do all schools have the "Why Us?" optional essay?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sangr

do all schools have the "Why Us?" optional essay?

Postby sangr » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:12 pm

i ask this mostly for the T-14 schools but:

im checking the app reqs site and it seems UVA doesnt have anything in the slot for optional essays.
does this mean they dont offer or want a why uva statement?

also on the optionals tab it states what they want, but some of em dont list that.

itd be great if someone knows.

thanks

blurbz

Re: do all schools have the "Why Us?" optional essay?

Postby blurbz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:14 pm

Not all schools have it.

I wrote one for every school I applied to, though. I think it helped.

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:15 pm

UVA doesn't specifically ask for a "Why U. Virginia" essay, but according to their Dean of Admissions, a lot of people send one in anyway and that's totally fine. From my understanding, the only other T14s to ask for a Why essay are U. Penn, U. Michigan, Northwestern (?), and Duke lets you choose between a Why and a DS.
Last edited by LaCumparsita on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chem

Postby chem » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:15 pm

Look over this,

http://www.top-law-schools.com/writing-effective-why-x-addendum.html

but short answer, for almost all schools it varies between it wont help to slightly help. T6 don't want them, and if its not an optional essay submit it as an addendum

sangr

Postby sangr » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:42 pm

i just read the guide on here and it says to

NOT write a Why X school for schools that you ED to because that in itself is the ultimate voicing of WHY X

does everyone agree/disagree?

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:16 pm

sangr wrote:i just read the guide on here and it says to

NOT write a Why X school for schools that you ED to because that in itself is the ultimate voicing of WHY X

does everyone agree/disagree?

Yes, that's essentially the view of TLSers.

sangr

Postby sangr » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:00 pm

so couldnt there be an argument to say that a Why essay for a school you are early decisioning gets more in depth and really shows more color?

not tryin to dispute that claim but its just a concern/thought that came in my mind. if anyone could put their input itd be great

thanks

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:04 pm

sangr wrote:so couldnt there be an argument to say that a Why essay for a school you are early decisioning gets more in depth and really shows more color?

not tryin to dispute that claim but its just a concern/thought that came in my mind. if anyone could put their input itd be great

thanks

It couldn't hurt, it probably just wouldn't help much. Normally a "why" essay has the main benefit of demonstrating to the adcom why you would want to enroll at the school if accepted. This makes them more likely to accept you because you're more likely to enroll. With ED, they know you're going to enroll, so the "Why" essay doesn't have that benefit.

That said, if you can use it to show why you would be an exceptionally good fit at the school, and give the adcom a reason to want to admit you, it might (although probably wouldn't) help you.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:18 pm

Well, unless poorly written, it obviously can't hurt. But an ED doesn't show a school why you want to attend, it just shows a school you want to attend. I'm a firm believer in doing what you can to boost your chances, and an essay that takes 1-2 hours and may do just that seems like a more productive use of time than spending it refreshing/panicking in a TLS ED thread while waiting for results. But that's just me.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:29 pm

chem wrote:Look over this,

http://www.top-law-schools.com/writing-effective-why-x-addendum.html

but short answer, for almost all schools it varies between it wont help to slightly help. T6 don't want them, and if its not an optional essay submit it as an addendum

Disagree. If you are over the medians/have high numbers for a school, a "why __" essay will be extremely helpful. Especially for schools like michigan and UVA.

citygirl000

Postby citygirl000 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Why X essays can be useful to avoid YP (yield protect) for the following:

Highly Recommended: Michigan, Penn, UVA
Also a good idea: Duke, Northwestern, Berkeley (incorporate into PS -which is 4 pgs)

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:04 pm

I wrote them for Michigan, Penn, UVA, and Duke and it kept me from being YP'd. While Penn and Michigan ask for extra essays, UVA doesn't, but I really think it's hugely important.

CloseTo180

Postby CloseTo180 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:53 pm

Not all of the schools require that. Moreover, some don't require personal statement I think. Also not sure if sending something that law school does not require is a good thing.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:07 am

CloseTo180 wrote:Not all of the schools require that. Moreover, some don't require personal statement I think. Also not sure if sending something that law school does not require is a good thing.

Some schools, for example UVA, have indicated they would be glad to have Why X essays even if they don't explicitly request on the application. So do some outside research and see what the deans have said about Why X essays.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:30 am

I followed TLS wisdom when I EDed to Duke (Round I) without a "Why X" essay. When ED decisions were being made, they sent me an e-mail stating, among other things, that it was rare for EDers to apply without a submitting a "Why Duke" statement, and requesting that I submit one (along with updated grades). I wrote the essay and updated my transcript and was accepted a month later in Round II.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”