corporate law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
naf34

New

corporate law

Post by naf34 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:12 am

What are the best schools for corporate law, is there anywhere that I can find a list, I do not believe that us news provides such a category.

Shammis

Bronze

Re: corporate law

Post by Shammis » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:18 am

not from 'round these parts are you? Here is the short of it. Go to the highest ranked school you can and go into BigLaw. Specializations and tracks really dont mean anything from a hiring perspective. It's all about your SA after 2L. For corporate law, go to NYC, models and bottles yadayada. Im going to do Corporate in Los Angeles (ideally) but from my understanding you have your best shot in NYC...good luck brosef.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:41 am

jstubbs wrote:not from 'round these parts are you? Here is the short of it. Go to the highest ranked school you can and go into BigLaw. Specializations and tracks really dont mean anything from a hiring perspective. It's all about your SA after 2L. For corporate law, go to NYC, models and bottles yadayada. Im going to do Corporate in Los Angeles (ideally) but from my understanding you have your best shot in NYC...good luck brosef.
This is correct, with the caveat that US News rankings don't directly correlate to hiring at firms that do corporate work. Don't go to Indiana or Iowa over Fordham despite the midwestern schools being higher in the rankings, for example. This is the most recent list of placement at the largest firms in the country, but things fluctuate and such, especially in this economy (it also doesn't include stuff like clerkships and public interest, though it's decent in broad strokes for showing relative placement strengths).

Also, unless you're going to a very high placing school, don't go to law school anticipating getting a biglaw job. They're few and far between these days.

zarathustra25

New

Post by zarathustra25 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:57 pm

Spot on with the NYC advice. Check the placement stats that were posted. This all depends on your LSAT score, but Cornell, surprisingly, crushed it last year, and doesn't require awesome stats (better than mine, so I mean awesome by this board's standards). It is looking like NYU should be avoided if you can get into other top schools in the range due to its poor (relatively) placement stats lately. Columbia is high on this list, but many firm attorneys seem to think that the school is overrated. Don't take my word on that one. Boston and BC are good bets if your scores are not that high and you don't mind working in Boston. I hear that this is an exceptionally tough market, but they place well if you are in the top 40 percent of your class-ish.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:51 pm

Confused.
zarathustra25 wrote:Spot on with the NYC advice.
So we're after NYC.
zarathustra25 wrote:Check the placement stats that were posted. This all depends on your LSAT score, but Cornell, surprisingly, crushed it last year, and doesn't require awesome stats (better than mine, so I mean awesome by this board's standards).
Cornell is okay then.
zarathustra25 wrote:It is looking like NYU should be avoided if you can get into other top schools in the range due to its poor (relatively) placement stats lately.
But avoid NYU.
zarathustra25 wrote:Columbia is high on this list, but many firm attorneys seem to think that the school is overrated. Don't take my word on that one.
And avoid CLS, the other NYC member of the T6.

Bewildering and weird. I like it. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:54 pm

zarathustra25 wrote:Spot on with the NYC advice. Check the placement stats that were posted. This all depends on your LSAT score, but Cornell, surprisingly, crushed it last year, and doesn't require awesome stats (better than mine, so I mean awesome by this board's standards). It is looking like NYU should be avoided if you can get into other top schools in the range due to its poor (relatively) placement stats lately. Columbia is high on this list, but many firm attorneys seem to think that the school is overrated. Don't take my word on that one. Boston and BC are good bets if your scores are not that high and you don't mind working in Boston. I hear that this is an exceptionally tough market, but they place well if you are in the top 40 percent of your class-ish.
wtf, man

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:58 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
zarathustra25 wrote:Spot on with the NYC advice. Check the placement stats that were posted. This all depends on your LSAT score, but Cornell, surprisingly, crushed it last year, and doesn't require awesome stats (better than mine, so I mean awesome by this board's standards). It is looking like NYU should be avoided if you can get into other top schools in the range due to its poor (relatively) placement stats lately. Columbia is high on this list, but many firm attorneys seem to think that the school is overrated. Don't take my word on that one. Boston and BC are good bets if your scores are not that high and you don't mind working in Boston. I hear that this is an exceptionally tough market, but they place well if you are in the top 40 percent of your class-ish.
wtf, man
Lol'd. Ty

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:48 pm

zarathustra25 wrote:Spot on with the NYC advice. Check the placement stats that were posted. This all depends on your LSAT score, but Cornell, surprisingly, crushed it last year, and doesn't require awesome stats (better than mine, so I mean awesome by this board's standards). It is looking like NYU should be avoided if you can get into other top schools in the range due to its poor (relatively) placement stats lately. Columbia is high on this list, but many firm attorneys seem to think that the school is overrated. Don't take my word on that one.Boston and BC are good bets if your scores are not that high and you don't mind working in Boston. I hear that this is an exceptionally tough market, but they place well if you are in the top 40 percent of your class-ish.
That's all you need to extract from this post.

zarathustra25

New

Post by zarathustra25 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:50 pm

I am confused...am I the only one looking at Cornell's placement stats last year?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:52 pm

zarathustra25 wrote:I am confused...am I the only one looking at Cornell's placement stats last year?
Are you the only one trying to give advice based upon NLJ250 numbers for a class that did OCI three years ago? Answer: Yes.

zarathustra25

New

Post by zarathustra25 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:57 pm

Helmholtz, you have some sort of mental disability, clearly. There are posts in this forum about Cornell's OCI. Rougher now, yes, worse than most, not at all. (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=126910). Given the medians there, it's an excellent choice for Biglaw, if one expects to work hard, rather than resting on laurels.

"A big move came from Cornell Law School, ranked No. 2 on this year's list. It sent 58.3% of its 192 graduates in 2010 to NLJ 250 firms, compared with 41.5% of the 2009 class."

and from Above the Law: "there’s no argument here: if your goal is to get a large law-firm job, CLS is a great place to go. As pointed out by the NLJ, Cornell 'sent 58.3% of its 192 graduates in 2010 to NLJ 250 firms, compared with 41.5% of the 2009 class.'"

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2483536206

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/03/best-law ... -job-2011/

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/goto%20l ... s_main.pdf

2010 graduates I believe were last year, correct me if I am wrong. If you're going to try to argue that from here on, the 2011-2014 grads are F'ed there, then you are a joke just pulling shit out of your ass for no good reason. Let me guess, you believe anyone under 178 LSAT should put a bullet in their head? Given that you have 10k+ posts here, I can't imagine how many cycles you have managed to completely destroy for people who took your advice.

BU/BC both place highly, consistently, given their medians, as I said. The OP can look at the stats and this website's profiles on them, or he can listen to you. I am assuming he'll choose the former. NYU places highly, of course, but given their admissions stats, they are doing worse than they should be lately. You can babble self-selection for clerkships and PI (which they do well in, no doubt,) but either way Cornell crushed given numbers and NYU did not. Here's some more advice you can wrongly shoot down: OP, if your numbers are not that high, I'd say look into big scholies somewhere like Tulane, Brooklyn, or Dozo and work your ass off. Top of the class will have a shot. I am already predicting the unnecessary snide remarks here, so hopefully OP will get past those. If you have a chance at T14, do that, otherwise focus on the OCI stats and try to pull the best scholies you can.
Last edited by zarathustra25 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:32 am

I'm just confused about how Cornell ended up above CLS and NYU. You're advising people to skip top schools in favor of Cornell? If that's the only option, then fine, but otherwise... NLJ250 placement stats are extremely misleading imo, although that's been up for discussion for awhile. CLS and NYU place in better firms than Cornell does, and in a broader geographic range. Cornell is very good. But it's not better than CLS and NYU. Don't over-interpret one year's stats.

edit: Also, did you tell someone to go to Brooklyn? Did the hiring market pick up way more than... I really want it to?

zarathustra25

New

Post by zarathustra25 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:03 am

Clearly, I am not suggesting the OP choose Brooklyn or Dozo over NYU given the opportunity. I am suggesting that, if not given the opportunity to go T-14, these schools are worth a look if s/he is still looking to pursue Biglaw. The chances there are not great, but there is still a chance, unlike other similarly ranked programs. God damn, I cannot believe I had to explain that. And to clarify, if your options are NYU or Cornell, I'd still suggest NYU. However, Cornell is a great option for those who have no shot at NYU and still want to work Biglaw. Even at previous OCI's before 2010 they were always above the 35 percent mark, and that is not bad at all. I expect they will only do better and better. If you want to bicker about how I make that prediction, I'll provide more links, though I'm not in the mood to go mining those up now. Further, just to pre-empt those who are going to fire back that the top programs are self-selecting into clerkships/government/teaching, that does not matter to me and should not matter to the OP. Almost half the class in Biglaw is just awesome, and if I could go CLS I definitely would because I like to play the odds and those odds are amazing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:14 am

This site is full of people who are extremely anti-debt. That means many of them will tell you that debt at lower tier schools is much worse than debt at higher tier schools. This is why HYS gets privileged above CCN gets privileged above MVPBNDC (can't remember who I'm slighting there :D ) above G and then super-regionals like Texas, Vandy, UCLA, and so forth. Their debt is less likely to be paid off quickly.

When people snap at Brooklyn or Dozo, it's because it's a bad financial decision. If you really want to be a lawyer, do it. But the debt doesn't magically go away - the government legislated that option away. You're better have a plan about "being" a lawyer, not expecting it to just automatically make money for you.

zarathustra25

New

Post by zarathustra25 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:36 am

Debt is easy to get out of, you can ask my dad on that one. My advice will always be to take a T-14 at sticker over $ or even $$ at something T2. Sure, Republicans made bankruptcy for students harder, but there is always a way to climb out of debt. My entire family has been buried in debt and worked around it, and they sure as hell didn't get professional degrees to do it. I'm guessing those concerned about debt will be kicking themselves in a decade's time. Unless you want that first mansion at 30, education debt should not even cross your mind, in my not-at-all humble opinion.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:23 am

Just wanted to point out that there is no way in hell that zarathustra25 is not a troll.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:26 am

How do these two comments:
Helmholtz wrote:wtf, man
Helmholtz wrote:Are you the only one trying to give advice based upon NLJ250 numbers for a class that did OCI three years ago? Answer: Yes.
Possibly lead to this?
zarathustra25 wrote:Helmholtz, you have some sort of mental disability, clearly.
There's only one rational explanation:
Helmholtz wrote:Just wanted to point out that there is no way in hell that zarathustra25 is not a troll.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:35 am

zarathustra25 wrote:Debt is easy to get out of, you can ask my dad on that one.
Wtf does this mean

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:38 am

thecilent wrote:
Wtf does this mean
Wait.

Is this taxguy's son?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:46 am

vanwinkle wrote:
thecilent wrote:
Wtf does this mean
Wait.

Is this taxguy's son?
Lol was thinking the same thing

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:53 am

zarathustra25 wrote:Debt is easy to get out of, you can ask my dad on that one. My advice will always be to take a T-14 at sticker over $ or even $$ at something T2. Sure, Republicans made bankruptcy for students harder, but there is always a way to climb out of debt. My entire family has been buried in debt and worked around it, and they sure as hell didn't get professional degrees to do it. I'm guessing those concerned about debt will be kicking themselves in a decade's time. Unless you want that first mansion at 30, education debt should not even cross your mind, in my not-at-all humble opinion.
I asked your dad and he said that being in debt sucks and he is embarrassed his son is a dumbass

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:18 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Just wanted to point out that there is no way in hell that zarathustra25 is not a troll.
+1

At first it was kind of entertaining how absurd his posts were. But now it's just annoying.

Chief Littlebighead

New

Post by Chief Littlebighead » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:55 pm

vanwinkle wrote: Wait.

Is this taxguy's son?
Lol, very good call here. I've noticed this guy's posts around other sections of the board, and they all seem to contain the lulz. Also, the Grateful Dead called, they want their sweater back.

lawgod

Bronze

Post by lawgod » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:59 pm

naf34 wrote:What are the best schools for corporate law, is there anywhere that I can find a list, I do not believe that us news provides such a category.
Yale and Harvard are decent. CLS does the trick usually.

fanmingrui

Bronze

Post by fanmingrui » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:21 am

vanwinkle wrote:
thecilent wrote:
Wtf does this mean
Wait.

Is this taxguy's son?
Please tell me it is. Lie to me if you must.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”