Missed transcript deadline

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
orbitz1200

Missed transcript deadline

Postby orbitz1200 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:10 pm

So I just found out that I have what may be a major problem. I was admitted to my law school (U Washington), sent my letter of intent to register, paid the seat fee, and signed up with the school as a new student (even have the student ID card). I also requested my official transcript be sent from my undergrad school (from which I graduated five years ago). The registrar confirmed my request and said that she would send the transcript within five business days, and that was about three weeks ago.

Just today, though, I discovered that, unbeknownst to me and due to rather crazy circumstances, the transcript could not be sent. Today (Sunday) was the deadline for sending the transcripts.

How screwed am I? Is it likely that the law school will rescind my acceptance because I missed the deadline? I explained the situation to them and will rectify it all tomorrow, but they aren't in the office today. No matter what, I miss the deadline.

I've already quit my job and moved across the country to attend, and it would be utterly devastating if they rescind my acceptance. Pretty freaked out right now...

YYZ

Re: Missed transcript deadline

Postby YYZ » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:23 pm

I don't think you have anything to worry about. My school requires this as well, but I wasn't given a firm due date. They gave us a reminder to do this asap. According to the ABA, your law school must have your transcript (from undergrad degree granting institution) on file before they grant you a law degree. This info was the on the "admitted students" section of the school's website.

I bet they gave you the deadline of this summer so they don't have to hassel you about it later.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:24 pm

They're not going to rescind your offer based on that, no.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:35 pm

acrossthelake wrote:They're not going to rescind your offer based on that, no.

orbitz1200

Postby orbitz1200 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:40 pm

This is the school's description of the requirement:

"Send an Official Transcript - offer of admission is contingent upon the filing of an official transcript recording the award of your bachelor's degree. The one we received with your LSDAS report is unofficial and does not meet this requirement. Please ask your undergraduate school to send by July 31 an official transcript recording the receipt of your bachelor's degree."

The thing that has me so concerned is the "admission is contingent" aspect. I just really don't want them to automatically give my spot to somebody on the waitlist first thing tomorrow morning. I've done everything else and met every other deadline, it's just this one crazy situation hanging over my head.

acrossthelake, I really hope you're right...

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:44 pm

I know someone who got their immunization & doctor records in around late August for a July 15 deadline. No one cared.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:44 pm

Their office is closed today and you need some reassurance so you're not up all night worrying; I understand. It's extremely unlikely that they'd rescind your acceptance over this, so just call them tomorrow and explain the situation, and get the transcript sent.

orbitz1200

Postby orbitz1200 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:50 pm

Thanks everybody! It eases my mind to know that this shouldn't be a big deal as long as I take care of it first thing tomorrow. That makes sense, too, because you'd think if it was a make-or-break thing the school would have contacted me to note that they didn't have it yet and could boot me if they don't get it in time.

Glock

Postby Glock » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:52 pm

The only time it is going to matter for them is if the ABA audits. Deadlines on these are not typically important to the school. I did not turn mine in until like October of 1L.

Still, I would call and sort it out ASAP.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:07 pm

I can't even send my final transcript until after classes start in August, because a transcript that notes my degree was conferred is not available until then. I talked to my school about this back in April and I sent them a reminder e-mail a couple weeks after the deadline had passed. It's really not a big deal.

orbitz1200

Postby orbitz1200 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:30 pm

Just to update, it was indeed no big deal. As you guys thought, it was essentially an arbitrary deadline. The school just needs the transcript by the time classes start, which isn't for a month and a half. Still, I'm having it sent out today.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”