Boosting Work Experience?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tmon

Boosting Work Experience?

Postby tmon » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:57 pm

Kind of a specific question for my situation. I graduated undergrad in 2010, am retaking the LSAT in October and hoping for a 170something. I've got a year of AmeriCorps work experience under my belt, which ended in June. Since that ended I've been applying to some jobs, but nothing's biting, and I've also been putting a lot of time in on LSAT prep. However, one of my real targets is NU, so I want to be able to say that I'll have 2 years of work experience by the time I enroll, so I have a good shot there. I also feel like just giving up and applying to Starbucks wont really look to great either. My options as I see them are:

-Apply for another year of Americorps, but doing something random like volunteer coordination, not law related

-Talk to my Americorps site and ask if they'd have me back for a year. I somewhat have a standing invite for this because they really liked me there. The benefits of this would be that I could just say that I worked there from '10-'12 and it'd look more like a solid 2 years. It's not law-relevant though, but is largely grantwriting, which is at least keeping my writing skills up to par. I could also probably wait until around October to do this, which would conveniently allow me to put my all into LSAT studying until going back to work.

-Keep applying the way I am and hope things work out. I've been applying to paralegal positions, but I don't really have an in anywhere nor do I have experience, so I'm not sure this will really work out well for me.

-Try to get into a test prep company, assuming I get my 170something, which I should, or worst case scenario, freelance. I've tutored in the past and already feel like I've prepped enough that I could do some good 1 on 1 instruction. I've got some friends who tutor LSAT material and they think I'd be good at it. not sure how this counts toward 2 years for NU though?

What's my best option here?

firemed

Re: Boosting Work Experience?

Postby firemed » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:08 am

Legal Secretary?

Teaching?

Work at local UG or CC?

Tutoring?

tmon

Postby tmon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:15 am

Should I assume that most non-outstanding options are more or less going to look the same on a resume to law schools? Would they look more kindly on a paralegal/legal secretary for a year than someone who worked in a nonprofit? What about test prep tutoring?

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:18 am

I'd say your best option is continuing Americorps, either with your current placement or a new one, or trying to work at a non-profit job. This would give you more solid experience and would show some sort of continuous thread, and shows your commitment.

I don't think you have to do anything law related, unless you personally want to get a better understanding of what the legal field is like.

I think either doing Americorps or non-profit work or paralegal type work would all be looked at similarly in admissions. Both IMO would be > starbucks/test prep tutoring. For NU, the more leadership/management/impressive WE you have the better, I suppose.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:33 am

tmon wrote:Should I assume that most non-outstanding options are more or less going to look the same on a resume to law schools? Would they look more kindly on a paralegal/legal secretary for a year than someone who worked in a nonprofit? What about test prep tutoring?

From what I understand, it's difficult to get a paralegal position if they know you'll only be there for a year.

Also, I've been doing test prep tutoring for a few years now, and it isn't a full-time job. I consider myself lucky if I get 10 hours/week. But it's a nice way to supplement whatever else you might do next year.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:34 am

Maybe I'm wrong but I would think having two solid years at one job would look best on your resume. Shows that you have some dedication (maybe would look better to law firms when the time comes as well). So maybe it would be better to stay where you are if you like it? Just my thought.

tmon

Postby tmon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:49 am

Thanks guys. I think you're probably right that doing another term of AmeriCorps/staying at my last site might be best. I guess I misjudged how likely I'd be able to snag a lower level, but more law-relevant job would be. I'll probably see if my last site will have me back first, and if that doesn't work out see if I can get on board with another site.

Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”