Graduating from UG in December, help me prepare for apps?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tasteofred

Graduating from UG in December, help me prepare for apps?

Postby tasteofred » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:56 am

I'm graduating from UG in December with a 3.77 GPA. My LSAC GPA will be slightly higher (3.82 via the online calculator) after A+'s get counted.

I'm going to take the LSAT in June and apply in the 2012 cycle. When should I start studying? Start worrying about applications? Should I get LORs before I graduate or wait until I'm actually applying?

My goal is to eventually work in the Tampa, FL area, preferably in government (unless my goals change in law school). But I want to live somewhere else for school, therefore a T14 is probably necessary for the national portability, right? Do I have the GPA to get into a T14, if I do well enough on the LSAT? Would it be worth it to take extra classes during my last semester to get my GPA 0.1/0.2 point higher?

Last thing. I've worked as a legal assistant through most of college, plus some internships. I know it doesn't make much of a difference but what is more impressive: Long term, but lowly, legal assistant position or getting a better job for the 6 or so months before graduation, having more responsibility but potentially seeming like I don't stick around? Which is better when I start applying for summer jobs?

Hopefully2012

Re: Graduating from UG in December, help me prepare for apps?

Postby Hopefully2012 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:44 pm

tasteofred wrote:I'm graduating from UG in December with a 3.77 GPA. My LSAC GPA will be slightly higher (3.82 via the online calculator) after A+'s get counted.

I'm going to take the LSAT in June and apply in the 2012 cycle. When should I start studying? Start worrying about applications? Should I get LORs before I graduate or wait until I'm actually applying?

My goal is to eventually work in the Tampa, FL area, preferably in government (unless my goals change in law school). But I want to live somewhere else for school, therefore a T14 is probably necessary for the national portability, right? Do I have the GPA to get into a T14, if I do well enough on the LSAT? Would it be worth it to take extra classes during my last semester to get my GPA 0.1/0.2 point higher?

Last thing. I've worked as a legal assistant through most of college, plus some internships. I know it doesn't make much of a difference but what is more impressive: Long term, but lowly, legal assistant position or getting a better job for the 6 or so months before graduation, having more responsibility but potentially seeming like I don't stick around? Which is better when I start applying for summer jobs?

Your GPA is definitely enough for T-14 assuming you get a LSAT in the high 160s but preferably >170. You should get bites with high 160s and a 3.8X LSDAS GPA but you'll be a contender for HLS if you score in the mid-170s.

Start studying for the LSAT asap... assuming you can dedicate time to it without bringing down your GPA during your last semester. Definitely get LORs before you graduate from UG. It makes the process much easier on you.

T14 is typically what is necessary for national portability.

IMO the .01/.02 GPA boost from taking extra classes won't change your chances at admissions much. The time would be better spent studying for the LSAT.

Work experience isn't too important, especially if it's part time. Do what you feel like you would enjoy more. If you love your job/your boss now, stay. If you want to try something new, try something new.

Good luck on your LSAT!! HTH

JoseAllDay

Re: Graduating from UG in December, help me prepare for apps?

Postby JoseAllDay » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:20 pm

tasteofred wrote:.

...... Should I get LORs before I graduate or wait until I'm actually applying?

Get the letters as soon as you can. Professors die, retire, get fired, check out. I hesitated on a professor and now 5 years later when I need one I can't find the guy.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”