Resume Format

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
theaether

Re: Resume Format

Postby theaether » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:07 pm

yeah that graphic at the top next to your name is way too flashy for no good reason

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:07 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:That resume looks cool and I appreciate the Arrested Development references but for a legal resume you need to scrap that and start over

Agreed. I don't think the graphics (or the font) are appropriate.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Dany wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:That resume looks cool and I appreciate the Arrested Development references but for a legal resume you need to scrap that and start over

Agreed. I don't think the graphics (or the font) are appropriate.

<-- Fail. *grumble* stupid law school, being all boring and conservative...*grumble*

Thanks everybody for the input! I guess it's back to the drawing board...

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:07 pm

Should we put our LSDAS GPA or our normal GPA on our resumes?

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:12 pm

Helicio wrote:Should we put our LSDAS GPA or our normal GPA on our resumes?

I would go with LSDAS GPA for consistency if it's a good GPA, but if it's not and your degree GPA is much higher, I'd list that (but make sure you clarify exactly what GPA you're putting.) At the end of the day, they'll care most about LSDAS, but it can't hurt to have a reminder that your degree GPA was great if your LSDAS one isn't so hot.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:37 pm

You put the gpa that is on your transcript from your graduating institution. Nuff said.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:59 pm

Dany wrote:
Helicio wrote:Should we put our LSDAS GPA or our normal GPA on our resumes?

I would go with LSDAS GPA for consistency if it's a good GPA, but if it's not and your degree GPA is much higher, I'd list that (but make sure you clarify exactly what GPA you're putting.) At the end of the day, they'll care most about LSDAS, but it can't hurt to have a reminder that your degree GPA was great if your LSDAS one isn't so hot.

No, you put your school GPA

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:31 pm

Dany wrote:
sparty99 wrote:The Harvard resumes are poor examples. The job descriptions are not that impressive and lack the STAR format. They also use phrases that most people have no idea what they are talking about - especially the McKinsey resume.

I understood everything just fine and don't know the first thing about consulting.

That said, this section is making my eyes bleed:

--ImageRemoved--

Good god that formatting is horrendous.

I just used this resume to reformat mine. It is really clear and to the point except for that section; if you guys are looking for a format to use you might want to check this one out.

Ernert

Postby Ernert » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:28 pm

OK/worthwhile to put your major/departmental gpa on if its reasonably better than your lsdas/cumulative?

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:40 pm

Sheehan wrote:OK/worthwhile to put your major/departmental gpa on if its reasonably better than your lsdas/cumulative?

Yes...I did this for a little while after undergrad, even though my overall gpa was pretty high. But the major gpa was like a 3.9, so I put that first.

blink

Postby blink » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:40 pm

:shock:

Anyone else feel a little queasy looking at those HLS resumes? Holy shit.

ihhwap1

Postby ihhwap1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:50 pm

Last edited by ihhwap1 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:10 pm

ihhwap1 wrote:So did you guys put your honors/awards under your education section? I have a list at the bottom of the resume of all the scholarships/awards I've gotten during undergrad, but every admissions book says it should be put under education (like in the sample resume 1)? I feel like that's too clunky.

Honestly, employers don't care too much about all the honors/awards you have acquired. Especially, if it from undergrad. Yes, it is clunky which is why you should put maybe one or two. For example, "Dean's List" or cum laude. Then leave it at that....

If you have honors from Law school, definitely put that. But don't get too carried away. "Law Review," "Moot Court," "Number 1 in Torts," is something you should emphasize. If you are part of 5 or 10 organizations or awards, well, that's just too damn much and the reader loses focus.

ihhwap1

Postby ihhwap1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:17 pm

Last edited by ihhwap1 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:13 pm

ihhwap1 wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
ihhwap1 wrote:So did you guys put your honors/awards under your education section? I have a list at the bottom of the resume of all the scholarships/awards I've gotten during undergrad, but every admissions book says it should be put under education (like in the sample resume 1)? I feel like that's too clunky.

Honestly, employers don't care too much about all the honors/awards you have acquired. Especially, if it from undergrad. Yes, it is clunky which is why you should put maybe one or two. For example, "Dean's List" or cum laude. Then leave it at that....

If you have honors from Law school, definitely put that. But don't get too carried away. "Law Review," "Moot Court," "Number 1 in Torts," is something you should emphasize. If you are part of 5 or 10 organizations or awards, well, that's just too damn much and the reader loses focus.

My bad, I thought we were talking about law school admissions resumes. I'm a 0L (or technically a -1L, I'm applying this fall), but I'll remember your advice when I'm in law school :D

Any 0Ls have an answer?

For honors/awards in law school admissions, put that up front. You can make a seperate heading called honors/awards...It is also important to not get too carried away so it doesn't look clunky.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:27 pm

My honors and awards from undergrad have been the subject of conversation in several interviews and in a handful of cases were the reason I was offered an interview. . . maybe your awards sucked? I don't think it is wise to leave them off, its just two or three lines of text, and can really add color to your resume.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:29 pm

Edit - Withdrawn.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:37 pm

ihhwap1 wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

My bad, I thought we were talking about law school admissions resumes. I'm a 0L (or technically a -1L, I'm applying this fall), but I'll remember your advice when I'm in law school :D

Any 0Ls have an answer?

I had a separate section for Honors on my admissions resume. The best ones are moved to the Education section on my legal employment resume and the less cool ones I just took off.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:37 pm

Cupidity wrote:My honors and awards from undergrad have been the subject of conversation in several interviews and in a handful of cases were the reason I was offered an interview. . . maybe your awards sucked? I don't think it is wise to leave them off, its just two or three lines of text, and can really add color to your resume.

Maybe I have more things to showcase then the fact that I received acceptance to some study abroad program or some national honor society that no one cares about.....

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:39 pm

Cupidity wrote:My honors and awards from undergrad have been the subject of conversation in several interviews and in a handful of cases were the reason I was offered an interview. . . maybe your awards sucked? I don't think it is wise to leave them off, its just two or three lines of text, and can really add color to your resume.

Can you elaborate on what types of awards you kept on? If you don't want to post them, a PM would be appreciated! Trying to get my resume all finished up before 1L starts.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”