Study Abroad Last Semester of Undergrad

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
airbear1012

Study Abroad Last Semester of Undergrad

Postby airbear1012 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:48 pm

I'm thinking about studying abroad for my last semester of undergrad. I plan to have my applications in by the beginning of November, so it shouldn't affect that. I was just wondering if anyone else had done this, and if people think it's a good idea. Also, should I let the schools that I am applying to know that I won't be in the country? Thanks for the help.

ihhwap1

Postby ihhwap1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:08 am

Last edited by ihhwap1 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MumofCad

Re: Study Abroad Last Semester of Undergrad

Postby MumofCad » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:15 pm

I studied abroad my last year of college and managed to apply/find a job on a political campaign. Its not like you won't have email access. I don't see why this would be an issue unless you are totally uncertain about the school you want to attend and think ASWs would help.

Just add a note to your applications, letting them know you plan to be abroad beginning in January, will have email access and can arrange phone interviews where necessary if notified via email. I think all of your decisions will be emailed or show up in status checkers.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:51 pm

They let you put a range for various addresses, and just shoot them an email telling them you'll be abroad/where you're going. You could also use this email to continue showing interest in the school.

The only main problem I would see with this is that you wouldn't be able to go to Admitted Students Weekends. So make sure that you visit schools you're really interested in, because ASWs/visits can be extremely important in making final decisions. I'd also suggest that you make sure that if you put your permanent address as your parents', have them keep all the stuff that the schools send you because some of it is important.

And certain schools call to admit you, so that's another reason to email them to let them know you'll be out of the country, so they can email you instead :)

SarahKerrigan

Postby SarahKerrigan » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:47 pm

I wish i could study abroad my last semester of school! my school (UC Davis) has a policy that we have to take our final 36 units in california or the US something like that, and the final 12 at UC Davis.

suzige

Postby suzige » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:57 pm

I'm studying abroad my last semester as well. I'm planning to take a gap year before applying, though. I'm curious as to how it would play out for those applying right away.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:28 pm

I was working abroad when I applied and listed both my international address and my parents' home address. They tried to send viewbooks, acceptances, scholarship info, etc. to my international address and it was kind of a disappointment when things arrived far later for me or got lost in the mail. In that situation, I would have rather just listed my permanent address so that my mom could share the scholarship information with me rather than waiting a few weeks for it to arrive. There were other schools that didn't even send me an acceptance packet, just an email, and I would've liked to have everything included. This is my long and rambling way of saying it might be better to list your home address only and deal with prepare your parents to deal with phone call acceptances.

airbear1012

Postby airbear1012 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:00 pm

Thanks for all the help! I figured I would have to put my parents' address on the applications. Now I'm a little worried about missing my chance to visit if I'm accepted. I guess this means I'll be going places over winter break!

goodbyepuppy

Postby goodbyepuppy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:42 pm

Hey SarahKerrigan,

Are you sure that's UCD's policy? Damn, and I was planning on studying abroad the whole year next academic year :(.

P.S. Are you in the Starcraft Club?

ihhwap1

Postby ihhwap1 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:01 pm

Last edited by ihhwap1 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:39 pm

SarahKerrigan wrote:I wish i could study abroad my last semester of school! my school (UC Davis) has a policy that we have to take our final 36 units in california or the US something like that, and the final 12 at UC Davis.

I went to UCD and studied abroad my last 2 quarters. You can get that waived, you just have to fill out the right paperwork.

airbear1012

Postby airbear1012 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:53 pm

ihhwap1 wrote:
airbear1012 wrote:Thanks for all the help! I figured I would have to put my parents' address on the applications. Now I'm a little worried about missing my chance to visit if I'm accepted. I guess this means I'll be going places over winter break!

I think I'm putting my parents' address too. And maybe just send an email in early January about availability for phone interviews?

How many law schools actually do interviews? I don't think any of the schools I'm applying to have them, but I'm not sure. I wonder if requesting a phone interview looks bad?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:07 pm

airbear1012 wrote:
ihhwap1 wrote:
airbear1012 wrote:Thanks for all the help! I figured I would have to put my parents' address on the applications. Now I'm a little worried about missing my chance to visit if I'm accepted. I guess this means I'll be going places over winter break!

I think I'm putting my parents' address too. And maybe just send an email in early January about availability for phone interviews?

How many law schools actually do interviews? I don't think any of the schools I'm applying to have them, but I'm not sure. I wonder if requesting a phone interview looks bad?

The only school I know of that has an interview is Northwestern, and I think that's optional. In any case, I had a few waitlist interviews, scholarship interviews, etc. and did them all over the phone or through skype.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”