Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:56 pm

Congratulations guys! There was one more held international with a JS1 on the Harvard thread, so that makes at least three today.

I had my JS1 last year. Hopefully they'll make decisions on all of us together after your interviews.

I'm guessing Nulli and Josephus haven't heard anything. It wouldn't surprise me if there was another round later this week though, since she can only do so many interviews at a time.
Last edited by AntipodeanPhil on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk641
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:22 am

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby bk641 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:15 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Congratulations guys! There was one more held international with a JS1 on the Harvard thread, so that makes at least three today.

I had my JS1 last year. Hopefully they'll make decisions on all of us together after your interviews.


...you already got into Y :P just kidding. thanks!

User avatar
Nulli Secundus
Posts: 2625
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:19 am

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby Nulli Secundus » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:30 am

Meh.

User avatar
bk641
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:22 am

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby bk641 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:58 am

has anyone been able to log into NYU's FAAPS to check scholly info? i don't think we were informed of student IDs and i don't have an ssn. credentials used to login to the ASW did not work.

User avatar
mjitbswyd
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby mjitbswyd » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:45 pm

bk641 wrote:has anyone been able to log into NYU's FAAPS to check scholly info? i don't think we were informed of student IDs and i don't have an ssn. credentials used to login to the ASW did not work.

Try email the FA office, they are very nice. Also, don't forget to mention that you have a JS1: they will add $75000 to your account.

User avatar
bk641
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:22 am

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby bk641 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:21 pm

haha... js1 =/= acceptance!! also, i've already emailed them, i was just hoping someone know beforehand...

sent you PM btw

madvillain
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:39 am

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby madvillain » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:43 pm

Hello all. I am in awe of all you YHS people, even the ones with a JS1. Have yet to get any love from HYSC or a JS1. But I did receive 75K from NYU yesterday, which I was very glad about. As internationals tho do we have to provide the tax returns and all that stuff? It's all merit-based aid, definitely not need based at all, which I made clear in my initial aid application.

User avatar
mjitbswyd
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby mjitbswyd » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:19 pm

madvillain wrote:Hello all. I am in awe of all you YHS people, even the ones with a JS1. Have yet to get any love from HYSC or a JS1. But I did receive 75K from NYU yesterday, which I was very glad about. As internationals tho do we have to provide the tax returns and all that stuff? It's all merit-based aid, definitely not need based at all, which I made clear in my initial aid application.


How do you find out about the money? According to what FA office told me, you definetly don't have to. But do ask them!

madvillain
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:39 am

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby madvillain » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:11 pm

I received an email from the financial aid office directing me to their FAAPS website and after I logged in I had access to the PDF document detailing my award.

User avatar
mjitbswyd
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby mjitbswyd » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:04 pm

madvillain wrote:I received an email from the financial aid office directing me to their FAAPS website and after I logged in I had access to the PDF document detailing my award.

Thank you. If so i guess you definetly don't have to provide anything as they told me you only have to if asked.

User avatar
bk641
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:22 am

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby bk641 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:12 am

madvillain wrote:I received an email from the financial aid office directing me to their FAAPS website and after I logged in I had access to the PDF document detailing my award.


how did you log in, if i may ask? do you have a ssn? the asw id/pw didn't work.

BKB
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:15 am

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby BKB » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:55 am

bk641 wrote:
madvillain wrote:I received an email from the financial aid office directing me to their FAAPS website and after I logged in I had access to the PDF document detailing my award.


how did you log in, if i may ask? do you have a ssn? the asw id/pw didn't work.

You may ask LSAC. They assigned one for you.

madvillain
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:39 am

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby madvillain » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:25 pm

As a Canadian I have a SSN, so I used that. LSAC also had it in my records.

User avatar
bk641
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:22 am

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby bk641 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:46 am

yeah... the number in the "SSN" field that lsac assigned for me didn't work. i emailed the nyu office of admissions on friday after initially emailing the office of financial aid and being told to ask the admissions office... guess i'm waiting until monday (tuesday here, actually) to see what scholarship, if any, i got. also that april 6 deadline is scary considering i'm still waiting on columbia.,..

BKB
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:15 am

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby BKB » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:13 pm

bk641 wrote:yeah... the number in the "SSN" field that lsac assigned for me didn't work. i emailed the nyu office of admissions on friday after initially emailing the office of financial aid and being told to ask the admissions office... guess i'm waiting until monday (tuesday here, actually) to see what scholarship, if any, i got. also that april 6 deadline is scary considering i'm still waiting on columbia.,..

Strange....That worked for me. Anyway, enjoy HLS!

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby danitt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:29 am

Does debt and the exchange rate factor into anyone else's decision on where they want to go to school? Do you guys plan to go back to your home countries after graduation?

User avatar
mjitbswyd
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby mjitbswyd » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:02 pm

bk641 wrote:yeah... the number in the "SSN" field that lsac assigned for me didn't work. i emailed the nyu office of admissions on friday after initially emailing the office of financial aid and being told to ask the admissions office... guess i'm waiting until monday (tuesday here, actually) to see what scholarship, if any, i got. also that april 6 deadline is scary considering i'm still waiting on columbia.,..

The 4-digit number on the "SSN" fileld is only the last 4 digit of the SSN. I email nyu and they confirmed that we need the SSN assigned by LSAC to enter their website. I just email LSAC and hopefully they will reply soon.

User avatar
bk641
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:22 am

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby bk641 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:36 pm

mjitbswyd wrote:
bk641 wrote:yeah... the number in the "SSN" field that lsac assigned for me didn't work. i emailed the nyu office of admissions on friday after initially emailing the office of financial aid and being told to ask the admissions office... guess i'm waiting until monday (tuesday here, actually) to see what scholarship, if any, i got. also that april 6 deadline is scary considering i'm still waiting on columbia.,..

The 4-digit number on the "SSN" fileld is only the last 4 digit of the SSN. I email nyu and they confirmed that we need the SSN assigned by LSAC to enter their website. I just email LSAC and hopefully they will reply soon.


thanks, i actually got an email back from nyu saying they were able to log in with my credentials, now it makes sense that they were able to (if they do indeed know the full 9 digits of my "SSN")

muddup
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:23 am

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby muddup » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:34 pm

Hey, does anyone here know how the student VISA work permit works? Like are we allowed to work as summer associates during 1L or 2L summers with it? (If not that seems to be a huge problem) Or are you guys/gals coming on student VISA's at all?

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:56 pm

muddup wrote:Hey, does anyone here know how the student VISA work permit works? Like are we allowed to work as summer associates during 1L or 2L summers with it? (If not that seems to be a huge problem) Or are you guys/gals coming on student VISA's at all?

In theory, you shouldn't have any problems. If you are on an F-1 student visa, your school should be able to authorize you to work during summer through a program called "Curriculum Practical Training" (CPT). There are some complications - you might have to sign up to take a special CPT course the next semester, for example - but usually nothing serious.

Here is Harvard's CPT application form, as an example:

http://www.law.harvard.edu/academics/wr ... ptform.pdf

And a helpful handout produced by Barry Law describing the system in more detail:

http://www.barry.edu/includes/docs/inte ... 0%20cb.pdf

That said, some schools make this more of a hassle than others, and I have heard rumors that some schools limit or restrict students' participation, so check with whatever schools you are considering before sending in a deposit. If the law school isn't very helpful, try contacting the international students' office (which goes by different names at different schools).

User avatar
fingerscrossedxx
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:18 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
muddup wrote:Hey, does anyone here know how the student VISA work permit works? Like are we allowed to work as summer associates during 1L or 2L summers with it? (If not that seems to be a huge problem) Or are you guys/gals coming on student VISA's at all?

In theory, you shouldn't have any problems. If you are on an F-1 student visa, your school should be able to authorize you to work during summer through a program called "Curriculum Practical Training" (CPT). There are some complications - you might have to sign up to take a special CPT course the next semester, for example - but usually nothing serious.

Here is Harvard's CPT application form, as an example:

http://www.law.harvard.edu/academics/wr ... ptform.pdf

And a helpful handout produced by Barry Law describing the system in more detail:

http://www.barry.edu/includes/docs/inte ... 0%20cb.pdf

That said, some schools make this more of a hassle than others, and I have heard rumors that some schools limit or restrict students' participation, so check with whatever schools you are considering before sending in a deposit. If the law school isn't very helpful, try contacting the international students' office (which goes by different names at different schools).


Honestly you are SUCH a huge help! Just wanted to say a huge thank you for all the info you have shared with us :)

Do you know if its harder for students to get jobs in the US after graduation if you're not American? I'm hearing that it makes sense that if two students are competing for a job at a firm and its easier for a firm to not have to go through the tedious process of getting immigration papers they will pick the US student over the Non-US? Do you think this is a concern we should take into consideration?

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:54 am

fingerscrossedxx wrote:Do you know if its harder for students to get jobs in the US after graduation if you're not American? I'm hearing that it makes sense that if two students are competing for a job at a firm and its easier for a firm to not have to go through the tedious process of getting immigration papers they will pick the US student over the Non-US? Do you think this is a concern we should take into consideration?

I know no more than you on that topic, alas. I only know the stuff about CPT authorization because I was on an F-1 visa for seven years, with a lot of F-1 friends.

If you read the thread by the "midlaw partner" in the legal employment forum, I believe he said that the need for employment authorization counted against job candidates at his firm. I find it hard to believe employment authorization would be a significant issue at the big law level, though, since the fee is so small in relation to big law salaries and the paperwork is hardly onerous. Of course, that's pure speculation on my part :roll: .

canon1845
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:34 am

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby canon1845 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:52 am

Hey boys and girls.

Im a prospective law school applicant from New Zealand and i just wanted to ask a question (especially to those from Aus/Nz).

As you may or may not know, undergraduate degree (bachelors) in NZ and AUS are 3 year degrees instead of 4 years of America and other countries.

I was wandering whether it is okay for me to apply to law school in America after graduating from a 3 year degree or whether i need to complete 4 years of undergraduate work to be eligible to apply for law school in America.

Thanks guys

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby danitt » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:53 am

canon1845 wrote:Hey boys and girls.

Im a prospective law school applicant from New Zealand and i just wanted to ask a question (especially to those from Aus/Nz).

As you may or may not know, undergraduate degree (bachelors) in NZ and AUS are 3 year degrees instead of 4 years of America and other countries.

I was wandering whether it is okay for me to apply to law school in America after graduating from a 3 year degree or whether i need to complete 4 years of undergraduate work to be eligible to apply for law school in America.

Thanks guys

It shouldn't be a problem. There are lots of applicants from Commonwealth countries where 3 year degrees are standard. Just get your transcripts to CAS and let them work it out.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:19 am

danitt wrote:
canon1845 wrote:As you may or may not know, undergraduate degree (bachelors) in NZ and AUS are 3 year degrees instead of 4 years of America and other countries.

I was wandering whether it is okay for me to apply to law school in America after graduating from a 3 year degree or whether i need to complete 4 years of undergraduate work to be eligible to apply for law school in America.

It shouldn't be a problem. There are lots of applicants from Commonwealth countries where 3 year degrees are standard. Just get your transcripts to CAS and let them work it out.

On the previous page junaman reported that NYU wouldn't accept his application because he had a three year degree - from an Australian university, I think. That's the only problem I remember, and he didn't mention any trouble applying to other schools.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests