Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:12 am

BKB wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote: The website trick people are talking about on the Columbia thread works for me, but I'm going to be sceptical until I see the vomit in my mailbox.

If Columbia follows its standard practice, though, almost everyone on this thread with a score over 171 should be in - and some below that.
Meh, wish Columbia had some loan options that did not need US citizen cosigners or scholarships for internationals :(
THIS THIS THIS THIS. I got in last year and had to withdraw because I had no us-cosigner. Now I'm applying again but really, not sure what the difference is. Columbia is awesome but for this.
This. BTW, are there any schools other than HYS that offer institutional loans?
Is it for sure that Stanford also does institutional loans? I know Harvard and Yale specifically say they do but I have yet to find any info about them from Stanford.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:44 am

Someone I know asked: Stanford doesn't give institutional loans.

rotaxkarter

Bronze

Post by rotaxkarter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:49 pm

BKB wrote:Anyone got CLS?
I received an admit email yesterday from CLS. Submitted 10/13.

bk641

Bronze

Post by bk641 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:57 pm

congratulations to both of you who got admit emails.

also, i sincerely hope they're sending emails in batches.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:38 pm

Finally got my VCE! I'm a US Resident, so no email for me.

I'm really surprised there haven't been more CLS emails reported here. Still, apparently Columbia will continue to admit some applicants - even early applicants - until at least March, so there's plenty of time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk641

Bronze

Post by bk641 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:37 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Finally got my VCE! I'm a US Resident, so no email for me.

I'm really surprised there haven't been more CLS emails reported here. Still, apparently Columbia will continue to admit some applicants - even early applicants - until at least March, so there's plenty of time.
congrats phil! you must be relieved you've gotten C wrapped up.

curiouscat

Bronze

Post by curiouscat » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:55 pm

Congrats Phil and rotaxkarter! I got an email on Wednesday as well, and there were a few other international applicants who have posted acceptances in the CLS thread.

ieyeispy

New

Post by ieyeispy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:51 pm

Is any one applying for the JDAS program @ Arizona http://www.law.arizona.edu/jdastracks/default.cfm? What are your thoughts on it?

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:26 am

In case anyone is interested, I just got the Chicago acceptance material, which includes information on all of their current students. I thought I would collate the information on their foreign student population, since I don't think it's available on the website.

Total international students (JD program only): 15

Class of 2012: 3; Class of 2013: 5; Class of 2014: 7

US educated: 10

From: Canada (2), Hong Kong (2), South Korea, Mexico, China, Romania, Australia, Argentina

Foreign educated: 5

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

poultry

Bronze

Post by poultry » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:25 pm

I am exploring the financial aid opportunities at NYU's ASW. They linked me to Need Access and it seems to be a sophisticated website which requires a lot of personal financial information. I am just curious, as an international student, is the webiste even relevant to me? Are they only granting money to U.S. citizens? I know that the top 3 will provide need-based money to all applicants. Do they require you to fill out those information from the same website "needaccess" ? Have you guys used this website? Thank you!

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:11 pm

poultry wrote:I am exploring the financial aid opportunities at NYU's ASW. They linked me to Need Access and it seems to be a sophisticated website which requires a lot of personal financial information. I am just curious, as an international student, is the webiste even relevant to me? Are they only granting money to U.S. citizens? I know that the top 3 will provide need-based money to all applicants. Do they require you to fill out those information from the same website "needaccess" ? Have you guys used this website? Thank you!
I haven't used it, because the only schools that have accepted me so far and provide need-based money require students to provide parental income through Need Access - my parents make a good amount of money, even in US$ (although they haven't supported me financially since I was 21).

If your parents aren't wealthy, or NYU doesn't require parental information, you might as well try it. I don't know of any cases of foreign students getting need-based money at CCN, but a lot of people don't talk about that sort of thing. Besides money, I believe CC also provide limited private loans that way - that might be helpful.

I think all of the T6 use the Need Access website - they're all included under the list of 'Participating Schools.'

poultry

Bronze

Post by poultry » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:30 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
poultry wrote:I am exploring the financial aid opportunities at NYU's ASW. They linked me to Need Access and it seems to be a sophisticated website which requires a lot of personal financial information. I am just curious, as an international student, is the webiste even relevant to me? Are they only granting money to U.S. citizens? I know that the top 3 will provide need-based money to all applicants. Do they require you to fill out those information from the same website "needaccess" ? Have you guys used this website? Thank you!
I haven't used it, because the only schools that have accepted me so far and provide need-based money require students to provide parental income through Need Access - my parents make a good amount of money, even in US$ (although they haven't supported me financially since I was 21).

If your parents aren't wealthy, or NYU doesn't require parental information, you might as well try it. I don't know of any cases of foreign students getting need-based money at CCN, but a lot of people don't talk about that sort of thing. Besides money, I believe CC also provide limited private loans that way - that might be helpful.

I think all of the T6 use the Need Access website - they're all included under the list of 'Participating Schools.'
Very helpful! Thank you AntipodeanPhil!

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:34 am

soj wrote:Someone I know asked: Stanford doesn't give institutional loans.
Thanks for this Soj! Good thing I heard this now considering I just got my ding from stanford. Stings less knowing I wasn't guaranteed a loan anyway :p

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lambda

New

Post by Lambda » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:23 am

Are the only two schools that offer institutional loans YLS and HLS? If so, for an international student that can't afford to pay, are the only options
a). Get into either YLS or HLS
b). Try to get a full ride at a lower ranked school
?

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:17 am

Lambda wrote:Are the only two schools that offer institutional loans YLS and HLS? If so, for an international student that can't afford to pay, are the only options
?
This is exactly it. The only thing is a full ride usually won't cover living expenses (which depending on the city may run into the 25,000's) so really the best option is, Get into either YLS or HLS.

Or c) make friends with a US citizen who can co-sign for you on a ridiculously high interest private loan.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:26 am

Lambda wrote:Are the only two schools that offer institutional loans YLS and HLS? If so, for an international student that can't afford to pay, are the only options
?
Also, even if you get a free-ride, you need some way to convince the US government that you can afford the living costs to get a student visa.

For the sake of completeness, there are apparently other options, but they are only available for some:
c) Get private loans by living in the US long enough to build up a credit history.
d) Persuade a US citizen or permanent resident to co-sign on private loans.
e) Get your home country to pay or loan you the money. Only available from some countries, of course.

Lambda

New

Post by Lambda » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:13 pm

Thanks for the info, guys. I've been somewhat aware of this for a long time, but couldn't convince myself to believe that it really was that impossibly hard.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

madvillain

Bronze

Post by madvillain » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:25 am

Checking in again after a long absence. NYU acceptance via phone call earlier in the week, nothing from CLS. Rejected by Yale, held by Harvard, WL'd by Chicago. With a 179, I'm disappointed but slowly regaining hope after finally going T6 secure. I will add that I am very fortunate to have supportive and, to be blunt, wealthy parents who can foot the bill so that probably makes up for the disappointment. I wish the best of luck to all of you, especially for those of you who require merit aid. Shout out to my fellow Canadians!

BKB

New

Post by BKB » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:23 pm

madvillain wrote:Checking in again after a long absence. NYU acceptance via phone call earlier in the week, nothing from CLS. Rejected by Yale, held by Harvard, WL'd by Chicago. With a 179, I'm disappointed but slowly regaining hope after finally going T6 secure. I will add that I am very fortunate to have supportive and, to be blunt, wealthy parents who can foot the bill so that probably makes up for the disappointment. I wish the best of luck to all of you, especially for those of you who require merit aid. Shout out to my fellow Canadians!
That's really disappointing given your numbers.
BTW, we have exactly the same outcome so far. Hope Harvard will eventually show some love to us internationals!

Wicem

New

Post by Wicem » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:44 am

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask some questions since I am in a special situation ;

I didn't take the LSAT yet but I will take it in the coming months...

I am a Belgian man from Tunisian parents and I am already a lawyer in my country but I don t want to do a LLM degree.

In Belgium we have no GPA but I was a good student( not the best).

my strengths:

1) I speak 6 languages
2) I have worked during two years as a pro-bono lawyer ( before I was working for a prominent law firm from which I get fired for taking a pro bono case)
3) I took part in the Tunisian revolution as a freedom fighter and I was a political candidate to the first democratic elections ( unique life story they said...)
4) I am a professional american football player in Belgium.
5) I created two non profit organizations (one for handicapped people and one for poor people who can not afford a lawyer).
6) I created with an old harvard alumni, the first alumni association of Harvard scientist in my country ( I acted as financial and legal counsel).

weaknesses:

1) not the best student of my class but it was far fetched because my university made a mistake by mixing all student's rankings
2) my English is not perfect as you noticed...
3) I am already a lawyer
4) my reason for wanting a JD can seem superficial ( I want to get a JD to have some experience in the US and after would like to work abroad to get some international experience before to open my own law firm)

I would like to apply for the JD/MBA at Harvard, Stanford or Yale. most well known schools for foreigners...

So could someone give me some advice ????

Would be a Good LSAT and GMAT score sufficient ?

I think I can write a great PS but for the rest, I don t know ???

Thank you for you reply.

JosephusMyer

New

Post by JosephusMyer » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:18 am

Wicem wrote:Hi everyone,

I am a Belgian man from Tunisian parents and I am already a lawyer in my country but I don t want to do a LLM degree.

my strengths:

1) I speak 6 languages
2) I have worked during two years as a pro-bono lawyer ( before I was working for a prominent law firm from which I get fired for taking a pro bono case)
3) I took part in the Tunisian revolution as a freedom fighter and I was a political candidate to the first democratic elections ( unique life story they said...)
5) I created two non profit organizations (one for handicapped people and one for poor people who can not afford a lawyer).
6) I created with an old harvard alumni, the first alumni association of Harvard scientist in my country ( I acted as financial and legal counsel).

weaknesses:

1) not the best student of my class but it was far fetched because my university made a mistake by mixing all student's rankings
3) I am already a lawyer
4) my reason for wanting a JD can seem superficial ( I want to get a JD to have some experience in the US and after would like to work abroad to get some international experience before to open my own law firm)

I would like to apply for the JD/MBA at Harvard, Stanford or Yale. most well known schools for foreigners...

Thank you for you reply.
For most of those schools, it is a bit of a lottery to get in even with an amazing life story like yours. I'd recommend working on your English a little bit more so you can reach near-perfection - after all, if you got in, you'd have to write papers in English. I think you might need to take TOEFL - but check the law schools' websites for exact requirements.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Wicem

New

Post by Wicem » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:22 am

JosephusMyer wrote:
Wicem wrote:Hi everyone,

my strengths:

1) I speak 6 languages

weaknesses:

3) I am already a lawyer

Thank you for you reply.
For most of those schools, it is a bit of a lottery to get in even with an amazing life story like yours. I'd recommend working on your English a little bit more so you can reach near-perfection - after all, if you got in, you'd have to write papers in English. I think you might need to take TOEFL - but check the law schools' websites for exact requirements.

TOEFL is not required for the JD program but thank you for your advice, I appreciate. I read everything about JD applicants but US applicants and there is nothing about international JD students excepted this thread...

Unagi

Bronze

Post by Unagi » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:50 am

Wicem wrote: TOEFL is not required for the JD program but thank you for your advice, I appreciate. I read everything about JD applicants but US applicants and there is nothing about international JD students excepted this thread...
This is not true, there are some schools that require TOEFL for JD students. And even the schools that don't require receive your score - if it is good, better for you.
By the way, I am also a lawyer at another country with 2 years of post grad WE and 5 languages, somewhat similar to you. Feel free to PM if you want!

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:48 pm

Wicem wrote:I would like to apply for the JD/MBA at Harvard, Stanford or Yale. most well known schools for foreigners...

Thank you for you reply.
We only really know about law schools here.

The three law schools you mention are extremely selective and unpredictable.

Your background sounds interesting and unique, but your LSAT score will be more important. The only international student on this thread who has bee accepted to one of those schools so far this year had an LSAT score of 179. The second most important factor is LSAC's evaluation of your university transcript. LSAC evaluates all international transcripts as either "superior," "above average," "average," or "below average." It would be almost impossible to get in to the schools you mention without a "superior" evaluation.

It is hard to know how your background would affect your application. Almost all of us here are either from Asian countries (especially Korea and China) or from Commonwealth countries (Canada, Britain, Australia), with much more common and mundane backgrounds. Generally, most law schools (especially the ones you mention) seem to have a slight preference against international students, but perhaps they would look a little more favorably on you.

Wicem

New

Post by Wicem » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:45 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
Wicem wrote:I would like to apply for the JD/MBA at Harvard, Stanford or Yale. most well known schools for foreigners...

Thank you for you reply.
We only really know about law schools here.

The three law schools you mention are extremely selective and unpredictable.

Your background sounds interesting and unique, but your LSAT score will be more important. The only international student on this thread who has bee accepted to one of those schools so far this year had an LSAT score of 179. The second most important factor is LSAC's evaluation of your university transcript. LSAC evaluates all international transcripts as either "superior," "above average," "average," or "below average." It would be almost impossible to get in to the schools you mention without a "superior" evaluation.

It is hard to know how your background would affect your application. Almost all of us here are either from Asian countries (especially Korea and China) or from Commonwealth countries (Canada, Britain, Australia), with much more common and mundane backgrounds. Generally, most law schools (especially the ones you mention) seem to have a slight preference against international students, but perhaps they would look a little more favorably on you.
That's what I ve learned from this Thread. But there is funny to see that's going more competitive for non US citizens...And what about the story of diversity and blabla?

but anyway thank you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”