Suffolk Law grad,127K debt,jobless,living at home, taking Qs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
merc280

Re: Suffolk Law grad,127K debt,jobless,living at home, taking Qs

Postby merc280 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:43 am

Also, since Suffolk has a pretty large and well spread alumni, did you try contacting them while you were mass mailing?

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:10 am

merc280 wrote:Also, since Suffolk has a pretty large and well spread alumni, did you try contacting them while you were mass mailing?

I have to comment on this. The alumni from lower tier schools are alumni of lower tier schools. They have all of the same opportunities and experiences that one would expect from alumni of lower tier schools to have. How many recent grads meet the same fate as the OP. Does the OP sound like he would be in a position to hand out a job to someone if he wanted to? No, he has his own struggles. What would lead you to believe there are indeed alumni out there who have that capability?

thedive

Postby thedive » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:59 am

MrAnon wrote:
merc280 wrote:Also, since Suffolk has a pretty large and well spread alumni, did you try contacting them while you were mass mailing?

I have to comment on this. The alumni from lower tier schools are alumni of lower tier schools. They have all of the same opportunities and experiences that one would expect from alumni of lower tier schools to have. How many recent grads meet the same fate as the OP. Does the OP sound like he would be in a position to hand out a job to someone if he wanted to? No, he has his own struggles. What would lead you to believe there are indeed alumni out there who have that capability?

Do you think this is because these are lower ranked schools in over saturated markets? I chose a school that is a T3 over mid to lower T1 schools because it is cheaper, in-state, and the only law school in the state. I'm not expecting biglaw obviously, but since each class is only like 80 students, it seems like they try to not over supply lawyers too much and the alumni in the region (in-state) seem really loyal.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:11 am

thedive wrote:
MrAnon wrote:

Do you think this is because these are lower ranked schools in over saturated markets? I chose a school that is a T3 over mid to lower T1 schools because it is cheaper, in-state, and the only law school in the state. I'm not expecting biglaw obviously, but since each class is only like 80 students, it seems like they try to not over supply lawyers too much and the alumni in the region (in-state) seem really loyal.

It may be helpful but we are talking about the difference between saturated in the best markets and oversaturated in the worst. There may only be one law school in Wyoming or wherever you are, but there ain't a whole lot of demand there for lawyers. If someone even mentioned that a lawyer may be needed in 10 years then 5 schools would open overnight. Hell, I would run to open one myself. I guess though that your alumni may be more of a force in that state. In Mass they are in line behind alumni from 8 other schools for jobs and what not.

schooner

Postby schooner » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:46 am

MrAnon wrote:

The older alumni graduated into a better economy, including the boom years of the 90s when even convicted felons could find jobs. Due to luck and timing, some probably have settled into decent careers and established themselves enough to be useful to the OP.

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:05 am

Suffolkscrewed,you did what you did. I certainly wouldn't have recommended such as expensive school such as Suffolk especially incurring that amount of debt. It is a done situation however.The point is not to belabor your situation with misery but to come up with alternatives. Posting here will just garner you a lot of sympathy, which I don't think is something that you need or should be getting.

What area(s) of law do you like and are good at? For example, if you liked and were good at tax, I would recommend getting a masters in tax. I get that it requires more expenditures,but you could get a job with tax even if it with a national accounting firm.

Have you looked into the government? In usajob.com, there are usually legal positions advertised. Do you know anyone in the government that can help you? I personally know of two folks who got government legal jobs recently here in Wash DC. Have you looked into other job web sites for lawyers?
Firemed suggested to get training in a trade, which isn't a bad idea, although even those are dramatically affected by the real estate downturn.

Suffolk has a strong IP department. Did you take a lot of IP courses? If so, you can open up a practice and advertise great rates for patent and copyright work and/or litigation. Lots of people need this including folks like me. In fact, if you are particularly good at patent and copyright work and are cheap, I can use someone for a project or two.Volunteer to find freelance work.

Do you like bankruptcy? If so, you might be able to get a job in that area,which is booming. Contacting bankruptcy firms might garner you a position. Did you establish any relationship with professors? If so, they might have contacts. Tell everyone you know that you are looking for a legal job. Use your relationships to network as much as possible, even with friends that you made as an undergrad. Don't be shy about this. I would use the alumni network as much as possible by emailing them and going to alumni events.

Here are some other tips:
* Understand all of the opportunities available to you. Don't just contact large law firms. The key is to think outside the box.Every firm needs lawyers.There are LOTS of folks who want to litigate something but don't have the money to do so. Finding some good cases can get you on the road to self-employment.

* Learn to sell yourself. Being in the top 1/3 is quite good. You need to learn to express your skills succinctly and clearly and, most importantly, convincingly.
* Do you homework on companies and on recruiters. You should know what a company is doing now and where it is going and issues that they may be dealing with. Your goal is to meet their needs. This includes doing homework on any recruiters that you know or will be interviewing with. Check them out on facebook and linkedin (sp).
* Hit the road: As someone once said, don 't be afraid to simply show up at companies that you want to work with. Nobody can sell yourself like you can nor can a resume do you justice. Even companies that aren't advertising positions are always looking for good, dedicated , hard working employees. I have found that the younger generation hasn't learned the importance of personal relationships in business, which leaves many talented people wondering why they weren't hired. As someone said, "get out there and show them there is a person behind the resume."
* Be prepared for normal questions such as what are your weaknesses and why should be hire you.
Bottom line: Don't be disheartened. You just need some common sense and a lot of effort to get yourself situated.
* Use the time between jobs to keep existing skills fresh and develop new ones. Take some classes to improve your skills and is relavent to your field.
* Always send a thank you note by email
* Consider setting up a twitter account that you use professionally and follow human resource people at companies that interest you. Retweet what they write when it is good. After a few weeks of following them, send a message saying, "I'd love to talk about your company. It's a place that I am familiar with and want to work for and would love to hear about your experience there." Of course, if you get an interview, always learn as much about the company as possible including reading about them in Martindale-Hubble. Never badmouth a former boss, or co-worker or company or school.

Sorry for the wordiness. I am sure I will get flamed for all this. LOL
Good luck.

JoseAllDay

Postby JoseAllDay » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:36 pm

Seems like you have given up. The one thing I have learned in life is never give up. If you make a career of trying someone will eventually see your determination and give you a shot. Instead of posting how shitty your life is on a forum you should use this time to hit the streets.

Sorry if that seems cold but I believe that you can do it if you really want it bad enough.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:46 pm

Suffolkscrewed wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:How long are you willing to look for a JD/bar required job before you start branching out to other field?

Until December. I have actually signed up to donate sperm (not kidding) and I have ben giving blood/plasma. I feel like I am going to be screwed for life. I just want to pay off my debt ASAP.

Focus on how not to pay your debt. Look at your IBR options. You can work in a wide range of non-legal public interest fields and have your debt paid off by the government. It'll be hard to find such a job with the economy being what it is, but that should be your focus, not private practice paralegal jobs and such.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:21 pm

JoseAllDay wrote:Seems like you have given up. The one thing I have learned in life is never give up. If you make a career of trying someone will eventually see your determination and give you a shot. Instead of posting how shitty your life is on a forum you should use this time to hit the streets.

Sorry if that seems cold but I believe that you can do it if you really want it bad enough.

Typical TLS advice: "OP, you just haven't tried hard enough..."

And this comes from a guy who has a 2.3 LSAC GPA, scores in the 160s in his LSAT practice tests, and is looking into the "SLU Summer Institute." Gosh, if anything, the experience and advice the OP provides should serve as a warning to applicants like you, JoseAllDay. But I guess that as long as one tries hard enough, everything is going to be OK!

OP: Thank you sharing your painful but very real experience; I am sure it takes a lot of guts. Best luck to you.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:28 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Suffolkscrewed wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:How long are you willing to look for a JD/bar required job before you start branching out to other field?

Until December. I have actually signed up to donate sperm (not kidding) and I have ben giving blood/plasma. I feel like I am going to be screwed for life. I just want to pay off my debt ASAP.

You're not screwed for life. Pass the bar, haul ass as a paralegal and impress the attorneys in the firm. Hopefully, that can turn into a full-time associate position.

You will figure it out. You're 26 and have a lot of life ahead of you. Best of luck.

Papagiorgio is either trolling or an idiot/0L. This is not the way it works...

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:31 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Papagiorgio is either trolling or an idiot/0L. This is not the way it works...

I couldn't agree more. If you guys want to inform yourselves (and you should) about the perils of law school and the awful situation for JDs, go peruse "JD Underground." Those guys are not 0Ls or law students; they are actual, experienced attorneys, and they are struggling a lot.

JoseAllDay

Postby JoseAllDay » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:44 pm

scammedhard wrote:
JoseAllDay wrote:Seems like you have given up. The one thing I have learned in life is never give up. If you make a career of trying someone will eventually see your determination and give you a shot. Instead of posting how shitty your life is on a forum you should use this time to hit the streets.

Typical TLS advice: "OP, you just haven't tried hard enough..."

And this comes from a guy who has a 2.3 LSAC GPA, scores in the 160s in his LSAT practice tests, and is looking into the "SLU Summer Institute." Gosh, if anything, the experience and advice the OP provides should serve as a warning to applicants like you, JoseAllDay. But I guess that as long as one tries hard enough, everything is going to b

OP: Thank you sharing your painful but very real experience; I am sure it takes a lot of guts. Best luck to you.

The difference between the OP and I is that I don't let anything stand in my way. Nor do I use forums for my personal pity party. I am well aware of my chances of securing a career after law school. I have done my research and will continue on this path. The OP has stated that he/she failed to do research. We must all live with the consequences of our actions.

JoseAllDay

Postby JoseAllDay » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:48 pm

Either way I honestly do wish the best for the OP. I was out of work for a year after I was laid off. I did temp work as a janitor and other pretty piss poor jobs. It can be tough but you can never give up.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:48 pm

MrAnon wrote:

Well there is a chance however small it might be that there are some alumni out there who are in good jobs, or are working in government jobs that might be able to help. The professors might also know people that could lead you into getting a job.

According to the Suffolk Wiki there are quite a few notable alumni.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:54 pm

merc280 wrote:
MrAnon wrote:

Well there is a chance however small it might be that there are some alumni out there who are in good jobs, or are working in government jobs that might be able to help. The professors might also know people that could lead you into getting a job.

I get the feeling you're trying to make yourself feel better about your impending matriculation to a TTT/TTTT by trying to poke around and find things OP "did wrong" that lead him to the place he's in. Stop. The only thing OP did wrong was enroll in a bottom of the food chain school in saturated market without any major connections on his side to guarantee a post law school job while failing to graduate as one of the top 5 students in his class.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:10 pm

JoseAllDay wrote:

The difference between the OP and I is that I don't let anything stand in my way. Nor do I use forums for my personal pity party. I am well aware of my chances of securing a career after law school. I have done my research and will continue on this path. The OP has stated that he/she failed to do research. We must all live with the consequences of our actions.

If you did your research how could you possibly believe that graduating from what must be at best a T3 (I suppose possibly a T2 if you are URM) is in any way a good idea? Research would let you know that "hard work" and "perseverance" doesn't seem to matter one bit given the current climate. I know that personally I wouldn't be going to a T2 except that my T2 is in a special position.

Also, if you are so hard working why the heck did you only get a 2.3? UG grades are mostly about hard work until you hit about the 3.25 mark and above.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:18 pm

I feel for you OP. Actually encountered a guy with total educational debt of 180k who lucked into a secure, good-paying non-attorney government job. Gets IBR and forgiveness after 10 years. Went to the worst school in Ohio and just right place, right time kind of thing.

Dude actually has the nerve to bitch and say he finds his job boring and unsatisfying.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:29 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
merc280 wrote:
MrAnon wrote:

I get the feeling you're trying to make yourself feel better about your impending matriculation to a TTT/TTTT by trying to poke around and find things OP "did wrong" that lead him to the place he's in. Stop. The only thing OP did wrong was enroll in a bottom of the food chain school in saturated market without any major connections on his side to guarantee a post law school job while failing to graduate as one of the top 5 students in his class.

If I needed to make myself feel better it would be by talking to someone in person, and not random graduates online. It was just a question.

JoseAllDay

Postby JoseAllDay » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:35 pm

firemed wrote:
JoseAllDay wrote:

If you did your research how could you possibly believe that graduating from what must be at best a T3 (I suppose possibly a T2 if you are URM) is in any way a good idea? Research would let you know that "hard work" and "perseverance" doesn't seem to matter one bit given the current climate. I know that personally I wouldn't be going to a T2 except that my T2 is in a special position.

Also, if you are so hard working why the heck did you only get a 2.3? UG grades are mostly about hard work until you hit about the 3.25 mark and above.

Honestly when I was younger I valued drinking and partying more than studying. I am by no means proud of it, actually more ashamed of the position I put myself in.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:35 pm

merc280 wrote:

If I needed to make myself feel better it would be by talking to someone in person, and not random graduates online. It was just a question.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=161381&p=4632738#p4632738 wrote:
merc280 wrote:
Stryka wrote:Tier 4
Top 25%ish

SMU - Admitted

:-D

Congrats. That kinda gives me hope if I do well enough to be 25% as a 1L.

Sure....

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:48 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
merc280 wrote:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=161381&p=4632738#p4632738 wrote:
merc280 wrote:
Stryka wrote:Tier 4
Top 25%ish

SMU - Admitted

:-D

Congrats. That kinda gives me hope if I do well enough to be 25% as a 1L.

Sure....

Pwnt.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:02 pm

JoseAllDay wrote:
firemed wrote:

Honestly when I was younger I valued drinking and partying more than studying. I am by no means proud of it, actually more ashamed of the position I put myself in.

Fair enough answer to the second question, but what about the first? Why would you think that T3 (or possibly T2) is a very good idea?

JoseAllDay

Postby JoseAllDay » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:20 pm

I never criticized the tier level of the school nor the school's position in this economic climate. I just stated that the OP shouldn't give up on his/her dream.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:53 pm

I was going to actually put in some effort here... I even came up with a nice analogy... but you know what?

It just isn't worth it.

JoseallDay- you didn't answer my question, but whatever.... I am done expending effort.

Good luck to everyone.... we are all going to need it.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:00 pm

thoughts about joining the military?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”