GPA Conversion HELP!!!!!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JSC4
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:55 pm

GPA Conversion HELP!!!!!

Postby JSC4 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:05 am

How would I calculate my LSDAS GPA if I am not from the US and my grading system is as follows:

90-100 = A+ /4.0
85-89 = A / 3.9
80-84 = A- / 3.7
75-79 = B+ / 3.3

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ulator.htm
From this calculator it says that:

98-100 = A+ /4.33
93-97 = A / 4.0
90-92 = A- / 3.67
etc.

So if my marks at my school were all flat 90's, would I be at an A- or an A+?
Is there a special conversion scale for those in Canadian or international schools?
At my specific school/program, obtaining a grade of 85% is incredibly difficult (top 1-5%) and would land you pretty much any interview you need at some of the top investment banks, but by looking at the LSDAS conversion this would be nothing more than a 3.0.

So if anybody could shed some light on this that would be great

BKB
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:15 am

Re: GPA Conversion HELP!!!!!

Postby BKB » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:47 am

As I understand, internatinal students won't have a LSDAS GPA.
Intead, there will be an evaluation, as LSAC would assign superior, above average or average on your report.
All the addcom can see from the report is your averaged raw scrore (something like 85) and an evaluation (i.e. superior or above average).

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: GPA Conversion HELP!!!!!

Postby albanach » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:53 am

BKB wrote:As I understand, internatinal students won't have a LSDAS GPA.
Intead, there will be an evaluation, as LSAC would assign superior, above average or average on your report.
All the addcom can see from the report is your averaged raw scrore (something like 85) and an evaluation (i.e. superior or above average).


I'm not sure that's the case. Where a graduate is from a country that doesn't use numerical grades you get a narrative score like 'above average'. I think where there is a numerical score it may be converted to a US style GPA. At least that's what is suggested by the LSAC website:

http://www.lsac.org/jd/Help/faqs-cas.asp#gpa-different

That shows that, say, a 98 would be converted to an A+ And get you a 4.33

BKB
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:15 am

Re: GPA Conversion HELP!!!!!

Postby BKB » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:49 am

I don't know what's the case for other countries, but at least for Chinese students, no LSDAS GPA is available.

User avatar
curiouscat
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: GPA Conversion HELP!!!!!

Postby curiouscat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:58 pm

Canadian, OP? It'll be calculated based on the letter grades your university gave, not numbers. I had the same situation, and my 90-100's were calculated as A+/4.33.

JSC4
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:55 pm

Re: GPA Conversion HELP!!!!!

Postby JSC4 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:33 am

curiouscat wrote:Canadian, OP? It'll be calculated based on the letter grades your university gave, not numbers. I had the same situation, and my 90-100's were calculated as A+/4.33.

K i just found out that my school (Canadian) provides percentage grades rather than the letter grades on the transcript.
so...... lol what now?

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: GPA Conversion HELP!!!!!

Postby albanach » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:29 am

JSC4 wrote:
curiouscat wrote:Canadian, OP? It'll be calculated based on the letter grades your university gave, not numbers. I had the same situation, and my 90-100's were calculated as A+/4.33.

K i just found out that my school (Canadian) provides percentage grades rather than the letter grades on the transcript.
so...... lol what now?


Did you read the page I linked to? It has a conversion table.

JSC4
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:55 pm

Re: GPA Conversion HELP!!!!!

Postby JSC4 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:17 pm

albanach wrote:
JSC4 wrote:
curiouscat wrote:Canadian, OP? It'll be calculated based on the letter grades your university gave, not numbers. I had the same situation, and my 90-100's were calculated as A+/4.33.

K i just found out that my school (Canadian) provides percentage grades rather than the letter grades on the transcript.
so...... lol what now?


Did you read the page I linked to? It has a conversion table.

yes but a Canadian 90% is VERYYY different from an American 90%, so it would not be possible to convert using the table.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: GPA Conversion HELP!!!!!

Postby albanach » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:16 pm

JSC4 wrote:yes but a Canadian 90% is VERYYY different from an American 90%, so it would not be possible to convert using the table.


Then hopefully the credentials assembly service agrees. It only takes about two weeks once you send LSAC your transcript.

A few minutes with google shows plenty of others have encountered the same problem in the past. Perhaps as a result LSAC are more aware of the issue. That said, LSAC rules have hurt plenty of US educated students too.

bookishme
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:25 pm

Re: GPA Conversion HELP!!!!!

Postby bookishme » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:19 pm

Grades from Canada are converted into LSDAS GPA? I am confused, http://www.lsac.org/JD/Help/faqs-cas.asp#gpa-different

Under this question: "My cumulative GPA is different on my transcripts than on the LSAC Academic Summary Report. Why?"
LSAC states:
"US grades are converted by LSAC to a standard 4.0 system in order to furnish law schools with a uniform basis for comparing applicants. LSAC-member schools, in establishing the Credential Assembly Service, have selected a common set of numerical values to represent the various grading systems used by colleges. This system may vary from that of the college you attended."

It says that only US grades are converted by the LSAC, so what happens to Canadian grades? Are you sure that it gets converted in the same manner?

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: GPA Conversion HELP!!!!!

Postby albanach » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:39 pm

bookishme wrote:It says that only US grades are converted by the LSAC, so what happens to Canadian grades? Are you sure that it gets converted in the same manner?


No, I'm not sure. As is often the case with these questions, only LSAC can really give a definitive answer.

However, this page http://www.lsac.org/policies/transcript ... zation.asp refers to US & Canadian grades and links to the same conversion table.

I haven't seen any mention of the foreign credentials service being used to analyze Canadian transcripts either which would seem to be the only way that a transcript can be reviewed on a basis other than the raw numbers it contains. Again, LSAC could confirm if that's the case.

bookishme
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:25 pm

Re: GPA Conversion HELP!!!!!

Postby bookishme » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:28 pm

Just called LSAC, and the rep I spoke to confirmed that Canadian grades are converted in the same way as US grades. Still feel a little weird about that chart though. :|




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 5 guests