Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Re: Official Foreign Applicants Thread 2011-2012

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:28 pm

bk641 wrote:phil, in the very unlikely event that harvard doesn't give you another call, and stanford and yale don't take you, i sincerely hope i can see you at columbia. well, an acceptance to cls would make me very happy, anyway.
I would be happy with that, and I think it's highly likely that two or three of us from this thread will end up at Columbia.

I've had a soft spot for the place since my first visit to NYC. It really is cool that Columbia has a proper university campus on Manhattan - with grass, open space, neoclassical architecture, et cetera. In contrast, I wandered through the heart of NYU's campus without knowing I was there. I guess Washington Square is nice, but my dominant memories are the large number of bums and one of the most disgusting public bathrooms I've seen. That said, the photos of the law buildings look nice.

BKB

New

Post by BKB » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:31 pm

I have spent some months in NYU law, and life there was good. A morning walk in washington square park was refreshing and enjoyable. Numerous bars would offer colorful nights (though I'm not into it). And the transportation is convenient.
NYU Law is super friendly to international students (as you may know, there are over 400 international LLMs per year).
The Columbia campus is great. However, the law school building is located outside the campus. And I think the neighbourhood of NYU is somehow safer (Greenwich village compared to Harlem).

bk641

Bronze

Post by bk641 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:50 am

BKB wrote: NYU Law is super friendly to international students (as you may know, there are over 400 international LLMs per year).
columbia has the highest international JD student ratio in the T14, actually...
BKB wrote:The Columbia campus is great. However, the law school building is located outside the campus.
the east campus (which the law school is on) is right across the street from the main campus and the law school building is connected to a building on the main campus... hardly merits saying "outside"

BKB

New

Post by BKB » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:15 am

bk641 wrote:
BKB wrote: NYU Law is super friendly to international students (as you may know, there are over 400 international LLMs per year).

I'm aware of that. It seems to me that NYU is harsh towards international JD applicants, and I met very few international JD students there. (which may also be due to self-selection)
But still, NYU has the largest international student body. Whereever you are from, you probably can find several LLMs from your country.

BKB

New

Post by BKB » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:20 am

bk641 wrote:
I'm aware of that. It seems to me that NYU is harsh towards international JD applicants, and I met very few international JD students there. (which may also be due to self-selection)
But still, NYU has the largest international student body. Whereever you are from, you probably can find several LLMs from your country.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IamIn

Bronze

Post by IamIn » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:44 pm

in at GULC (ED)! :)

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:35 pm

IamIn wrote:in at GULC (ED)! :)
Congratulations! I guess that means you're going there, since I believe GULCs ED is binding.

I visited Georgetown a few weeks ago - the campus is amazing. It's quite literally three blocks north of the Capitol Building, and DC is a great city.

IamIn

Bronze

Post by IamIn » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:37 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
IamIn wrote:in at GULC (ED)! :)
Congratulations! I guess that means you're going there, since I believe GULCs ED is binding.

I visited Georgetown a few weeks ago - the campus is amazing. It's quite literally three blocks north of the Capitol Building, and DC is a great city.
Thank you! (also thanks for your help and advice)

Yes, it is binding. I know that I could've had other options but I live in DC and want to stay in DC. And it's not that I could've got money from them anyway..

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:58 am

Any news?

Yale started admitting people today (so keep your phone handy, dean :wink:); Penn, NYU, Columbia, and Northwestern all started letting in ED applicants this week.

I'm in at Virginia, and the Michigan ASW states I have a half-tuition scholarship.

Someone else on this thread must have gotten in somewhere this week!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BKB

New

Post by BKB » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:12 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Any news?

Yale started admitting people today (so keep your phone handy, dean :wink:); Penn, NYU, Columbia, and Northwestern all started letting in ED applicants this week.

I'm in at Virginia, and the Michigan ASW states I have a half-tuition scholarship.

Congrats!
No ad, no rej, no wl for me. Sadly quiet.

mjitbswyd

Bronze

Post by mjitbswyd » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:14 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Any news?

I'm sure you will get KB2. And since Stanford loves phds I think you have a very good chance there, too.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:37 am

Thanks guys!
mjitbswyd wrote:I'm sure you will get KB2. And since Stanford loves phds I think you have a very good chance there, too.
I didn't apply to Stanford - my wife has ruled out the West Coast.

I don't know what to think about my KB2 chances anymore. I was recently PMed by another international who is in the same situation as me (early KB1, no KB2), so I wonder if Harvard is waiting to make decisions about internationals (except dean, of course). I'm hopeful they'll use us to preserve their 173 LSAT median later in the cycle, when it becomes clear there are fewer 173+ US applicants.
BKB wrote:No ad, no rej, no wl for me. Sadly quiet.
That's both odd and dissapointing. Still, with your numbers and background it is only a matter of time.

mjitbswyd

Bronze

Post by mjitbswyd » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:57 am

BKB, I'm quite sure you will hear good news from NYU and columbia (at the very least) in the coming weeks. Don't be discouraged.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BKB

New

Post by BKB » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:25 pm

mjitbswyd wrote:BKB, I'm quite sure you will hear good news from NYU and columbia (at the very least) in the coming weeks. Don't be discouraged.
Thanks. Any news for you?

BKB

New

Post by BKB » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:29 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Thanks guys!
mjitbswyd wrote:I'm sure you will get KB2. And since Stanford loves phds I think you have a very good chance there, too.
I didn't apply to Stanford - my wife has ruled out the West Coast.

I don't know what to think about my KB2 chances anymore. I was recently PMed by another international who is in the same situation as me (early KB1, no KB2), so I wonder if Harvard is waiting to make decisions about internationals (except dean, of course). I'm hopeful they'll use us to preserve their 173 LSAT median later in the cycle, when it becomes clear there are fewer 173+ US applicants.
BKB wrote:No ad, no rej, no wl for me. Sadly quiet.
That's both odd and dissapointing. Still, with your numbers and background it is only a matter of time.
So you should be safe. Harvard takes more than 30 international students every year, and I doubt if there is anyone with a stronger background than you.
Hope they'll also take a look at me to keep their median :D

mjitbswyd

Bronze

Post by mjitbswyd » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:49 pm

BKB wrote:
mjitbswyd wrote:BKB, I'm quite sure you will hear good news from NYU and columbia (at the very least) in the coming weeks. Don't be discouraged.
No. I think it is reasonable for them to push back decisions for international students since the pool is much smaller and unpredictable, so I won't be too worried until spring festival.

BKB

New

Post by BKB » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:22 pm

mjitbswyd wrote:
BKB wrote:
No. I think it is reasonable for them to push back decisions for international students since the pool is much smaller and unpredictable, so I won't be too worried until spring festival.
I believe you'll make it!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BKB

New

Post by BKB » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:24 pm

Logged in NYU's ASW. Anyone else here?

mjitbswyd

Bronze

Post by mjitbswyd » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:09 pm

BKB wrote:Logged in NYU's ASW. Anyone else here?
Me too.

bk641

Bronze

Post by bk641 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:54 pm

also got into nyu. come on columbia!

edit: also in at gtown and cornell, but they were in oct and nov respectively.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:44 pm

Wow - congratulations all of you!

Three people is a high proportion of the regular posters here. Perhaps NYU will surpass Columbia as the most likely destination for high LSAT internationals this year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:46 pm

Oh I got in too...so 4 :P

Also, KB1 TOMORROW MORNING AHH!!!!!

bk641

Bronze

Post by bk641 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:31 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Wow - congratulations all of you!

Three people is a high proportion of the regular posters here. Perhaps NYU will surpass Columbia as the most likely destination for high LSAT internationals this year.
I WANT COLUMBIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

what to do until mid january....

curious - i'm sure you'll do fine. i've kinda given up hoping for a kb1 - if it comes, it will come. if not then meh...

mjitbswyd

Bronze

Post by mjitbswyd » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:29 am

bk641 wrote:I WANT COLUMBIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

what to do until mid january....
Well let me tell you my story so that you won't feel so bad about the 1 month wait.. I have a llm degree so columbia does not allow me to apply for regular decision (they emailed me after I sent the application), and I have to apply as a transfer student so I won't hear from them until early July (same is true for Chicago)..

laura2011

New

Post by laura2011 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:23 pm

hi guys!

i'm an international student (german citizen, currently doing undergrad in the UK) and will apply in the next cycle. so i'm starting prep with LSAT and stuff like that now. i was wondering if any of you used consultants for your application? when i applied to the UK, i sent a pretty decent application by german standards - but when i got here, i realized that UK admissions boards value different aspects of an application than german ones so my application was rather poor. i wouldn't want to make the same mistake again so i'm wondering if consultants are worth the massive amounts of money that they charge ...

any other tips on admissions would be very welcome as well! also, anyone who has any experience with dual degrees (i'm thinking JD/MSFS, JD/MA international relations or JD/PhD International Relations), please comment!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”