Should I apply to Yale?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tom Joad

Should I apply to Yale?

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:58 pm

4.07 170 non-URM Only 1 LSAT

Nothing spectacular for softs. Internship and lots of research projects and conferences. Straight outta UG.

Harvard is a reach but I will try. Stanford is in for sure. But Yale, is it worth the effort?

Transferthrowaway

Re: Should I apply to Yale?

Postby Transferthrowaway » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:00 am

An application fee and maybe a week of hard thinking for a 250?

Yes.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:01 am

Do you want Yale? I see ten more points out there...

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:02 am

Tom Joad wrote:4.07 170 non-URM Only 1 LSAT

Nothing spectacular for softs. Internship and lots of research projects and conferences. Straight outta UG.

Harvard is a reach but I will try. Stanford is in for sure. But Yale, is it worth the effort?

Hmmm.
It costs about a hundred buck.
It takes an extra 2 hours to write a little essay.
And maybe you get in.

I'm not seeing the hesitation here. Are you afraid of rejections? Don't worry, everyone gets rejected from Yale.

Speaking of Yale, I heard Justice Sotomayor speak, and she was complaining that we don't spend enough time thinking about the law, and when she was in school they sat for hours on one point.
I wonder if that had anything to do with not having grades.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:04 am

lawgod wrote:It costs about a hundred buck.

That is 10% of all my money!

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:06 am

Tom Joad wrote:

Really? Ok, apply for the waiver

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:08 am

lawgod wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

I have never really thought of myself as low income or anything. I have a ps3 and everything.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:09 am

Worth it. Cost/Benefit definitely skewed in your favor.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:11 am

Tom Joad wrote:
lawgod wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

I have never really thought of myself as low income or anything. I have a ps3 and everything.

I was denied the waiver, even though I really had no money. In fact, I couldn't really afford to send them out until december, since I actually had no money.
I was denied the waiver from LSAC because I had done a few "bank deals" where they give you like 100 buck to open a bank account, and it was reported on a 1099Interest, and so I had too much interest income. Which made no sense since they really only care about how much principal is producing the income. I appealed and lost.
So I asked my grandpa to roll me some dough for apps. He popped me 750, which was good.
It all worked out in the end. But I probably was a bit hurt by applying december.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:16 am

lawgod wrote:I was denied the waiver, even though I really had no money. In fact, I couldn't really afford to send them out until december, since I actually had no money.
I was denied the waiver from LSAC because I had done a few "bank deals" where they give you like 100 buck to open a bank account, and it was reported on a 1099Interest, and so I had too much interest income. Which made no sense since they really only care about how much principal is producing the income. I appealed and lost.
So I asked my grandpa to roll me some dough for apps. He popped me 750, which was good.
It all worked out in the end. But I probably was a bit hurt by applying december.

Don't they ask for your parents tax info for the waiver if they claim you? Because I am sure that would ruin my chances, especially since I will be compared to lots of people who truly have nothing. I have a roof over my head and wireless internet. I think my finances are doing pretty well.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:17 am

Tom Joad wrote:
lawgod wrote:I was denied the waiver, even though I really had no money. In fact, I couldn't really afford to send them out until december, since I actually had no money.

Don't they ask for your parents tax info for the waiver if they claim you? Because I am sure that would ruin my chances, especially since I will be compared to lots of people who truly have nothing. I have a roof over my head and wireless internet. I think my finances are doing pretty well.

It is made for you. You are saying you aren't going to apply because you can't afford the 100 buck. So that is you.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:18 am

lawgod wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

It is made for you. You are saying you aren't going to apply because you can't afford the 100 buck. So that is you.

Trill.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:18 am

Tom Joad wrote:
lawgod wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

Trill.

Trill?

weejonbu

Postby weejonbu » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:20 am

Tom Joad wrote: I have never really thought of myself as low income or anything. I have a ps3 and everything.

I believe this is the newest variable being used to define socio-economic status in the United States: PS3 = middle class.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:22 am

weejonbu wrote:I believe this is the newest variable being used to define socio-economic status in the United States: PS3 = middle class.

Tom Joad wrote: I have never really thought of myself as low income or anything. I have a ps3 and everything.

PS3 and Ipad = upper middle class

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:22 am

weejonbu wrote:I believe this is the newest variable being used to define socio-economic status in the United States: PS3 = middle class.

Maybe lower middle class. It is used and I got it cheaper with my store discount.

And trill means both true and real.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:23 am

yngblkgifted wrote:

+ 200k in non-dischargeable debt = ...

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:33 am

yngblkgifted wrote:

lol you don't have an iPad. I don't know anybody with an iPad. My friend has a real iPhone though. Beat that.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:36 am

lawgod wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

+ 200k in non-dischargeable debt = ...

Lawyer.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:37 am

Tom Joad wrote:

If you are going to make up words make sure they aren't lame.

Also, stop being a wimp and apply to effing Yale when their app becomes available.

/thread

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:39 am

Tom Joad wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

lol you don't have an iPad. I don't know anybody with an iPad. My friend has a real iPhone though. Beat that.

lol. None of my friends are rich and/or douchey enough to own an iPad. But I've got plenty of friends that have an iPhone. Unfortunately, I don't...

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:41 am

firemed wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

If you are going to make up words make sure they aren't lame.

Also, stop being a wimp and apply to effing Yale when their app becomes available.

/thread

Looks like I can write my 250 about my defense of an up and coming word that people are doubting.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:58 am

Tom Joad wrote:
Looks like I can write my 250 about my defense of an up and coming word that people are doubting.

Just because you didn't make it up doesn't mean it isn't a lame word.

Now stop arguing with me about crap that doesn't matter and apply to Yale.

iiibbystar

Postby iiibbystar » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:37 am

How do you know Stanford is in for sure??

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:40 am

iiibbystar wrote:

How do you know Stanford is in for sure??

good point... I have heard Stanford is notoriously fickle. People with higher LSATs than yours and 3.8s have been turned down.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”