(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I Report

Yes
65%
No
35%

Total votes: 31

acrossthelake

Re: Should I Say that I am Chinese?

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:36 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:I believe I actually brought this topic up when I was applying, and from what research I did do, didn't find too much evidence of it at the law school level. There's at least none of the quota-type discrimination that the UC undergrads used to practice, and your last name will doom you to whatever individual racism you could possibly receive anyway.

Was the institutional racism a real thing? I only ask as one of seven white graduates of UC Irvine (all numbers approximate).

There were a handful of studies that showed that Asians had to score about 200 points higher than Whites on the SAT for comparable admissions rates. The common defense was "because they're all bookworms that have no personality" (which is reminiscent of what the Ivies said when they introduced "holistic" admissions to keep Jews out). Princeton, I think, stated as much when they were sued by an Asian applicant who was denied admissions. But when affirmative action was formally ended in California in the UC system(sorta) with a general idea that admissions could not take race into account for admissions, the admissions rates for Asians skyrocketed and that of Whites stayed level (while URMs plummeted). It seemed to be that some colleges were trading one minority for another. It differed a lot by school and institution, though. The changes weren't quite as drastic in some other states. I'm not saying this is as an argument against or for affirmative action, please don't get distracted by that and let it derail. It was just a real-world experiment of what happens with the admissions of Asian applicants if you don't take race into account--is it really because they're bookworms who all play piano and tennis with no personalities, or is it something else? And of course, lumping all Asians together isn't quite right in any analysis, since there tends to be different trends depending on which nation they originated from at whatever generation back you go.

ETA: Law school admissions is way more numbers-based than undergrad. With how important the LSAT is to schools, I doubt they'd do something similar.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”