Should I apply to Yale?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:03 am

No no no. I didn't mean I was guaranteed in at all. I am just sending an app for sure. Stanford would be awesome if I was lucky enough to get in.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby firemed » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:08 am

Tom Joad wrote:No no no. I didn't mean I was guaranteed in at all. I am just sending an app for sure. Stanford would be awesome if I was lucky enough to get in.


TBH I would guess you had a better chance a Y than S. But that is literally just a guess.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:13 am

firemed wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:No no no. I didn't mean I was guaranteed in at all. I am just sending an app for sure. Stanford would be awesome if I was lucky enough to get in.


TBH I would guess you had a better chance a Y than S. But that is literally just a guess.


Any reason why?

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby firemed » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:20 am

Tom Joad wrote:
firemed wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:No no no. I didn't mean I was guaranteed in at all. I am just sending an app for sure. Stanford would be awesome if I was lucky enough to get in.


TBH I would guess you had a better chance a Y than S. But that is literally just a guess.


Any reason why?


Because Y is known for making odd choices, but S is just uber-picky from everything I have heard.

So if you are in a position where you don't feel particularly confident because of, for instance, a slightly low LSAT score then Yale might actually take you anyway if you are interesting in the softs dept.... whereas Stanford seems to me to be much more willing to simply throw away an app that doesn't meet whatever the hell their standards might be...

But then again, like I said, this is a total guess. Go stalk the H, Y, and S threads and you will have a MUCH clearer picture than I can ever paint for you. It isn't like I had (or ever will have) the numbers to apply to any of the T10, much less HYS.

Sorry.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby Blessedassurance » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:17 am

Tom Joad wrote:4.07 170 non-URM Only 1 LSAT

But Yale, is it worth the effort?


Why not? The worst they could do is reject you. If you don't, you'll have to deal with the "what if".

Also, Stanford requires it's own separate application for a waiver so try that. You might luck out and then use the money you would have used for Stanford on Yale. Hypothetical though.

Also, try to hustle 80 bucks, ask relatives to give you cash for Christmas or something etc. Yale's application is weird in that, when you apply doesn't affect your chances so you have some time to come up with the money.

User avatar
LaCumparsita
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby LaCumparsita » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:43 am

Hey numbers twin! (170/4.06). Yes apply to Yale! People with lower numbers than us get admitted all the time. Why not give it a shot!?

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby freestallion » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Just give it a try. If you can't afford $100, you're going to have a problem affording $200,000 for law school.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:26 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
lawgod wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
lawgod wrote:It costs about a hundred buck.


That is 10% of all my money!


Really? Ok, apply for the waiver


I have never really thought of myself as low income or anything. I have a ps3 and everything.


Just paid my bills and I am down to $500

...and I might sell that ps3 since my tv broke

...and I am still thinking of a good Yale 250

...man I am am going to love it when I get my first big boy job paycheck.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], sonyco and 5 guests