Should I apply to Yale?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4555
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Should I apply to Yale?

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:58 pm

4.07 170 non-URM Only 1 LSAT

Nothing spectacular for softs. Internship and lots of research projects and conferences. Straight outta UG.

Harvard is a reach but I will try. Stanford is in for sure. But Yale, is it worth the effort?

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby Transferthrowaway » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:00 am

An application fee and maybe a week of hard thinking for a 250?

Yes.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 16301
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:01 am

Do you want Yale? I see ten more points out there...

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby lawgod » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:02 am

Tom Joad wrote:4.07 170 non-URM Only 1 LSAT

Nothing spectacular for softs. Internship and lots of research projects and conferences. Straight outta UG.

Harvard is a reach but I will try. Stanford is in for sure. But Yale, is it worth the effort?


Hmmm.
It costs about a hundred buck.
It takes an extra 2 hours to write a little essay.
And maybe you get in.

I'm not seeing the hesitation here. Are you afraid of rejections? Don't worry, everyone gets rejected from Yale.

Speaking of Yale, I heard Justice Sotomayor speak, and she was complaining that we don't spend enough time thinking about the law, and when she was in school they sat for hours on one point.
I wonder if that had anything to do with not having grades.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4555
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:04 am

lawgod wrote:It costs about a hundred buck.
.


That is 10% of all my money!

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby lawgod » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:06 am

Tom Joad wrote:
lawgod wrote:It costs about a hundred buck.
.


That is 10% of all my money!


Really? Ok, apply for the waiver

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4555
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:08 am

lawgod wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
lawgod wrote:It costs about a hundred buck.


That is 10% of all my money!


Really? Ok, apply for the waiver


I have never really thought of myself as low income or anything. I have a ps3 and everything.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby firemed » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:09 am

Worth it. Cost/Benefit definitely skewed in your favor.

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby lawgod » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:11 am

Tom Joad wrote:
lawgod wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
lawgod wrote:It costs about a hundred buck.


That is 10% of all my money!


Really? Ok, apply for the waiver


I have never really thought of myself as low income or anything. I have a ps3 and everything.


I was denied the waiver, even though I really had no money. In fact, I couldn't really afford to send them out until december, since I actually had no money.
I was denied the waiver from LSAC because I had done a few "bank deals" where they give you like 100 buck to open a bank account, and it was reported on a 1099Interest, and so I had too much interest income. Which made no sense since they really only care about how much principal is producing the income. I appealed and lost.
So I asked my grandpa to roll me some dough for apps. He popped me 750, which was good.
It all worked out in the end. But I probably was a bit hurt by applying december.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4555
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:16 am

lawgod wrote:I was denied the waiver, even though I really had no money. In fact, I couldn't really afford to send them out until december, since I actually had no money.
I was denied the waiver from LSAC because I had done a few "bank deals" where they give you like 100 buck to open a bank account, and it was reported on a 1099Interest, and so I had too much interest income. Which made no sense since they really only care about how much principal is producing the income. I appealed and lost.
So I asked my grandpa to roll me some dough for apps. He popped me 750, which was good.
It all worked out in the end. But I probably was a bit hurt by applying december.


Don't they ask for your parents tax info for the waiver if they claim you? Because I am sure that would ruin my chances, especially since I will be compared to lots of people who truly have nothing. I have a roof over my head and wireless internet. I think my finances are doing pretty well.

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby lawgod » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:17 am

Tom Joad wrote:
lawgod wrote:I was denied the waiver, even though I really had no money. In fact, I couldn't really afford to send them out until december, since I actually had no money.
I was denied the waiver from LSAC because I had done a few "bank deals" where they give you like 100 buck to open a bank account, and it was reported on a 1099Interest, and so I had too much interest income. Which made no sense since they really only care about how much principal is producing the income. I appealed and lost.
So I asked my grandpa to roll me some dough for apps. He popped me 750, which was good.
It all worked out in the end. But I probably was a bit hurt by applying december.


Don't they ask for your parents tax info for the waiver if they claim you? Because I am sure that would ruin my chances, especially since I will be compared to lots of people who truly have nothing. I have a roof over my head and wireless internet. I think my finances are doing pretty well.


It is made for you. You are saying you aren't going to apply because you can't afford the 100 buck. So that is you.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4555
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:18 am

lawgod wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
lawgod wrote:I was denied the waiver, even though I really had no money. In fact, I couldn't really afford to send them out until december, since I actually had no money.
I was denied the waiver from LSAC because I had done a few "bank deals" where they give you like 100 buck to open a bank account, and it was reported on a 1099Interest, and so I had too much interest income. Which made no sense since they really only care about how much principal is producing the income. I appealed and lost.
So I asked my grandpa to roll me some dough for apps. He popped me 750, which was good.
It all worked out in the end. But I probably was a bit hurt by applying december.


Don't they ask for your parents tax info for the waiver if they claim you? Because I am sure that would ruin my chances, especially since I will be compared to lots of people who truly have nothing. I have a roof over my head and wireless internet. I think my finances are doing pretty well.


It is made for you. You are saying you aren't going to apply because you can't afford the 100 buck. So that is you.


Trill.

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby lawgod » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:18 am

Tom Joad wrote:
lawgod wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
lawgod wrote:I was denied the waiver, even though I really had no money. In fact, I couldn't really afford to send them out until december, since I actually had no money.
I was denied the waiver from LSAC because I had done a few "bank deals" where they give you like 100 buck to open a bank account, and it was reported on a 1099Interest, and so I had too much interest income. Which made no sense since they really only care about how much principal is producing the income. I appealed and lost.
So I asked my grandpa to roll me some dough for apps. He popped me 750, which was good.
It all worked out in the end. But I probably was a bit hurt by applying december.


Don't they ask for your parents tax info for the waiver if they claim you? Because I am sure that would ruin my chances, especially since I will be compared to lots of people who truly have nothing. I have a roof over my head and wireless internet. I think my finances are doing pretty well.


It is made for you. You are saying you aren't going to apply because you can't afford the 100 buck. So that is you.


Trill.


Trill?

weejonbu
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby weejonbu » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:20 am

Tom Joad wrote: I have never really thought of myself as low income or anything. I have a ps3 and everything.


I believe this is the newest variable being used to define socio-economic status in the United States: PS3 = middle class.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:22 am

weejonbu wrote:I believe this is the newest variable being used to define socio-economic status in the United States: PS3 = middle class.

Tom Joad wrote: I have never really thought of myself as low income or anything. I have a ps3 and everything.


PS3 and Ipad = upper middle class

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4555
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:22 am

weejonbu wrote:I believe this is the newest variable being used to define socio-economic status in the United States: PS3 = middle class.

Tom Joad wrote: I have never really thought of myself as low income or anything. I have a ps3 and everything.


Maybe lower middle class. It is used and I got it cheaper with my store discount.

And trill means both true and real.

lawgod
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby lawgod » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:23 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
weejonbu wrote:I believe this is the newest variable being used to define socio-economic status in the United States: PS3 = middle class.

Tom Joad wrote: I have never really thought of myself as low income or anything. I have a ps3 and everything.


PS3 and Ipad = upper middle class

+ 200k in non-dischargeable debt = ...

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4555
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:33 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
weejonbu wrote:I believe this is the newest variable being used to define socio-economic status in the United States: PS3 = middle class.

Tom Joad wrote: I have never really thought of myself as low income or anything. I have a ps3 and everything.


PS3 and Ipad = upper middle class


lol you don't have an iPad. I don't know anybody with an iPad. My friend has a real iPhone though. Beat that.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby firemed » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:36 am

lawgod wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
weejonbu wrote:I believe this is the newest variable being used to define socio-economic status in the United States: PS3 = middle class.

Tom Joad wrote: I have never really thought of myself as low income or anything. I have a ps3 and everything.


PS3 and Ipad = upper middle class

+ 200k in non-dischargeable debt = ...


Lawyer.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby firemed » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:37 am

Tom Joad wrote:
And trill means both true and real.



If you are going to make up words make sure they aren't lame.

Also, stop being a wimp and apply to effing Yale when their app becomes available.

/thread

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:39 am

Tom Joad wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
weejonbu wrote:I believe this is the newest variable being used to define socio-economic status in the United States: PS3 = middle class.

Tom Joad wrote: I have never really thought of myself as low income or anything. I have a ps3 and everything.


PS3 and Ipad = upper middle class


lol you don't have an iPad. I don't know anybody with an iPad. My friend has a real iPhone though. Beat that.


lol. None of my friends are rich and/or douchey enough to own an iPad. But I've got plenty of friends that have an iPhone. Unfortunately, I don't...

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4555
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:41 am

firemed wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
And trill means both true and real.



If you are going to make up words make sure they aren't lame.

Also, stop being a wimp and apply to effing Yale when their app becomes available.

/thread


Image

Looks like I can write my 250 about my defense of an up and coming word that people are doubting.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby firemed » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:58 am

Tom Joad wrote:
Looks like I can write my 250 about my defense of an up and coming word that people are doubting.



Just because you didn't make it up doesn't mean it isn't a lame word.

Now stop arguing with me about crap that doesn't matter and apply to Yale.

User avatar
iiibbystar
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:59 am

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby iiibbystar » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:37 am

Tom Joad wrote:4.07 170 non-URM Only 1 LSAT

Nothing spectacular for softs. Internship and lots of research projects and conferences. Straight outta UG.

Harvard is a reach but I will try. Stanford is in for sure. But Yale, is it worth the effort?


How do you know Stanford is in for sure??

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby firemed » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:40 am

iiibbystar wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:4.07 170 non-URM Only 1 LSAT

Nothing spectacular for softs. Internship and lots of research projects and conferences. Straight outta UG.

Harvard is a reach but I will try. Stanford is in for sure. But Yale, is it worth the effort?


How do you know Stanford is in for sure??


good point... I have heard Stanford is notoriously fickle. People with higher LSATs than yours and 3.8s have been turned down.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: diamondlaw21 and 3 guests