October LSAT v December LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DrPepper237

October LSAT v December LSAT

Postby DrPepper237 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:48 pm

The subject says it all. Should I still try to take the October LSAT over the December LSAT even if I don't know if I'll be ready to score well on the October one? I'm prepping really heavy right now and I have yet to take a fresh practice test (since I'm still reviewing all the different sections) so I may have improved, but I just can't decide.

I heard that the statistics are higher for acceptance for LSAT takers who do the October one....

What say the TLS world?

WestOfTheRest

Re: October LSAT v December LSAT

Postby WestOfTheRest » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:00 pm

Take it when you are ready. The statistics are the way they are because the people who take in October are typically more prepared.

wolfpack-avvocato

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:18 pm

It's a personal thing man. If you are ready don't shuffle your feet, just do it. The stats about who does better when is a function of the overall preparedness of the test takes, not some strange aura of luck that surrounds the test on a specific date.

DrPepper237

Postby DrPepper237 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:02 pm

wolfpack-avvocato wrote:It's a personal thing man. If you are ready don't shuffle your feet, just do it. The stats about who does better when is a function of the overall preparedness of the test takes, not some strange aura of luck that surrounds the test on a specific date.

oh i didn't mean to imply that i thought there was a factor of luck to the test date. I was just thinking about october test takers are able to get their scores and applications in befre december test takers and in that sene have a leg up on the competition.

but you both have given great advice. i will continue preparation and see where I am on my next practice test. :)

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:57 pm

Yeah, if you're on the bubble at a school, applying with an October score is probably worth one or two points. LSN is littered with people who underperformed on their cycle because they applied with a December score. If you can study hard and get your PT average up to a couple points above your target (to account for how commonly people score below their PT average), shoot for the October score. If you underprepared, wait until December. Remember, you can always retake and you can always wait until next cycle.

ComatoseClown

Postby ComatoseClown » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:14 pm

Yeah, if you're on the bubble at a school, applying with an October score is probably worth one or two points

Why is this? Why would a law school give special preference to a certain test administration date over others?

wolfpack-avvocato

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:55 pm

ComatoseClown wrote:
Yeah, if you're on the bubble at a school, applying with an October score is probably worth one or two points

Why is this? Why would a law school give special preference to a certain test administration date over others?

Early bird gets the worm.

ComatoseClown

Postby ComatoseClown » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:22 pm

early bird to me = June LSAT and not October. Worm to me carries a negative connotation, so I have no idea what you mean now.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:24 pm

Take October. Register for December afterwards if you think it went poorly.

I had a garbage first admission in June took in December and went up 7 points and still was scored 4 below my PT avg :| However, I landed numerous T-14. Give yourself 2 chances.

DrPepper237

Postby DrPepper237 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:11 pm

ComatoseClown wrote:early bird to me = June LSAT and not October. Worm to me carries a negative connotation, so I have no idea what you mean now.

couldn't take june lsat. just wasn't an option for me. I've been taking summer classes so could graduate in november. i want to be admitted to a school in fall 2012. we'll see how my next preptest goes... see if im on a good track and moviing at a decent pace to be ready in october.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”