools limit or restrict students' participation, so check with whatever schools you are considering before sending in a deposit. If the law school isn't very helpful, try contacting the international students' office (which goes by different names at different schools).
Honestly you are SUCH a huge help! Just wanted to say a huge thank you for all the info you have shared with us :)

Do you know if its harder for students to get jobs in the US after graduation if you're not American? I'm hearing that it makes sense that if two students are competing for a job at a firm and its easier for a firm to not have to go through the tedious process of getting immigration papers they will pick the US student over the Non-US? Do you think this is a concern we should take into consideration?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:54 am

fingerscrossedxx wrote:Do you know if its harder for students to get jobs in the US after graduation if you're not American? I'm hearing that it makes sense that if two students are competing for a job at a firm and its easier for a firm to not have to go through the tedious process of getting immigration papers they will pick the US student over the Non-US? Do you think this is a concern we should take into consideration?
I know no more than you on that topic, alas. I only know the stuff about CPT authorization because I was on an F-1 visa for seven years, with a lot of F-1 friends.

If you read the thread by the "midlaw partner" in the legal employment forum, I believe he said that the need for employment authorization counted against job candidates at his firm. I find it hard to believe employment authorization would be a significant issue at the big law level, though, since the fee is so small in relation to big law salaries and the paperwork is hardly onerous. Of course, that's pure speculation on my part :roll: .

canon1845

New

Post by canon1845 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:52 am

Hey boys and girls.

Im a prospective law school applicant from New Zealand and i just wanted to ask a question (especially to those from Aus/Nz).

As you may or may not know, undergraduate degree (bachelors) in NZ and AUS are 3 year degrees instead of 4 years of America and other countries.

I was wandering whether it is okay for me to apply to law school in America after graduating from a 3 year degree or whether i need to complete 4 years of undergraduate work to be eligible to apply for law school in America.

Thanks guys

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:53 am

canon1845 wrote:Hey boys and girls.

Im a prospective law school applicant from New Zealand and i just wanted to ask a question (especially to those from Aus/Nz).

As you may or may not know, undergraduate degree (bachelors) in NZ and AUS are 3 year degrees instead of 4 years of America and other countries.

I was wandering whether it is okay for me to apply to law school in America after graduating from a 3 year degree or whether i need to complete 4 years of undergraduate work to be eligible to apply for law school in America.

Thanks guys
It shouldn't be a problem. There are lots of applicants from Commonwealth countries where 3 year degrees are standard. Just get your transcripts to CAS and let them work it out.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:19 am

danitt wrote:
canon1845 wrote:As you may or may not know, undergraduate degree (bachelors) in NZ and AUS are 3 year degrees instead of 4 years of America and other countries.

It shouldn't be a problem. There are lots of applicants from Commonwealth countries where 3 year degrees are standard. Just get your transcripts to CAS and let them work it out.
On the previous page junaman reported that NYU wouldn't accept his application because he had a three year degree - from an Australian university, I think. That's the only problem I remember, and he didn't mention any trouble applying to other schools.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”