If you think going back t school will enhance your career...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vanwinkle

Re: If you think going back t school will enhance your career...

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:47 am

MTal wrote:What is going on is truly a "generational holocaust" and the sooner you decline the invitation to get on the cattle cars, the sooner things will start to change for the better.

I'm always appalled by people who use the word "holocaust" freely and inappropriately and in doing so diminish the meaning of the holocaust.

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:00 am

vanwinkle wrote:
MTal wrote:What is going on is truly a "generational holocaust" and the sooner you decline the invitation to get on the cattle cars, the sooner things will start to change for the better.

I'm always appalled by people who use the word "holocaust" freely and inappropriately and in doing so diminish the meaning of the holocaust.

ETA: Since graduate/professional school and genocide are exceedingly similar...

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:22 am

Mtal,you needed a job at a discount brokerage to understand how to trade options?

areyouinsane

Postby areyouinsane » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:27 am

DOW down 236 points as we speak. Things are shaping up like late summer/fall of 2008, only worse. Unemployment is off the charts, businesses are closings down/laying off workers by the truckload, almost every economic metric is truly beyond abysmal.

I can't wait for the next round of Biglaw shops going under, waves of deferrments/ withdrawn offers, etc. Good times! The world has a huge surplus of makework paper-pushers anyway.

MTal

Postby MTal » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:32 am

Patriot1208 wrote:Mtal,you needed a job at a discount brokerage to understand how to trade options?

Not to understand, but to improve my knowledge and sophistication of option strategies.

MTal

Postby MTal » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:43 pm

areyouinsane wrote:DOW down 236 points as we speak. Things are shaping up like late summer/fall of 2008, only worse. Unemployment is off the charts, businesses are closings down/laying off workers by the truckload, almost every economic metric is truly beyond abysmal.

I can't wait for the next round of Biglaw shops going under, waves of deferrments/ withdrawn offers, etc. Good times! The world has a huge surplus of makework paper-pushers anyway.

Today's close didn't help either.

tyro

Postby tyro » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:56 am

MTal wrote:
tyro wrote:
MTal wrote:
tyro wrote:In the incidence that a poster makes a crucial typing error in the title of his/her post which will ideally draw people to the ideas one perpetuates, I have to have a thought. I'm going to read what you posted though.

There wasn't enough room to write "to" dumbass.

I read the article. Why don't you just go ahead and post your reasons for being so angry? I recall a post stating that you attended a T2 and ended up with a lot of debt and no job. I'm curious to know what you are doing now and how you are dealing with your situation.

the current generation of 20 somethings is truly "generation lost". Most have no marketable skills, literally nothing employers will find useful

Within a species evolving towards the literal infusion of flesh and metal, persons of the generation you speak of have the advantage of being technologically savvy as a result of the constant use of electronics within many different aspects of life. This alone might not be a marketable skill, but it likely has created an unprecendented group that may be able to adapt more readily to whatever advancements the future may hold.

Rock-N-Roll

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:14 am

MTal wrote: the sooner you decline the invitation to get on the cattle cars, the sooner things will start to change for the better.

MTal: As committed as you seem to your point of view, please do not invoke the Holocaust in this way (that trivializes it). I presume you are Jewish from your name and tar, and so you should know better.

As far as your viewpoint itself, I'm glad you were able to snag a job in finance that you enjoy, but I want to be a lawyer, and that is why I'm going to law school. A lot of posters on this site feel the same way and many (?most) of us are not ignorant of what is going on in the economy or how it affects legal hiring.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:21 am

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
MTal wrote: the sooner you decline the invitation to get on the cattle cars, the sooner things will start to change for the better.

MTal: As committed as you seem to your point of view, please do not invoke the Holocaust in this way (that trivializes it). I presume you are Jewish from your name and tar, and so you should know better.

As far as your viewpoint itself, I'm glad you were able to snag a job in finance that you enjoy, but I want to be a lawyer, and that is why I'm going to law school. A lot of posters on this site feel the same way and many (?most) of us are not ignorant of what is going on in the economy or how it affects legal hiring.

MTal has been trolling these boards for years, and most are used to his shtick (which is why this thread generally hasn't gotten much attention, he's become more of a background noise). Save yourself some aggravation and just let it go.

wolfpack-avvocato

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:22 am

NYC Law wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:

MTal has been trolling these boards for years, and most are used to his shtick (which is why this thread generally hasn't gotten much attention, he's become more of a background noise). Save yourself some aggravation and just let it go.

......you joined less than 3 months ago.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:32 am

MTal wrote:There is literally no justification to pay for law school anymore, which the vast majority of posters on this board are doing.

I dunno about that. I might be making $38k/year with $150k of loans, but my job is fun, and I was making about $12k/year before I went to law school at a job that was way more boring. Could be worse.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:41 am

wolfpack-avvocato wrote:
NYC Law wrote:MTal has been trolling these boards for years, and most are used to his shtick (which is why this thread generally hasn't gotten much attention, he's become more of a background noise). Save yourself some aggravation and just let it go.

Your point is? I just familiarized myself with the TLS Wiki

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:42 am

NYC Law wrote:
wolfpack-avvocato wrote:
NYC Law wrote:MTal has been trolling these boards for years, and most are used to his shtick (which is why this thread generally hasn't gotten much attention, he's become more of a background noise). Save yourself some aggravation and just let it go.

Your point is? I just familiarized myself with the TLS Wiki

...there is a TLS Wiki? Please tell me this is not true.

Bosoxfan

Postby Bosoxfan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:54 am

if this was troll learnin school i wud teach u how 2 troll buts it not so ur lcky kid

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:33 pm

Irrelevant article is irrelevant.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:52 pm

MTal wrote: What is going on is truly a "generational holocaust" and the sooner you decline the invitation to get on the cattle cars, the sooner things will start to change for the better.

Hyperbole much?

ETA: as a Jew I find your references to the holocaust and cattle cars offensive. Seriously.

EMAW12

Postby EMAW12 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:33 am

WhoIsDonDraper wrote:Image

Love this.

Postby 83947368 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:46 am

MTal wrote:
The best "education" you can get is by working at a company that will teach you practical things that other people actually find useful. This is why the current generation of 20 somethings is truly "generation lost". Most have no marketable skills, literally nothing employers will find useful, and on top of that, have a giant anchor around their necks in the form of non-dischargeable debt.

I felt like I was reading Flannery O'Connor on that doom and gloom educational boogey man stuff. But this is totally true. So many kids on this thread. So many fucking kids. Get a real job, you bums.

But seriously. Quitting on getting a job before law school probably isn't the best way to head into a competitive legal career.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:07 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

Especially someone who has a goddamn Israeli flag as their avatar.

Wade LeBosh

Postby Wade LeBosh » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:56 pm

MTal, I know this is your shtick, but you're really bad at it. As an 0L nothing you've said has even made me think twice about going to LS. You might want to take a cue from areyouinsane. He's at least managed to make me (and probably other 0Ls this) think twice about LS, not to mention how entertaining his stories are.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:19 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote:MTal, I know this is your shtick, but you're really bad at it. As an 0L nothing you've said has even made me think twice about going to LS. You might want to take a cue from areyouinsane. He's at least managed to make me (and probably other 0Ls this) think twice about LS, not to mention how entertaining his stories are.

What he said.

MTal

Postby MTal » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:36 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote:MTal, I know this is your shtick, but you're really bad at it. As an 0L nothing you've said has even made me think twice about going to LS. You might want to take a cue from areyouinsane. He's at least managed to make me (and probably other 0Ls this) think twice about LS, not to mention how entertaining his stories are.

You speak only for yourself. I can't tell you how many pm's I've gotten from the undecided and uncommitted seeking direction.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:53 pm

MTal wrote:

You speak only for yourself. I can't tell you how many pm's I've gotten from the undecided and uncommitted seeking direction.

Actually, you can. Unless the number is over 5000, in which case you've deleted pm's.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:01 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

Not sure if serious.

2011Unemployed

Postby 2011Unemployed » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:03 pm

areyouinsane wrote:
Law school and TLS are enablers of this system, where massive amounts of wealth is transferred from the younger generation, cutting their careers and life prospects short before they even had a chance to prove themselves. What is going on is truly a "generational holocaust" and the sooner you decline the invitation to get on the cattle cars, the sooner things will start to change for the better.

Spot on as always, MTal.

However, I do think most TLS kids are quite aware of how miserable and saturated the market is, and those heading to Top 14's with schollys still have a decent shot at Biglaw (except maybe GULC since they've soiled their rep. by becoming something of an over-enrolled diploma mill).

Troll or not troll, this paragraph is a pretty accurate description of what is going on in this country; higher education is but one facet of it. All that accumulated wealth, however, will be passed on to a small portion of this generation and most of them are of the sort that go to top law schools. That is to say, that in addition to being a generational wealth transfer, the transfer is into a fairly small portion of the older generation, as is evidenced by the change in income distribution over the last two decades. Thus, for the elites it isn't so much of a transfer as a generational loan. For the rest, it's a simple, likely irreversible, wealth transfer.

However, I wouldn't be so sure that TLS is as savvy as you think; I wasn't. I went to MVPB with a substantial scholarship; I also had work experience. I'd thought all the inflated job statistics where characteristics of lesser schools, that there was an asterisk next to the chicken little employment articles excepting the t-14 from them. They are not and there is not. As the name suggests, it didn't work out so well for me (and no, grades were not bad. Almost dead median, in fact). There's very little chance that I'll find something that justifies the costs of law school. Most likely at some time in the next couple of months I'll return to the field I was in before law school -with depleted savings, a pile of debt and three years less experience and advancement than had I not gone to law school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”