Another LSAC GPA question... CC woes

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
instra:mental
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:26 pm

Another LSAC GPA question... CC woes

Postby instra:mental » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:21 am

I've done a good amount of searching in the forums, and it seems pretty obvious that pretty much every class you ever take at any college counts in your LSAC GPA. With a few exceptions. Pulled from the LSAC website:

Grades Excluded From Conversion
Withdraw, Withdraw/Pass—only if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive.
Incomplete—only if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive.
Those given for remedial courses only if the transcript clearly indicates they are remedial.

I took an Algebra 1 class and got a C. I have excuses, but excuses are like butts, everyone has got them and no one wants them. SO anyway, obviously I need to check with my former school and make a bunch of phone calls and stuff, but do you guys think this would count as a clearly remedial class, and therefore not count in my LSAC GPA? My transcript reads: "Elementary Algebra MATH70" .

Thanks a ton, feel free to yell at me if this was answered in some forum back in 2007.

quetzal_bird
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:45 am

Re: Another LSAC GPA question... CC woes

Postby quetzal_bird » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:25 am

I think you'll only get an answer once you talk to your school

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Another LSAC GPA question... CC woes

Postby Samara » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 am

Hmm...interesting question. I have no idea what the answer is, but I'm curious to find out. As the previous poster said, you're probably going to have to call the school to see how they consider it. And maybe LSAC too, as clarification may be needed. Come back and give us an update when it all gets sorted out!

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Another LSAC GPA question... CC woes

Postby Ruxin1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:58 am

instra:mental wrote:I've done a good amount of searching in the forums, and it seems pretty obvious that pretty much every class you ever take at any college counts in your LSAC GPA. With a few exceptions. Pulled from the LSAC website:

Grades Excluded From Conversion
Withdraw, Withdraw/Pass—only if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive.
Incomplete—only if the issuing school considers the grade nonpunitive.
Those given for remedial courses only if the transcript clearly indicates they are remedial.

I took an Algebra 1 class and got a C. I have excuses, but excuses are like butts, everyone has got them and no one wants them. SO anyway, obviously I need to check with my former school and make a bunch of phone calls and stuff, but do you guys think this would count as a clearly remedial class, and therefore not count in my LSAC GPA? My transcript reads: "Elementary Algebra MATH70" .

Thanks a ton, feel free to yell at me if this was answered in some forum back in 2007.


A bunch of math classes algebra, stats, etc. begin with "Elementary" I don't think that is stating it's remedial.

Sorry bud, in same situation got a C one summer from a CC online class because my school didn't convert so I didn't care but now my Yale GPA is not :/

phillipjg
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:39 am

Re: Another LSAC GPA question... CC woes

Postby phillipjg » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:06 am

I would guess from the course number it was remedial. It's Math70? I would think college-level courses would be 170, 270, 370, 470. Postgraduate probably 570. At my institution remedial would be 070.

User avatar
instra:mental
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:26 pm

Re: Another LSAC GPA question... CC woes

Postby instra:mental » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:11 am

phillipjg wrote:I would guess from the course number it was remedial. It's Math70? I would think college-level courses would be 170, 270, 370, 470. Postgraduate probably 570. At my institution remedial would be 070.


Yes! Maybe that's how I will defeat them! Haha, the collegegiate level courses didn't start until 100 or 101 at that school (but how would lsac know that, maybe I could tell them somehow?) 70 would clearly be remedial if I could inform them of that somehow. Hmmm...

User avatar
instra:mental
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:26 pm

Re: Another LSAC GPA question... CC woes

Postby instra:mental » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:02 am

Bump. Does anyone have any experience with this?

satirian
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Another LSAC GPA question... CC woes

Postby satirian » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:34 am

I have experience with this.

Easy way:
1)You need to look at your transcript. Most official transcripts have an explanation of the course numbering system on the back. 2) If yours does, you call LSAC and be as polite as possible and explain that course # 70 was remedial.

Hard way:
You find the information in your institution’s college catalog, preferably online, and ask LSAC to review the information after you explain that the course was remedial

User avatar
instra:mental
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:26 pm

Re: Another LSAC GPA question... CC woes

Postby instra:mental » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:34 pm

satirian wrote:I have experience with this.

Easy way:
1)You need to look at your transcript. Most official transcripts have an explanation of the course numbering system on the back. 2) If yours does, you call LSAC and be as polite as possible and explain that course # 70 was remedial.

Hard way:
You find the information in your institution’s college catalog, preferably online, and ask LSAC to review the information after you explain that the course was remedial


Thanks much!

moxie101
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: Another LSAC GPA question... CC woes

Postby moxie101 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:40 pm

I have experience with this. I took an Elementary Algebra class and LSAC did not include it in my GPA. In fact LSAC didnt even recognize it as an actual class. However in my school the labeling for remedial classes starts with a 0 (e.g-098, 099) which distinguishes it from college level courses which start at a 1 (eg-101, 103), as opposed to your school which would label it as 70. And to be on the safe side, when I sent in my transcript form along with my transcripts to LSAC, I wrote that the course was a remedial class (so I made sure that LSAC had a clear indication of what they were processing, just in case)....good luck!

User avatar
NewLobo
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Another LSAC GPA question... CC woes

Postby NewLobo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:11 am

The CC I went to used a similar numbering system. Anything below 1000 was remedial. Here Elementary Algebra is remedial because it is a class you should have taken in middle or highschool. Intermediate and College Algebra are the ones that count. However, to give you peice of mind, I would look into it.

User avatar
NYCbound35
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:48 am

Re: Another LSAC GPA question... CC woes

Postby NYCbound35 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:20 am

Any college course that you can take in middle school is remedial...

but in all seriousness, sub-100 courses do not count as graded units for most colleges (so won't be counted by LSAC), so I think that a quick letter to LSAC should clear everything up for you

satirian
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Another LSAC GPA question... CC woes

Postby satirian » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:52 pm

From my experience…

Don’t be too surprised if they sound uninterested when you tell them about the error. When I called them they exhibited an unimpressed unenthusiastic attitude. I suspect that is because they get hundreds/thousands of misguided calls from 0L’s who don’t understand LSAC GPA policy.

All in all though, they handled my inquiry professionally and in a timely manner. FWIW my GPA did go up as a result of their re-evaluation of my transcript.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests