"Why X?" + ED worthwhile at Chicago?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Add a "Why X?" to U Chicago ED?

Just ED
53%
Go for the "Why Chicago?" too
47%

Total votes: 17

Ernert

"Why X?" + ED worthwhile at Chicago?

Postby Ernert » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:13 pm

Thanks for the info
Last edited by Ernert on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lawyerwannabe

Re: "Why X?" + ED worthwhile at Chicago?

Postby lawyerwannabe » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:39 pm

Am I missing something? Without numbers it is hard to say whether an ED to UChi is a good idea or not.

Ernert

Postby Ernert » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:12 pm

-
Last edited by Ernert on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:14 pm

I thought I read somewhere on their site something specifically about Why Chicago? essays, but I can't find it. I do know they pointedly say on more than one occasion to be concise and only submit addenda if it absolutely cannot be part of your personal statement, so I would be leery of submitting a Why Chicago essay.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:16 pm

If thats where you really want to go, why not? Doesnt it only take like two weeks to get ED decisions back?

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:20 pm

bport hopeful wrote:If thats where you really want to go, why not? Doesnt it only take like two weeks to get ED decisions back?

No. They send out ED decisions in batches in December.

Ernert

Postby Ernert » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:21 pm

-
Last edited by Ernert on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:23 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:If thats where you really want to go, why not? Doesnt it only take like two weeks to get ED decisions back?

Still pretty early. Id do it still if that where you wanna be.

Ernert

Postby Ernert » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:28 pm

Something I just dug up on the site (Samara I assume this is what you were referring to):

May I submit a diversity statement or an additional essay?
We do not ask for a diversity statement or additional essays because we believe that the personal statement is an appropriate place for you discuss any aspects of your background (e.g., racial, ethnic, or religious identification, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation) that you think are relevant to your application. If you find that you absolutely cannot convey the necessary information in your personal statement, you may submit an additional statement.

Remember that the Committee is looking for you to demonstrate skills that you will need in law school. We want to see that you can communicate your message in a clear, concise, and organized manner. Often, too many additional or supplemental materials or addenda detract from a clear and concise message.

The impression I'm getting from this statement is that it would be preferable to put any Chicago-ness into the PS and call it a day.

Then this is from the TLS interview with Assistant Dean of Admissions Ann Perry:

TLS: So since you don’t have a Why Chicago question, does that mean that students shouldn’t write one?

It’s fine if they want — they can add it to their personal statement. I am a fan of addendums. If they feel there’s something they really want the admissions committee to know that already isn’t in their application in another way, addendums work in that way. Sometimes I think about going to a Why Chicago question; I haven’t yet, though.

Which seems to contradict the above to an extent, especially because I think when she says, "add it to their personal statement," she means in the form of a separate piece, not just incorporating it into the statement.

Ernert

Postby Ernert » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:29 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:

Still pretty early. Id do it still if that where you wanna be.

I totally agree. Honestly, I'm basically set on applying there because it basically seems to be my dream school the more I read about it, I'm just trying to figure out this one aspect of my application.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:31 pm

Sheehan wrote:Something I just dug up on the site (Samara I assume this is what you were referring to):

May I submit a diversity statement or an additional essay?
We do not ask for a diversity statement or additional essays because we believe that the personal statement is an appropriate place for you discuss any aspects of your background (e.g., racial, ethnic, or religious identification, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation) that you think are relevant to your application. If you find that you absolutely cannot convey the necessary information in your personal statement, you may submit an additional statement.

Remember that the Committee is looking for you to demonstrate skills that you will need in law school. We want to see that you can communicate your message in a clear, concise, and organized manner. Often, too many additional or supplemental materials or addenda detract from a clear and concise message.

The impression I'm getting from this statement is that it would be preferable to put any Chicago-ness into the PS and call it a day.

Then this is from the TLS interview with Assistant Dean of Admissions Ann Perry:

TLS: So since you don’t have a Why Chicago question, does that mean that students shouldn’t write one?

It’s fine if they want — they can add it to their personal statement. I am a fan of addendums. If they feel there’s something they really want the admissions committee to know that already isn’t in their application in another way, addendums work in that way. Sometimes I think about going to a Why Chicago question; I haven’t yet, though.

Which seems to contradict the above to an extent, especially because I think when she says, "add it to their personal statement," she means in the form of a separate piece, not just incorporating it into the statement.

Yeah, there's that page, but I thought I saw another page. Hmmm...maybe not. Those definitely are mixed messages. I guess if you can think of something really specific and personal that isn't addressed in your PS, go for it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”