Question about LSAC's processing of transcripts, foreign

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MumofCad

Question about LSAC's processing of transcripts, foreign

Postby MumofCad » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:16 am

Couple LSAC/transcripts questions.

1) My UK doctoral program swears they sent in my transcript already. They even sent me the scanned documents via email to show it had been sent. Its totally meaningless other than saying I am in good standing and expected to complete work next year. No real information as our courses are not graded in UK doctoral programs. Its been a month. LSAC still says it hasn't received them, despite getting my master's transcript from another UK university. Will my application be considered complete without this transcript? If I need to harass for another copy, I had better do it soon....

2) Does it take a notoriously long time for LSAC to process foreign transcripts? They've had my master's transcript for a month now and it still says noting in the processed box. I am now worried that if this is the case, it will significantly delay my application since they haven't even received my other foreign transcript - again, if they've received it and not processed it, will I be able to "go complete" on applications before they have? As long as my UG transcript is complete?

3) Anyone know how they evaluate foreign transcripts? I have heard above average, etc. Is there something better than above average? I hope so!

Thanks for any help!

IamIn

Re: Question about LSAC's processing of transcripts, foreign

Postby IamIn » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:59 am

It took them about a week to process my foreign UG transcript. They evaluate it and give it a ranking- superior, above average, average, below average....

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:50 am

IamIn wrote:It took them about a week to process my foreign UG transcript. They evaluate it and give it a ranking- superior, above average, average, below average....

Thanks! This seems abnormal then for them to take a month. I am wondering if they don't "process" post-grad work since its not really important to your application. I guess I'll give them a call today and see what the hold-up is/answer whether I can "go complete" without them being processed.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:32 pm

In my case, I sent my foreign undergraduate transcript, paid my CAS fee, and then forgot to send them my postgraduate transcript for about another six weeks. They did nothing until they got my postgrad transcript - then they processed both transcripts in about a week.

I think they have to get all of your transcripts and your CAS fee before they process anything.

Yeah, they don't really do anything with the postgrad transcript.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:38 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:In my case, I sent my foreign undergraduate transcript, paid my CAS fee, and then forgot to send them my postgraduate transcript for about another six weeks. They did nothing until they got my postgrad transcript - then they processed both transcripts in about a week.

I think they have to get all of your transcripts and your CAS fee before they process anything.

Yeah, they don't really do anything with the postgrad transcript.

I paid my CAS fee two months ago before having them all sent. They've already processed my UG transcript. Did it actually say "yes" in the "transcript processed" box? Mine just has "yes" in the "transcript received" box, then nothing in the processed box. Whereas my UG transcript was processed in days. They were received around the same time 3.5 weeks ago.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:40 pm

Hahaha - well one down. I just re-logged on to my session this morning and they have now received my doctoral transcript. I figured they would as soon as I posted or called. Otherwise, it would have been lost in the mail for another month. Glad I didn't end up calling to get it re-sent.

Now to figure out why they aren't processing my Master's transcript.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:49 pm

Called and got an answer for any faced with this question in the future:

They do not analyze post-grad overseas transcripts until all of them are received, even if they are separate degrees from different universities. Now that my doctoral one is in, they will process them both together.

According to her, my undergrad transcript is complete for applying to universities and this wouldn't effect my ability to apply, though some schools might hold a final decision until they were received.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:54 pm

MumofCad wrote:I paid my CAS fee two months ago before having them all sent. They've already processed my UG transcript. Did it actually say "yes" in the "transcript processed" box? Mine just has "yes" in the "transcript received" box, then nothing in the processed box. Whereas my UG transcript was processed in days. They were received around the same time 3.5 weeks ago.

In my case, there was a 'yes' in the UG transcript received box but nothing in the transcript processed box until they got my PG transcript, then, within about a week, they processed both, and the date they were processed appeared in the transcript processed box.

Once they had processed my UG transcript, a link appeared called 'JD Foreign CAS Evaluation' In the 'My Status' box at the top of the page. That is the only document they provide with any content - it has your degree evaluation.

EDIT: looks like you found the answer to your question while I was typing this. Oh well.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”