LSAC form Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
admisionquestion

Bronze

LSAC form

Post by admisionquestion » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:38 pm

Why does LSAC compute LSAT and GPA averages from your school?

I can think of many possible answers but I was wondering if anyone knew the actual reason... because especially LSAT seems rather irrelevant, in judging your as a candidate.

I get that "better schools" would have "better LSAT" but "grade inflating schools" do not necessarily correlate to better or worse... so why would they care it doesn't solve any actual computational problem.

Dany

Diamond

Re: LSAC form

Post by Dany » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:05 pm

admisionquestion wrote:I get that "better schools" would have "better LSAT" but "grade inflating schools" do not necessarily correlate to better or worse... so why would they care it doesn't solve any actual computational problem.
It's not to compare you to applicants from other schools, necessarily, but to show where you fell at your school. A 3.5 where the average GPA is a 3.6 is pretty bad. If the average GPA is a 3.0, however, that 3.5 looks better.

But keep in mind that none of this really matters too much, because law schools will care about the numbers they send to US News. They don't get to include a note saying "But, like, his school was really hard."

Oh, and the LSAT does have some degree correlation with first-year grades. It's not totally irrelevant in judging candidacy for law school.

admisionquestion

Bronze

Re: LSAC form

Post by admisionquestion » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Right. But Why do they computer your schools average LSAT.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”