Do schools give scholarships to early decision applicants? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NeedtoStudy

New

Do schools give scholarships to early decision applicants?

Post by NeedtoStudy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:37 am

If you ED, don't you lose all bargaining power when it comes to scholarships? Why would schools give even a penny in schollys to the ED students, since they are contractually obligated to only attending that school, in that application year?

Thanks

Emma.

Gold

Re: Do schools give scholarships to early decision applicants?

Post by Emma. » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:58 am

NeedtoStudy wrote:If you ED, don't you lose all bargaining power when it comes to scholarships? Why would schools give even a penny in schollys to the ED students, since they are contractually obligated to only attending that school, in that application year?

Thanks
I think Mich gives ED applicants full consideration for aid, and I'd imagine any school that has legitimate need-based aid would also offer that to ED applicants. You are right though that you have lost all your bargaining power and a lot of schools will give you nothing. Ultimately though if you applied ED to the school your numbers are probably somewhat marginal for that school and you wouldn't be in a position to get a huge scholarship anyway. So when Mich gives aid to its ED students, it probably isn't giving out a ton of cash.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:59 am

LSN seems to indicate that some schools will. Most schools say that they consider ED applicants in the same way as RD applicants for money. While this might be true, two factors work against the ED people:

1) If you applied ED, you probably had borderline numbers anyway.

2) All negotiating leverage is lost.

Of the schools in the T-14, Michigan looks like the most generous with money for ED applicants. Chicago gave all of their ED people 15K last year, as another example.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:00 pm

NeedtoStudy wrote:If you ED, don't you lose all bargaining power when it comes to scholarships? Why would schools give even a penny in schollys to the ED students, since they are contractually obligated to only attending that school, in that application year?

Thanks
You will still get scholarship money. The schools have an incentive to make you want to stay at the school. If your #'s are high enough to warrant scholarship money they will give you a scholarship. Remember, even if you're accepted you 1) don't have to attend this year, and 2) you could transfer out the next year.

With that said: You will have no bargaining power. What they give is what you will have to accept. This means you're getting the short end of the stick. What could have been negotiated into a full ride will now be (hypothetically) 1/2 tuition. Depending on the school this could be $20,000 in the first year alone.

Also, remember that stipulation are in place and many people do not meet them at the end of the first year. No one knows how well they will do after the first year and your scholarship could disappear :(

The Short Answer: You will still have money but not nearly as much as you might have had.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:02 pm

Emma. wrote:
I think Mich gives ED applicants full consideration for aid, and I'd imagine any school that has legitimate need-based aid would also offer that to ED applicants. You are right though that you have lost all your bargaining power and a lot of schools will give you nothing. Ultimately though if you applied ED to the school your numbers are probably somewhat marginal for that school and you wouldn't be in a position to get a huge scholarship anyway. So when Mich gives aid to its ED students, it probably isn't giving out a ton of cash.
Need based aid shouldn't be effected. Unfortunately, even the most generous schools in the T1/T2 don't give out substantial need based aid. You're scholarship is going to dwarf your need based aid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NeedtoStudy

New

Post by NeedtoStudy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:39 pm

Would you say there is enough of a boost if you are on the fringe? Wouldn't they just convert you to RD if you aren't up to snuff?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:47 pm

kapital98 wrote:
The Short Answer: You will still have money but not nearly as much as you might have had.
This might be true at some schools, but it is bad general advice IMO. I know quite a few people who had scholarship-worthy numbers but got nothing because they applied ED. I really don't think schools are going to give significant scholarship $$ in the off chance that you defer school for a year or might possibly transfer if you are lucky enough to have the grades to do so.
NeedtoStudy wrote:Would you say there is enough of a boost if you are on the fringe? Wouldn't they just convert you to RD if you aren't up to snuff?
The only reason to apply ED is the boost it gives you if you are "on the fringe." Some schools will hold your app for RD if they aren't sure about you, but ED applicants will almost always get have a better chance at admission than RD applicants with the same numbers.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:51 pm

NeedtoStudy wrote:Would you say there is enough of a boost if you are on the fringe? Wouldn't they just convert you to RD if you aren't up to snuff?
If you have numbers on the bubble, one of two things typically happen:

1) They admit you, but with no $$$.

2) They put you on hold or WL you. Either of things typically move you to the RD pool. The difference is, if you're on hold you're still being considered for admission during the cycle, alongside the folks who applied RD. The WL typically isn't touched until after enough people offered admission withdraw that they need to admit more. Since people don't have to withdraw until the deposit deadline, it's after that deadline that the WL sees movement.

UVa doesn't factor in ED status when awarding scholarships. I've known some folks there who applied ED and got significant $$$. They were folks who had strong numbers, just wanted to get into UVa, and didn't want to worry about their cycle anymore. But it's not guaranteed you'll get anything; even with strong numbers you run the risk you'll get nothing, and you still have to attend.

NeedtoStudy

New

Post by NeedtoStudy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:04 pm

Well, other than a full scholly from Chicago, I want to go to Northwestern - no matter what. It wouldn't matter if DePaul, Loyola, and Kent all offered full schollys and Northwestern offered no scholarships; I'd still want to go to NU.

However, I don't want to lose bargaining power. What kind of numbers would make me a fringe enough candidate where I'd be better served losing bargaining power and gaining the edge in getting accepted?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:08 pm

Here are the ED applicants from last year to Northwestern:

http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.co ... =3&type=jd

You can also search for all applicants and get an idea for where the cut off lies.

EDIT: What kind of numbers do you have?

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:12 pm

and do you have work experience?

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:13 pm

NeedtoStudy wrote:Well, other than a full scholly from Chicago, I want to go to Northwestern - no matter what. It wouldn't matter if DePaul, Loyola, and Kent all offered full schollys and Northwestern offered no scholarships; I'd still want to go to NU.

However, I don't want to lose bargaining power. What kind of numbers would make me a fringe enough candidate where I'd be better served losing bargaining power and gaining the edge in getting accepted?

With your numbers, assuming your okay with outside chicago, you are fringe for GW, and they guarantee full scholly with ED applicants

NeedtoStudy

New

Post by NeedtoStudy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:50 pm

Definitely staying in Chicago. Will go to NU if they extend an offer, or the next best school with the biggest scholly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”